Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
How are you doing it? Cuz i'd love to try something out in my car for my trips to and from work (45 mins each way). I can already speak French and have actually heard Italian is easy to pick up if you can speak that already.

It's broken down into levels (the ones you buy) which are broken down into units (Basics, Greetings, Work and School, Shopping for example is the one on mine right now) which are broken down into lessons. The core lesson is about 30 minutes, where it teaches you new stuff, and each lesson between those is 10 or 15 minutes. No English, it's just all pictures, sometimes it'll show you a new vocabulary word directly, sometimes you just deduce it because it'll say something like "the man is wearing a hat" and you already know "hombre" and "somebrero" but not "llevando." Only thing it doesn't tell you is how to conjugate verbs and whatnot, and there is nobody there to explain it to you in English which is kind of a pain in the ass but it does get you up to a conversational level pretty fast.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
itunes has a ton of podcasts on learning other languages.

this. I myself need to find something to teach me new vocabulary words. That's the hard part and the tedious part.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Somehow, Rosetta Stone works. Granted, I had 2 years of Spanish that is scattered throughout my memory in high school, and I don't know how it'd work for a non-Romance language, but I've only been using it for about 4-5 days and it's starting to stick.

That's good to hear. I've only heard good things about Rosetta Stone. I've been planning on picking up Spanish again. I used to read/write it pretty well, but haven't taken a Spanish class in 4 years.

Had to take my dog to the vet to have one of his canine teeth that was infected pulled. It has been causing him to sneeze violently and get snot everywhere. Anybody else have this happen to their dog? He's on soft food and no chew toys for 2 months.

Anyone have an electric fence for their dogs?

I have mine trained on the beeps and he has been very good so figured it was time to activate the shock. Of course, my dog crosses the line and didn't seem effected by the shock. Just ran over the fence and back over. I know it works because I felt the shock before. He must be stronger than everything possible.

My stepdaughter is mad about the fact that she just cleaned her room, which previously looked like a combination of Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill, and this afternoon I spent 2 hours getting various s*** out of places they don't belong, like stuffed in the coat closet, behind the couch, left in the dryer for 2 days, or whatever. 80% of the stuff in I moved belonged to her so I just threw it in a big pile in the middle of her room and on her bed.

I said hey, looks like you hadn't made as much progress as you thought because you pawned your work off on someone else and nobody felt like doing it this time. If you don't like it, maybe you can use the cellphone your mother pays for that you don't do a thing to earn and call somebody who gives a f***.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
My stepdaughter is mad about the fact that she just cleaned her room, which previously looked like a combination of Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill, and this afternoon I spent 2 hours getting various s*** out of places they don't belong, like stuffed in the coat closet, behind the couch, left in the dryer for 2 days, or whatever. 80% of the stuff in I moved belonged to her so I just threw it in a big pile in the middle of her room and on her bed.

I said hey, looks like you hadn't made as much progress as you thought because you pawned your work off on someone else and nobody felt like doing it this time. If you don't like it, maybe you can use the cellphone your mother pays for that you don't do a thing to earn and call somebody who gives a f***.

You shoudl of gotten the role, not William Shatner.

My wife's family does a "Haunted Hayride" every other year near Iowa City/Ceder Rapids. Tonight was the hayride, I had a BLAST. There's a narrator who sits on the back of a truck and reads from a script and there is a "spotter" who runs a spotlight to point out items along the way. There are various "scenes" setup along the route, including a haunted bar, a shipwreck, an alien autopsy scene, and a bunch of others. We had over 300 people come. The date and location is only spread by word of mouth, so I was very impressed. I was a spotlight guy tonight.

It's cheesy and stupid, but it's good family fun... and it's free.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I have spent about 10 hours in the last three days in dwight, il. I blew a tire and one of the lugnuts got stripped when I was trying to change it because I had a piece of s*** key for the special lugnuts on my car. It took three days for this guy to get the tire off my car. Finally got out of that town. Talk about frustrating. When it blew I was pissed that I was going to add half an hour on my travel time.

Ok so I have this friend who recently joined a MLM that's tried to pitch it to me several times, with an unequivocal "no" each time that gets more emphatic. She invited me to a webinar and I don't bother saying no anymore, I just start lying, I told her I had something to do for work and she says "Well happy form filling. Don't want to upset massa by taking a 30 min break to see somethng that could change you and your family's life forever."

Sigh... that's just plain being brainwashed and she's condescending when she talks to me. It's to the point where I can't bring up any topic that has anything to do with work, money, or bills because she'll change the subject to that again. There used to be a person underneath all that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Ok so I have this friend who recently joined a MLM that's tried to pitch it to me several times, with an unequivocal "no" each time that gets more emphatic. She invited me to a webinar and I don't bother saying no anymore, I just start lying, I told her I had something to do for work and she says "Well happy form filling. Don't want to upset massa by taking a 30 min break to see somethng that could change you and your family's life forever."

Sigh... that's just plain being brainwashed and she's condescending when she talks to me. It's to the point where I can't bring up any topic that has anything to do with work, money, or bills because she'll change the subject to that again. There used to be a person underneath all that.

Bring up Jim Jones and see how that goes.