2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I love minor league baseball. I got my tickets for the game I'll be attending at the Cell on the day tickets went on sale, and I wound up in row 20 down the LF line. I knew I wanted to catch the Barons when they came through town this year, so I got tickets yesterday, and I'm in the front row behind the home team dugout.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
Ah, I love minor league baseball. I got my tickets for the game I'll be attending at the Cell on the day tickets went on sale, and I wound up in row 20 down the LF line. I knew I wanted to catch the Barons when they came through town this year, so I got tickets yesterday, and I'm in the front row behind the home team dugout.

Didn't realize you were in Smokies country. You can probably get good seats to the entire series up there. My season tickets for the Barons down here are two rows behind the home team first base dugout. Two seats plus a premium "A" lot parking pass only costs me $950 for all 70 home games. Not to mention all the perks that come along with it, free food at season ticket holder parties, batting practice and ball shagging on the field for all season ticket holders a few times a year. If you ever want to roll down here and go to a game or two at Regions, let me know.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Didn't realize you were in Smokies country. You can probably get good seats to the entire series up there. My season tickets for the Barons down here are two rows behind the home team first base dugout. Two seats plus a premium "A" lot parking pass only costs me $950 for all 70 home games. Not to mention all the perks that come along with it, free food at season ticket holder parties, batting practice and ball shagging on the field for all season ticket holders a few times a year. If you ever want to roll down here and go to a game or two at Regions, let me know.

Just moved here this year. Considered more than one game, not trying to push the wife too hard yet, already have her agreement for 1 minor league game and 1 major league game this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Just moved here this year. Considered more than one game, not trying to push the wife too hard yet, already have her agreement for 1 minor league game and 1 major league game this year.

1!? 1 minor league game is never enough. On the other hand, the Smokies are a Cubs affiliate, so I understand passing. The Barons go up to play the Smokies April 24th through 28th & August 26th through 29th.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
1!? 1 minor league game is never enough. On the other hand, the Smokies are a Cubs affiliate, so I understand passing.

And it's not like Sandberg's here either, so there's no one I care about unless the Barons visit. Maybe get to scope out that 19 year old Cubs SS. Probably end up catching them when they come back in August as well, but we'll worry about that in af ew months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 07:40 PM)
And it's not like Sandberg's here either, so there's no one I care about unless the Barons visit. Maybe get to scope out that 19 year old Cubs SS. Probably end up catching them when they come back in August as well, but we'll worry about that in af ew months.

You may get Hak-Ju Lee coming through there at some point also, I'd be really interested to see him. Supposedly he unbelievably good defensively at short.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
One of the Red Sox top prospects, 19 year old Ryan Westmoreland (5th round pick out of high school in 2008) is going to undergo brain surgery to try to correct a potentially life-threatening condition.

A "cavernous malformation" in his brain is what I read. That is awful. Rather tear a ligament than deal with that. He is the Red Sox top prospect.

I don't know if it was posted elsewhere but Elijah Dukes being released by the Nats was a little surprise.

I would have thought they could have gotten a bag of balls for him.

Edit: Never mind, I see it in the MLB catch all thread

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
One of the Royals' top prospects Danny Duffy has quit baseball.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7922

That's a blow for their system, he was one of their best pitching prospects. Baseball America had him as the Royals' number 8 prospect, although I thought that was a little low.

WTF? First Grant Desme gives up baseball to become a priest, now Duffy? Was there a specific reason he quit? I can't understand how these young dudes just randomly throw away the chance to make a s***load of money (even if they don't stick in the majors) playing a kid's game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
WTF? First Grant Desme gives up baseball to become a priest, now Duffy? Was there a specific reason he quit? I can't understand how these young dudes just randomly throw away the chance to make a s***load of money (even if they don't stick in the majors) playing a kid's game.

From Rob Neyers' blog:

1. The notion that there's no connection between Duffy's elbow injury and his decision to quit baseball strikes me as less than insightful. Some people, when they cross paths with adversity, just sort of give up. I'm not saying that's what happened here. But this does seem awfully coincidental.

2. Losing (for now, anyway) a pitcher like Duffy isn't the end of the world. Duffy's a 21-year-old who doesn't throw particularly hard and hasn't pitched against Double-A hitters yet. John Sickels rates him as a Grade B prospect, and 21-year-old Grade B pitchers don't typically win more than a couple of dozen games in the majors.

3. Still, this is a blow. The Royals need young pitchers. Michael Montgomery, their best pitching prospect, also hasn't pitched above Class A yet. Aaron Crow, their second-best best pitching prospect, is 23 and hasn't pitched professionally yet. Essentially, the Royals are two seasons away from even beginning to hope that one of their pitching prospects wins a dozen games for the big club.