2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan Smith has been doing a series of articles on Fangraphs, looking for RH sinkerballers who have been undervalued in the minors due to depending on poor defenses. One of our guys made his list.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/s...lers-final-part

Stephen Sauer, 23, Chicago White Sox

Level BB.9 K/9 HR/9 GB% BABIP

Low-A 1.2 7.8 0.3 56.3 .363

This guy managed a 3.36 ERA in Kannapolis because he was so good at limiting home runs and walks, but look at his BABIP! His hit rate seems to have scared off prospect evaluators, as he’s not listed as one of Baseball America’s top 30 White Sox prospects. But his sinker has always been good (2.64 GO/AO at ASU) and his slider is average enough. With a good change up, Sauer can be just as good as Jon Garland ever was.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Bryan Smith has been doing a series of articles on Fangraphs, looking for RH sinkerballers who have been undervalued in the minors due to depending on poor defenses. One of our guys made his list.

He may not be on BA's Top 30, but heis been on mine, and SoxTalk/FutureSox's, for a while now.

A's prospect Grant Desme retiring from baseball to join the priesthood?

I'm sure that has probably happened before, but I can't remember anybody getting as far as he has and then escaping to the cloth.

"Desme is leaving baseball at a time when his fortunes seemed to be rising fast. He batted .288 with 31 home runs and 89 RBIs in 131 games last year. Then he starred in the Arizona Fall League, where some of the game’s top prospects compete each year."

Well.... he'll make a helluva church league player.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)

I'm sure that has probably happened before, but I can't remember anybody getting as far as he has and then escaping to the cloth.

This kind of odd-retirement stuff seems to only happen to the A's. What with Jeremy Brown packing it in the minute it seemed he had the backup catching spot in the bag. And Desme looked like he was really putting things together, but i can't begrudge the guy for his faith.

I talked to someone last night that told me the current plan is for Trayce Thompson to spend next season in full-season A ball. That could change if Trayce struggles in minor league camp though and shows that he would be better fitted with extensive coaching (Fall League).

He is incredibly raw, but the person I talked to last night was absolutely raving about his tools and long-term potential.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
I talked to someone last night that told me the current plan is for Trayce Thompson to spend next season in full-season A ball. That could change if Trayce struggles in minor league camp though and shows that he would be better fitted with extensive coaching (Fall League).

He is incredibly raw, but the person I talked to last night was absolutely raving about his tools and long-term potential.

Ryan Sweeney was rushed to AA in my opinion back in 2005 and he looked overmatched all season. He did hustle though. I hope they don't do that with Thompson.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)

"Desme is leaving baseball at a time when his fortunes seemed to be rising fast. He batted .288 with 31 home runs and 89 RBIs in 131 games last year. Then he starred in the Arizona Fall League, where some of the game’s top prospects compete each year."

We'll.... he'll make a helluva church league player.

Maybe I'll get to meet him one day if he comes to the TV network I work at.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)

Yeah, Sauer is a guy I really like and I'm not alone. As thin as our system is, I don't see why he isn't a top 25 (at least) prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)

The Sox have a history of having guys like Thompson go to A ball to start the year and then going back to extended ST for a bit before rookie ball starts up. Chris Carter did it after he struggled. Francisco Hernandez was another. I think they'd rather see the talented young guys succeed or fail in the higher level instead of babying them through extended ST in April and May.

Keith Law (who most people here hate) voted us as having the worst minor league system in the league....im very surprised he put the cubs at #7...

We have an extraordinarily little amount of depth....especially in terms of arms...but i think hudson, flowers, danks and mitchell is a decent crop toward the top

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Keith Law (who most people here hate) voted us as having the worst minor league system in the league....im very surprised he put the cubs at #7...

We have an extraordinarily little amount of depth....especially in terms of arms...but i think hudson, flowers, danks and mitchell is a decent crop toward the top

With those 4 to go along with Viciedo/Morel/Thompson I definitely dont think we belong ranked last, yes there isnt much depth outside of the top10 or so but I think the Sox should be closer to 20th.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
With those 4 to go along with Viciedo/Morel/Thompson I definitely dont think we belong ranked last, yes there isnt much depth outside of the top10 or so but I think the Sox should be closer to 20th.

Law has always been rabidly anti-Sox, not sure why.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)

Well.... he'll make a helluva church league player.

haha, my brother and I were talking about this earlier today. You know those over-the-top church league types will be jockeying to get the Bishop to put him in their parish.

I could definitely see this guy being the badass priest that everybody (particularly the young folks) love. Former pro baseball player? Yeah, I would think he was cool as s*** if I were in his parish.

The Brady Clark who didn't play last year much and will be 37 in April. And, according to his Wikipedia page and MLB.com, is technically retired. I guess it's a comeback.

Edited by JPN366

Brady was a pretty solid player for a few years. He still has a career .277 average and a career .358 OBP in 2318 PA, which is a lot more than can be said about some of the players who have come through here, and for 2 straight seasons he put up batting averages and OBPs of .280/.385 and .306/.372. I doubt Brady was ever anyone's #1 choice or anything, but he was still solid and worth discussing as a realistic, presumably cost-effective option to acquire through trade.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
This kind of odd-retirement stuff seems to only happen to the A's. What with Jeremy Brown packing it in the minute it seemed he had the backup catching spot in the bag. And Desme looked like he was really putting things together, but i can't begrudge the guy for his faith.

I can. Dude is a god damn idiot. You can still be holier than thou and make that paper.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
I can. Dude is a god damn idiot. You can still be holier than thou and make that paper.

A desire to be a priest negates any desire to fund a ministry. But, I understand what you mean. He could have played a little longer before going into the priesthood.