2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retherford, Hudson, Santos, Harrell, Dolsi to take part in White Sox 'mini camp'

Somewhat interesting idea here. The minor league players working with the Major League staff in the middle of the offseason. Notice that all 5 named are guys with some sort of a chance at making the big league roster. Doesn't hurt to get a head start on evaluating these guys.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Well, if Flowers starts out in Charlotte and rakes, then you don't want a veteran catcher who's not mostly expendable.

If that circumstance occurs, then you can always trade your backup catcher for Lance Broadway as long as you haven't spent too much money on him.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Tyler Flowers is a few days from turning 24

Basically a top prospect should see the majors on a regular basis as a 24 or 25 year old..or no? I guess a rule of thumb should take a backseat to proper preparation. But we have the need and we apparently have the tough financial straits.

If Castro takes 500k, then Flowers can be semi-fulltime DH.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
If Castro takes 500k, then Flowers can be semi-fulltime DH.

We don't need a semi-fulltime DH from the RH side, we already have one of those. We especially don't need to spend a year of arb-eligibility on that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
We don't need a semi-fulltime DH from the RH side, we already have one of those. We especially don't need to spend a year of arb-eligibility on that.

If Flowers is up he has to play a decent amount. He should get at-bats one way or another at least a little more than Castro did when he was here. Otherwise, he's better off playing daily at AAA.

From the team perspective, we do need a hitting RH catcher. And we could use DH as a way of getting Tyler more at-bats here and there.

It's a weird mix of things where you have to get the best thing for the team and the best thing for TF's development --and get both those things working at once.

I think it can happen with him up at MLB level. It's just that I think we'd have to sacrifice some Andruw Jones at-bats throughout the year to do it. I'm willing.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
According to Baseball America the Sox have re-signed Josh Kroeger. Hopefully, he'll get some play come spring before heading to AAA.

I'm sure he'll get an invite, and compete with De Aza for a bench spot that may or may not exist, before going to AAA. He's basically the backup-backup OF.