Sox pass in Rule V draft.

southsider2k5

By Mark Gonzales

INDIANAPOLIS - The White Sox are expected to invest their remaining financial resources toward a free agent or player acquired in a trade, which reduces the already slim possibility that they will make a selection in Thursday morning's Rule 5 draft.

The Sox, however, stand a slight chance of losing a player that could gain them $50,000 for the draft price. Considering the dearth of left-handed relievers, the Sox could lose left-hander Wes Whisler.

Whisler was outrighted to Triple-A Charlotte on Sept. 25. He allowed two runs in three brief appearances with the Sox before he was returned to Charlotte, where he started the 2009 season with a 5-3 record and 2.81 ERA in his first 10 starts before slipping in the second half.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
He wasn't kept on the 25-man all year though and was actually acquired by the Sox during Spring.

Not doubting you but I could have swore they took him in The Rule V, he stayed on the 40 man and spent some time in the minors before coming up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Grilli

I remember him pitching against Cle and giving up 5 runs in the 1st inning and then being pretty dominant after that.

Edited by whitesox91403

QUOTE (whitesox91403 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Not doubting you but I could have swore they took him in The Rule V, he stayed on the 40 man and spent some time in the minors before coming up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Grilli

I remember him pitching against Cle and giving up 5 runs in the 1st inning and then being pretty dominant after that.

The Sox did select him in the Rule V draft. They didn't keep him on the 25-man all year. That's all that was stated.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Yeah... when was the last time you can remember picking up a guy in the draft, and keeping him on the 25-man? I seem to remember a long history of passing.

When Hawk was the GM, he selected Bobby Bonilla in the rule 5. He later traded him back to Pittsburgh for Jose DeLeon, who eventually was traded for Lance Johnson.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
Read the cubs drafted josh hamilton in the rule 5 a few years ago and traded him to reds right away... i can't believe hendry is still gm.

yea,hes made some pretty good trades like getting harden,lee and ramirez for nothing but most of his signings have been bad. like the whole outfield,dempster for 5 yrs,etc

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
Read the cubs drafted josh hamilton in the rule 5 a few years ago and traded him to reds right away... i can't believe hendry is still gm.

Hamilton was pretty much a persona non grata at that point. There weren't going to be many teams that took a chance on him with his history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Hamilton was pretty much a persona non grata at that point. There weren't going to be many teams that took a chance on him with his history.

Wasnt his mentor or something in Cincy at the time, so it was more of a trade done for Hamilton's sake than anything else?