Hello, it's nice to meet you. My name is Devil's Advocate.

monomach

Andruw Jones 2009

(extrapolated to 600 plate appearances)

32 doubles, 31 home runs, 81 walks

.323 OBP, .459 SLG, .782 OPS

Jermaine Dye 2009

20 doubles, 28 home runs, 67 walks

.340 OBP, .453 SLG, .793 OPS

That's not much of a difference. Only .11 points of OPS.

I'm not saying it's the correct way to build a team (it's not!), but this may be why Kenny and Ozzie are both saying they're not going to go get a real DH.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
One thing I disagree with seemingly most the board... I for one believe Andruw was signed to have a serious role here.

I agree but I also think that KW isn't done. He has piled uncertainty on top of uncertainty and I think he has to add a true, reliable impact bat if he wants to really compete.

I may not agree with most everything you have said in your previous posts but I like this. Sure, there was the thread about Jones "wanting to start" and people saying "great, he wants to start, good for him". But I believe he's had a taste of the fame and fortune comes that with being successful, and now he sees that everyone believes he has fallen off for good. He has great talent, and while his effort was called into question in Atlanta, he was still being paid some strong cash. With that attention he didn't feel the need to go out there everyday like a true competitor. He got bumped to the (3rd?) tier, and now he knows he has to work for his spot. The talent hasn't gone away; his effort wasn't there and people saw it. I believe he knows he has to turn the corner to get back onto the scene, and he will do it to regain his role as a (near) top-tier player. He may not be a long-term solution but I predict he will bust out this year, be it as a position player or solely as a DH. He knows that he's lost respect and now he has his back against the wall (similarly to Pods getting released by the Rocks?)

Obviously with the signing of Pierre...Jones was no more than a backup plan and potential occasional DH...plus a big insurance policy for Q's next injury. He was never seriously being considered for a starting role.

Not sure how you figure that, since our lineup only has 8 hitters right now without him.

Edited by monomach

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
Andruw Jones 2009

32 doubles, 31 home runs, 81 walks

.323 OBP, .459 SLG, .782 OPS

Jermaine Dye 2009

20 doubles, 28 home runs, 67 walks

.340 OBP, .453 SLG, .793 OPS

That's not much of a difference. Only .11 points of OPS.

I'm not saying it's the correct way to build a team (it's not!), but this may be why Kenny and Ozzie are both saying they're not going to go get a real DH.

Compare what Dye was paid compaired to Jones..........No contest! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
One thing I disagree with seemingly most the board... I for one believe Andruw was signed to have a serious role here.

I have an exceptionally hard time envisioning the sox banking anything more than 250-350 at-bats for jones if the last three seasons of his were any indicator (level of play). There are only two ways jones will qualify for the batting title this season, which is 502 plate appearances. Injury after injury and we have to stick someone out there. or he is absolutely mashing the ball... to the point he cannot be denied playing time. Both are rather unlikely scenarios, though neither can be written off entirely.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Obviously with the signing of Pierre...Jones was no more than a backup plan and potential occasional DH...plus a big insurance policy for Q's next injury. He was never seriously being considered for a starting role.

Pierre was traded for, not signed. I have seen this mistake all over today.

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
Not sure how you figure that, since our lineup only has 8 hitters right now without him.

Did teams report to spring training and i was not notified, or what?

Edited by qwerty

Quentin replaces Dye in RF. That's an upgrade, *if* TCQ is healthy.

Andruw Jones replaces Dewayne Wise as a bench outfielder. That's an upgrade.

Kotsay replaces Brian Anderson as a bench outfielder. Upgrade.

Juan Pierre replaces Pods as a starting outfielder (RF). That should be a small upgrade.

Rios replaces the centerfielder-of-the-month that we've had since Rowand left. Upgrade.

Vizquel replaces Brent Lillibridge as backup infielder. Need I say more.

Peavy + Garcia replace Contreras + Colon in the rotation. Major upgrade.

Putz joins the pen, replacing someone. Upgrade, if Putz is healthy.

The only area that's gotten weaker is DH, with the rotating-DH likely producing less output than Thome.

I think Kenny is having a good offseason / late season of 2009.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)

Juan Pierre replaces Pods as a starting outfielder (RF). That should be a small upgrade.

Rios replaces the centerfielder-of-the-month that we've had since Rowand left. Upgrade.

The only area that's gotten weaker is DH, with the rotating-DH likely producing less output than Thome.

Nice work. It might be incremental, but this is a better team than we saw on October 1st, let alone even July 1st.

This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside... or maybe it was that chick in that pic throwing those tshirts?? :huh

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:49 AM)

EXACTLY! I dont see why everyone has been so down on this team....Harold Reynolds said last night that theyve put themselves in the position to win the division or something along those lines and with this staff and a hot player or 2 we could go deep into the playoffs if not win the whole thing....This thread is about andruw jones, i predict he will comeback player of the year with a .260 .320 30/85 and fit nicely in the lineup behind PK

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
EXACTLY! I dont see why everyone has been so down on this team....Harold Reynolds said last night that theyve put themselves in the position to win the division or something along those lines and with this staff and a hot player or 2 we could go deep into the playoffs if not win the whole thing....This thread is about andruw jones, i predict he will comeback player of the year with a .260 .320 30/85 and fit nicely in the lineup behind PK

Agreed. And if we are a bat short, KW will trade for somebody (Dunn) in July.

don't. stop. get it. get it.

Also. Though this is difficult to get excited about, Teahen is probably a modest upgrade in the infield over Getz/Nix playing everyday.

When comparing the steller careers of Pods and Pierre please remember that Pods was out of baseball last May.

They are not on equal footing whatsoever so I wish people would end this comparison.

Who cares if Pods was out of baseball last May? The rest of the way he played every day and all he did was get hits.

Once these guys take the field in April, there's a good chance you'll be wishing we had Pods over Pierre, who is no Rickey Henderson.

Hopefully slap hitter Pierre will have a good year. Ozzie got his speed guy. Let's see if it improves our offense.

Obviously Pods' bad baserunning has made him evil. That was maddening the times he f***ed up, but I doubt we'll be all happy about Juan all season long.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Who cares if Pods was out of baseball last May? The rest of the way he played every day and all he did was get hits.

Once these guys take the field in April, there's a good chance you'll be wishing we had Pods over Pierre, who is no Rickey Henderson.

Hopefully slap hitter Pierre will have a good year. Ozzie got his speed guy. Let's see if it improves our offense.

Obviously Pods' bad baserunning has made him evil. That was maddening the times he f***ed up, but I doubt we'll be all happy about Juan all season long.

His defense was was s*** too. Pierre may have a noodle arm(as does pods), but he is actually a competent outfielder.

Really, its a wash. Having one or the other doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things, and Im not going to be wishing we had Pods at any time next year, truthfully.