History's most beautiful women

MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
That argument might be acceptable in conservative cultures but focusing on beauty is nothing new. Ancient Egyptians wore makeup and wigs.

I certainly didnt mean to say that beauty has never been important. I just dont think there was as MUCH of a pressure to look good.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
I certainly didnt mean to say that beauty has never been important. I just dont think there was as MUCH of a pressure to look good.

Might be true. Mass media certainly makes people want to look better.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)

First I would like to point out the irony of this statement being made by someone with a hot chick in his avatar.

Second I disagree. Women now have many more opportunities open to them (professional, education, personally) so we actually have LESS of a reason to get married and settle down--so less need to snare a dude by looking good. As a single woman I can happily and comfortably support myself.

Also, come on! Corsets! Girdles! Hot irons for hair! Putting icky eggs on your face as make-up! That is at least as much pressure.

And I think that the ladies in this thread are actually much more beautiful than most of our current starlets. Maybe not hot (which I tend to associate with a very narrow bland generic look)--but definitely more beautiful.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Another factor to consider is the technological advances, in film, lighting and photography.

And Photoshop. These days, "hot women" in magazines are barely even human beings

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Another factor to consider is the technological advances, in film, lighting and photography.

I think black and white film and intelligent set lighting had a lot to do with how wonderfully well beauty was captured back in the day.

donna-reed.jpg

^^^ Yet another beautiful Jimmy Stewart leading lady, Donna Reed.

You sure don't capture the highlights of the hair or the flawlessness of the skin in Technicolor like you do with rich, warm, black and white film.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Was that Rosemary DeCamp or "That Girl" I could swear that was Marlo Thomas.

I believe it was her (I think she was the daughter though she could have been the mom), but my movie memory is shot. Here is a pic of her just to be on the safe side..

20839_1023663152.jpg

Edited by SoxAce