Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
I've never understood the fascination of calling plastic material flimsy or cheap. Yeah, sure, there are cheap and flimsy plastic phones out there. But when you start to get into the higher tiers of smartphone with plastic casings, they're using high quality and very light polycarbonate plastic. Go look at a phone like the HTC One X, the matte finish with its polycarbonate backing looks awesome and it feels nice in the hand.

Everyone has their preferences, but some exaggerate the lack of build quality in phones with plastic casings.

The phone i had before the iphone 5 was the Galaxy S2 and it felt "plasticky" and "flimsy" to me, especially after owning an iphone 4 before that one.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
The phone i had before the iphone 5 was the Galaxy S2 and it felt "plasticky" and "flimsy" to me, especially after owning an iphone 4 before that one.

I wonder what people thought of when the iPhone was made of plastic prior to the 4.

The "feel" of a phone really comes down to what you're tactilely accustomed to. My One X feels sturdy and slick to me. My GF's iPhone5 feels tiny and almost like a toy. As we discussed earlier, apparently my desires in a phone are unique. I want a phone to be a tablet. If I ever bought an actual tablet, I want it to be a small computer. I don't want a tablet that runs a phone OS. I want a small computer that runs an actual computer OS, with computer specs.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
The "feel" of a phone really comes down to what you're tactilely accustomed to. My One X feels sturdy and slick to me. My GF's iPhone5 feels tiny and almost like a toy. As we discussed earlier, apparently my desires in a phone are unique. I want a phone to be a tablet. If I ever bought an actual tablet, I want it to be a small computer. I don't want a tablet that runs a phone OS. I want a small computer that runs an actual computer OS, with computer specs.

You're not alone: http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/16/analyst-5...ncoming-up-136/

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
You think Y2HH will ever tell me he was wrong? What are the chances?

Wrong about what?

I never said phones weren't trending bigger, that much is obvious, I simply said they will still make sub 5" sizes, which they will. There is a huge audience that want's a larger screen, but doesn't want a "phablet" screen.

For every sasquach like BigSqwert, there is a munchkin from the lollipop guild like myself. We can't has no 5"+ screens in our hands.

My opinions of screen size have changed over time...but more so because they're making the screens bigger without making the entire device too much bigger...those sort of advancements come with the technological changes/time...and I have no problem adapting my opinions when it happens. The large models that bothered me were the early models, think Pre Samsung S3 here...they had 4.5" screens, but they were nearly the size of modern Note 2's.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
Wrong about what?

I never said phones weren't trending bigger, that much is obvious, I simply said they will still make sub 5" sizes, which they will. There is a huge audience that want's a larger screen, but doesn't want a "phablet" screen.

For every sasquach like BigSqwert, there is a munchkin from the lollipop guild like myself. We can't has no 5"+ screens in our hands.

My opinions of screen size have changed over time...but more so because they're making the screens bigger without making the entire device too much bigger...those sort of advancements come with the technological changes/time...and I have no problem adapting my opinions when it happens. The large models that bothered me were the early models, think Pre Samsung S3 here...they had 4.5" screens, but they were nearly the size of modern Note 2's.

That's an exaggeration. http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galaxy-s2-l...g-galaxy-note-2

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
It is but you also cherry picked one example of many. The S2 wasn't nearly as ugly big as early Motorola's, nor was I strictly talking size but thickness.

What Motorola phones are you talking about? There were very few 4.5 inch Motorola phones. The only one that comes off the top of my head is the Atrix HD and that wasn't a big phone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
What Motorola phones are you talking about? There were very few 4.5 inch Motorola phones. The only one that comes off the top of my head is the Atrix HD and that wasn't a big phone.

Whatever sizes they were, they were bulky and heavy. Ok, maybe they weren't 4.5 but 4.6, maybe 4.3, or 4.2, who f***ing cares down to the exact micrometer. They were huge, ugly pieces of s***. That's the point I'm trying to make...they're not ugly, fat or heavy anymore just because they have larger screens. Nor do they feel as cheap as they used too.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
DirecTV Genie Review

I thought this could be applicable given conversations around these here parts recently.

To add a bit to that, they showed off a bit more at CES 2013. You will soon be able to use some Samsung TVs, PlayStation 3's, and probably other RVU capable devices to access the HR44 DVR. That means if you have one of those devices, you won't need an extra box hooked up to it to access anything on the DVR.

DirecTV Genie DVR RVU Server

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
To add a bit to that, they showed off a bit more at CES 2013. You will soon be able to use some Samsung TVs, PlayStation 3's, and probably other RVU capable devices to access the HR44 DVR. That means if you have one of those devices, you won't need an extra box hooked up to it to access anything on the DVR.

DirecTV Genie DVR RVU Server

Hm. The ps3 ability would save me $6/mo in the basement over the Genie Mini Client. I am intrigued.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
Hm. The ps3 ability would save me $6/mo in the basement over the Genie Mini Client. I am intrigued.

I would still think that they would try to get their money by something like the number of devices connected to that DVR and not necessarily base it on whether you are using the Genie Mini Client as one of those or not. But, who knows? :huh

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
I would still think that they would try to get their money by something like the number of devices connected to that DVR and not necessarily base it on whether you are using the Genie Mini Client as one of those or not. But, who knows? :huh

You can bet they'll find a way to nickle and dime it to death.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
So right before the iphone 6 hits in June.

You mean iPhone 5S? :lol:

RIM is also holding some kind of live press event the same day, although I don't think it will be for BB10 (should be out before then).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
I heard 6, are they going to S this one too?

That was a half-hearted joke. I honestly don't know.

But it will be interesting to see what they do. If they release an iPhone 6, then it shows a sense of urgency instead of complacency, which is good.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
That was a half-hearted joke. I honestly don't know.

But it will be interesting to see what they do. If they release an iPhone 6, then it shows a sense of urgency instead of complacency, which is good.

They have dialed back production of the 5 by 80% I heard on the news. So it looks like its full speed ahead.