marsh

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, December 11, 2009

WHITE SOX AGREE TO TERMS ONE ONE-YEAR CONTRACT

WITH PITCHER J.J. PUTZ

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox and right-handed pitcher J.J. Putz (Puts) have agreed to terms on a one-year, $3-million contract.

Putz, 32, is 23-19 with a 3.24 ERA (127 ER/352.1 IP), 103 saves and 356 strikeouts in 337 relief appearances over seven major-league seasons with Seattle (2003-2008) and the New York Mets (2009).

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder spent the 2009 season with the Mets, going 1-4 with a 5.22 ERA (17 ER/29.1 IP), 10 holds and two saves in 29 relief appearances. He underwent arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone spur in his right elbow on June 9 and missed the remainder of the season.

From 2006-07, Putz ranked among the major-league relief leaders in strikeouts (2nd, 186), ERA (3rd, 1.86), strikeouts per 9.0 IP (3rd, 11.16), saves (3rd, 76), opponents average (4th, .182), wins (T4th, 10) and IP (6th, 150.0). His best season came in 2007 when he went 6-1 with a 1.38 ERA (11 ER/71.2 IP) and a career-high 40 saves in 42 chances.

Putz, a member of the 2007 American League All-Star Team, originally was drafted by Seattle in the sixth round of the 1999 draft. He was traded to the Mets as part of a three-team deal on December 11, 2008.

Big fan of this move, but hopefully it doesn't force out D.J. because then I don't like it so much. If he returns to full health, I like the make-up of the pen.

9th-Jenks

8th-Thornton

7th-Putz

6th-Pena/Williams/Linebrink

Long relief-DJ

With our starting pitching, we really needed another shut down guy in the 7th and 8th since that's where most of the starters will leave the game.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
If this means Carrasco's out, I don't like it.

If DJ's still around, this signing is fine.

How much can D.J. really make in arbitration? I can't imagine it's in excess of $2 million, but he has got to be on the team. Saves a lot of games with his ability to pitch many innings.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
How much can D.J. really make in arbitration? I can't imagine it's in excess of $2 million, but he has got to be on the team. Saves a lot of games with his ability to pitch many innings.

You'd think a little over a million but it doesn't help the White Sox's bargaining power when the manager was calling him in the team MVP.

Half the tag team Omar Minaya assembled to insulate the Mets from a repeat of last year's 29 blown saves will be sidelined for 10-12 weeks.

J.J. Putz will undergo surgery Tuesday to remove a bone spur and fragments from his right elbow, the Mets GM announced yesterday. Putz indicated the elbow "hurt like hell" while following through on pitches when he surrendered two runs in the seventh inning Thursday in Pittsburgh, signaling surgery was unavoidable. An examination yesterday at the Hospital for Special Surgery confirmed the need for the arthroscopic procedure.

Putz arrived from Seattle with the bone spur in his right elbow, but he didn't believe surgery was needed last year. The Mets were aware of the condition, but Minaya insisted it's misguided to second-guess the deal, since pitchers regularly perform with bone spurs.

Struggling on the mound and experiencing inflammation, Putz received an injection of anti-inflammatory medication on May 14. Hesitant to place stress on the elbow by following through on his split-finger fastball and two-seam fastball even after the injection, Putz never rediscovered the form that led to a combined 76 saves in 2006 and '07.

Minaya said the bone spur fragmented during the past two weeks, since the previous MRI performed on Putz showed it was intact. Putz allowed eight runs (seven earned) in his final three outings and was unable to continue after Thursday's discomfort in Pittsburgh.

Link

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
This really shouldn't be the precursor to any other move, he can't be counted on to give you anything in 2010.

Yeah, I'm less than excited about this move as I don't see anything that will solidify the pen until Putz is able to take the mound and get hitters out.