History's most beautiful women

MexSoxFan#1

FlaSoxxJim suggested this thread idea and I like it, let's put some of those hotties we grew up digging from when we were youngsters, mind you I'm not even 40 yet and I realize we have a lot of younger guys barely in their 20s but when I grew up in the 80s, I watched some of those old black and white movies and I have fond memories of some of those classic babes...

Audrey Hepburn

Sophia Loren

Some solid choices there, and yeah I think this can be fun. Kid Gleason has mentioned one of the Gish sisters as one of history's hotties (and I concur), and Big Ed has rattled off a few as well. And heck, if Tex pulls out his little black book, we may find out he dated some of the great silent film starlets back in the day.

In an attempt to leave some selections for others, I'll just stick with a few absolute favorites from a few different Hollywood eras:

Ingrid Bergman has got to be my all-time favorite. All the seeming cliches about cameras loving certain women totally apply here, and I don't think anyone's beauty has been captured more successfully than Ingrid in Casablanca.

bergman1.jpg

bergman_dressl.jpg

• Since Kim Novak was already mentioned in the run-up to ths thread, I'll add my favorite Hitchcock actress, Grace Kelly.

grace-kelly.jpg

grace_kelly_high_society_1956.jpg

• Going way back to Zigfeld Follies and the silent film era, little known tragic starlet Olive Thomas is a gem.

MidnightFrolic.jpg

OliveThomas3.5.jpg

• Finally, though I greatly dislike her personal politics, there's no denying the sex kitten appeal of Brigitte Bardot.

brigitte-bardot-20071203-345547.jpg

bridget-bardot-bikini-thumb.jpg

OK, somebody else's turn.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
You have fine taste in women.

:drink

Those are the two most beautiful women in American film history. Grace Kelly in Rear Window and Dial M for Murder...and To Catch a Thief is simply stunning.

And yeah, Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca steals scenes just by being there.

Edited by G&T

#1 Bridgette Bardot

After that, many others including Ann Margaret, Kim Novak, Grace Slick, Judy Collins, Natalie Wood, Grace Kelley, Julie Newmar and of course Marilyn Monroe come to mind.

Some actresses from waaay back: Theda Bara, Jean Harlow, Greta Garbo, Fay Wray, Hedy Lammar, Lana Turner, Veronica Lake, Lauren Bacall and Donna Reed. Joan Crawford was pretty damn good looking when she was young.

I'm too computer-challenged to post pictures or I would.

Oh and Betty Page.....heck yeah!

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
I find this weird. I can't find a woman attractive if I know she's elderly or dead now.

Likewise, I find that opinion sort of weird. That circa 1976 Farrah Fawcett should not appeal to the senses because she is dead, or to not appreciate how stunning was a yound Elizabeth Taylor because she's now 77 years old seems odd.

Hollywood starlets are unattainable fantasies or objects of admiration. That said, for me it doesn't matter when a film was made so long as it captured and preserved the beauty of the performers.

farrah-fawcett-photo.jpg

Elizabeth_Taylor_402355.jpeg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Interesting topic, I was discussing this with friends the other day. It seems like women get hotter and hotter. IMO, today's women in general, famous and also every day women, are hotter than at any point in history.... and it's not just because of cosmetic surgery.

Well that's based on cultural ideals of beauty. In every era, the women are hotter than before because things change. However, I think some of these women in this thread are every bit as hot as women today.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Interesting topic, I was discussing this with friends the other day. It seems like women get hotter and hotter. IMO, today's women in general, famous and also every day women, are hotter than at any point in history.... and it's not just because of cosmetic surgery.

I think part of the reason is that the culture of today is so beauty centric. We glorify those who are "hot" and mock the "nots". However, 50 or 100 years ago, women went expected to be hot, they were expected to be good house keepers who raised the children, cooked the meals, and cleaned the house.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Well that's based on cultural ideals of beauty.

I think it's also the "look" of the era too. Many of the women posted above might not be deemed attractive because the pictures and styles are so old. But if they were alive today and those pictures were retaken in today's styles and clothing, we would probably be drooling over them all over again.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I think part of the reason is that the culture of today is so beauty centric. We glorify those who are "hot" and mock the "nots". However, 50 or 100 years ago, women went expected to be hot, they were expected to be good house keepers who raised the children, cooked the meals, and cleaned the house.

That argument might be acceptable in conservative cultures but focusing on beauty is nothing new. Ancient Egyptians wore makeup and wigs.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I think it's also the "look" of the era too. Many of the women posted above might not be deemed attractive because the pictures and styles are so old. But if they were alive today and those pictures were retaken in today's styles and clothing, we would probably be drooling over them all over again.

No question.