Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Flowers article on MLB.com, tangentially related to DH news.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

[With the designated hitter spot currently filled by a committee of Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay and potentially Jayson Nix, the right-handed hitting Flowers also could be used from time to time at DH. Guillen has never been a proponent of having his second catcher in the same lineup with his starter, but as Flowers quipped, if anything happens, one-time top catching prospect Paul Konerko could move behind the plate.

"I guess that really would be a backup plan," said Flowers of being used at DH, not Konerko being called upon as a third catcher. "But just look at the history on A.J. and how often does he get hurt. I can't remember a single time in his career where he really was hurt."]

if we are considering thome why dont we consider brigning back dye? i know he wants to play the field but it seems his options are limited at best. i know he had a bad second half, but i think if he was strictly dh his body wouldnt take the beating it did last year.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
if we are considering thome why dont we consider brigning back dye? i know he wants to play the field but it seems his options are limited at best. i know he had a bad second half, but i think if he was strictly dh his body wouldnt take the beating it did last year.

I love Dye, but I think this is the best time to end the Dye Era.

Besides, if we got Dye back to stick him at DH, I fear Ozzie does not possess the self-control to not put him in RF 3 times a week..

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)

Something about the relationship isn't quite right anymore. I don't know what happened, but they are seemingly done with him.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Dye has already said he does not want to be a full-time DH. He is willing to play 1B but not DH only. It was in the whitesox.com article after we exercised the buy-out.

What if the question winds up being "what would you rather do, DH or retire?"

Cust is out....

Athletics re-signed DH Jack Cust to a one-year, $2.5 million contract.

The A's non-tendered Cust last month in order to avoid paying him a substantial raise via salary arbitration and lucked into signing him back at a lower salary than he made in 2009. The 30-year-old hit .240/.356/.417 with 25 homers and 70 RBI last season while earning just $2.8 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
What if the question winds up being "what would you rather do, DH or retire?"

The question will not wind up coming to that. Not this season anyway. Someone will give him the opportunity to play the field at least roughly one half of his games played. They shouldn't, but someone will.

QUOTE (bad at best @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah. Sounds like Vlad will get 1yr/7mil. I'm glad KW passed.

http://www.hotstove.com/2010/01/report-ran...deal/#more-3680

It's a 1 year deal, at this point with the dh being the only hole left on the club, it doesn't matter if we have to overpay. Obviously that's all contingent on Jerry willingly throwing out some extra cash, but I wouldn't be surprised if he would if he/KW thought this was the missing piece to a championship.