2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

Looks like Jared Mitchell will be playing in Birmingham this year.

Article

"OF Jared Mitchell: This talented leadoff hitter will work alongside Pierre as a non-roster invite during Spring Training, in preparation for Mitchell to assume this top-of-the-order role in a couple of years. The 21-year-old top pick for the White Sox in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft will start 2010 for Double-A Birmingham, and could be the fastest player in the White Sox system."

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)

Article

"OF Jared Mitchell: This talented leadoff hitter will work alongside Pierre as a non-roster invite during Spring Training, in preparation for Mitchell to assume this top-of-the-order role in a couple of years. The 21-year-old top pick for the White Sox in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft will start 2010 for Double-A Birmingham, and could be the fastest player in the White Sox system."

Wow, I have to say I'm surprised. I was pretty sure Danks would be in AAA, but I thought Mitchell would be in A+.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Wow, I have to say I'm surprised. I was pretty sure Danks would be in AAA, but I thought Mitchell would be in A+.

Me too. I didn't think that either Mitchell or Thompson would be on any kind of a fast track. I guess they must think Mitchell is closer than the rest of us.

I'm contemplating doing some kind of crude depth chart for the White Sox minor league players. It's all speculation on my part, but I think I have an idea where players will be assigned to start 2010. I think Viciedo, Danks, Shelby III, Mitchell and Marrero will all start in B'ham. If Viciedo is playing first base mostly this year, he'd be better suited to spend at least half the year in AA, that way any struggles at the plate that he could have in AAA won't negatively effect his positional transistion.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I'm contemplating doing some kind of crude depth chart for the White Sox minor league players. It's all speculation on my part, but I think I have an idea where players will be assigned to start 2010. I think Viciedo, Danks, Shelby III, Mitchell and Marrero will all start in B'ham. If Viciedo is playing first base mostly this year, he'd be better suited to spend at least half the year in AA, that way any struggles at the plate that he could have in AAA won't negatively effect his positional transistion.

Heads used to do this every spring, I'd talk to him, he's got a template.

Article

I am stunned if this turns out to be true. He is definitely moving the Beckham route, though Beckham was more fundamentally sound which is why I'm puzzled with this. Mitchell still has some holes he needs to work out. He will be exposed against lefties pretty badly (though he still has excellent discipline), and if he takes over center, which he is still raw in as well, is Danks a LF? RF? promoted? Perhaps the B-Ham hitting coach is a better teacher for Mitchell than the W-S hitting coach is for Jared. I gotta say this though... I hope Jared never turns out to be like like Juan Pierre. If he can get a bunt game... fine, but he doesn't need to do that all the time. Anything else from Pierre... I'd rather have Jared watch tape of Crawford/Sizemore/Span.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
I am stunned if this turns out to be true. He is definitely moving the Beckham route, though Beckham was more fundamentally sound which is why I'm puzzled with this. Mitchell still has some holes he needs to work out. He will be exposed against lefties pretty badly (though he still has excellent discipline), and if he takes over center, which he is still raw in as well, is Danks a LF? RF? promoted? Perhaps the B-Ham hitting coach is a better teacher for Mitchell than the W-S hitting coach is for Jared. I gotta say this though... I hope Jared never turns out to be like like Juan Pierre. If he can get a bunt game... fine, but he doesn't need to do that all the time. Anything else from Pierre... I'd rather have Jared watch tape of Crawford/Sizemore/Span.

I think Danks ends up in AAA.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Agreed, i also think Mitchell starting at AA has a lot more to do with how much this organization values the coaching of Ever Magallanes then anything else.

Ever's the quiet assassin. Or... :ph34r:

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
WTF would ever posses someone to rank 2029 minor league baseball players???

I dunno, but putting Carlos Torres so high is pretty dumb.

The top Sox ones:

Hudson 76

Mitchell 93

Flowers 98

Viciedo 115

Danks 121

Morel 218

Torres 286

Phegley 324

Thompson 346

...and it goes on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
It's not the greatest list ever (They have a lot of guys who are gone still listed as Sox, trades don't seem to have registered with them), but come on, you know you want to look at the top 2000 prospects for 2010

Charlie Haeger is listed for us :D

Also, Mitchell starting at AA is aggressive, but lets hope it works out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 06:11 AM)
It's not the greatest list ever (They have a lot of guys who are gone still listed as Sox, trades don't seem to have registered with them), but come on, you know you want to look at the top 2000 prospects for 2010

Pretty good list but I think that they should reconsider 1417. Rafael Dolis, P, CHC and, 1418. Maurice Gartrell, OF, CHW. IMO they should at least swap these two guys. Gartrell doesn't have the ceiling but has a lower floor, but good list overall.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Pretty good list but I think that they should reconsider 1417. Rafael Dolis, P, CHC and, 1418. Maurice Gartrell, OF, CHW. IMO they should at least swap these two guys. Gartrell doesn't have the ceiling but has a lower floor, but good list overall.

This is the best use of sarcasm on the internet I've seen in a long time. You should get an award for this, seriously.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Has KW ever pushed someone up hard to make him look like better trade bait?

I can think of the opposite done with pitchers (Gio, Carter), held back so their stats stayed up.

Aaron Poreda

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)

You are greatness.

Article

To which I respond to some of you.....

EAT

MY

SHORTS!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
To which I respond to some of you.....

EAT

MY

SHORTS!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that quote right now. To say a player who is as raw as Mitchell (and who only has 139 career MiLB PA) is going to jump A+ ball and head straight to AA well before the first ST game has even been played is a bit premature. And if the Sox do that IMO it will be a sign that they're shopping him, because really, why else would you want to rush a player like this?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that quote right now. To say a player who is as raw as Mitchell (and who only has 139 career MiLB PA) is going to jump A+ ball and head straight to AA well before the first ST game has even been played is a bit premature. And if the Sox do that IMO it will be a sign that they're shopping him, because really, why else would you want to rush a player like this?

Hey! Don't you take this away from me!