2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
One day I’ll scoop you. Of course that’ll be to a story that I found somewhere on the intent that’s somebody’s already covered. But I’ll hold it over your head just the same. :notworthy

I'm always checking Baseball America's minor league transactions, I even have the specific page bookmarked. But, it's no contest. I'm more interested in finding out info than scooping anyone.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
The Braves DFA'ed Brandon Jones. He's only 26, maybe worth a shot as a NRI or for AAA?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
He was a big prospect as recently as last year. I'd love to have him.

I would too, but I think he's going to have about 30 minor league offers on the market and he's going to take the best offer for him, and I don't think that's the Sox.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I think Ever Magallanes might be poised for great things in this organization.

He's very calm. I doubt he lacks passion, but he definitely doesn't lose his cool.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
He's very calm. I doubt he lacks passion, but he definitely doesn't lose his cool.

I can imagine a scenario where has a spot on the big league staff when Cora finally gets a shot somewhere. Ever's doing a tremendous job for this organization.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
DJ Carrasco signed a minor league deal with the Pirates.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought I would post it.

If it has been posted, disregard.

Wow. He has the best year of his career last year in the AL and proves he's a more than capable long man/mop up man and the best he can find for himself is a minor league deal with the Pirates?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
Wow. He has the best year of his career last year in the AL and proves he's a more than capable long man/mop up man and the best he can find for himself is a minor league deal with the Pirates?

it's a split contract and he can make up to $1.2 mill

It's a bit surprising, but he didn't have good peripherals and it's questionable whether he can continue to repeat that success.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
it's a split contract and he can make up to $1.2 mill

It's a bit surprising, but he didn't have good peripherals and it's questionable whether he can continue to repeat that success.

Yet, he had two good years in a row. Some guys are good, even though it appears they shouldn't be. I am beginning to think Carrasco is one of those.

Sox bring in two lefties from the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League.

"Matt Jernstad was acquired from the Joliet JackHammers during the 2008 season. In his short time with the ThunderBolts in 2008, he pitched 7 strong innings and had an ERA of 1.29. The left hander was a member of the 2008 Frontier League Champion Windy City ThunderBolts. Jernstad, who is a resident of Oswego, IL, produced stellar numbers in 2009. He had a record of 7-4 and an ERA of 2.31 in 78 innings pitched. He struck out 97 batters and only walked 23. Jernstad showed great control of his pitches which made him stand out to the White Sox. When asked about the opportunity, Jernstad said, "Being signed by the White Sox is a great accomplishment. I had such an awesome time in Windy City, the players were all great and the coaches really helped me out."

Zach Piccola was another southpaw signed by the White Sox. Piccola, who hails from Bedford, NH, played two years of affiliated baseball in the Detroit Tigers organization in 2006 and 2007. In 2009, Piccola was acquired late in the year by the ThunderBolts. He pitched in 8 games and faced a total of 40 batters and only allowed 11 to reach base. Piccola had an ERA 3.72 and struck out 13 batters. Both of these left-handed pitchers look to make an impact in the White Sox organization in 2010."

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3951535

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Were those draft-and-follow guys?

Nah, sounds like Jernstad went to the Joliet Jackhammers right after graduating from NIU, and Piccola's from the Tigers organization.

http://www.wcthunderbolts.com/team/roster/...ml?player_id=59

http://www.wcthunderbolts.com/team/roster/...l?player_id=118

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
I like how this organization is actively recruiting lefties for the minor league system. Hopefully, gone are the days where Wes Whistler was the only crutch to fall back upon.

I still think we pull a Rick Ankiel with Whisler.

Not much chance he's going to be a major league pitcher.

Edited by scenario