Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

This is going to sound pretty nerdy, but I scored a cheap under $200 Mac Mini and I am going to hook it up to a TV in my house and use the apple wireless mouse and keyboard I already have essentially making it a huge IMAC synced across to my other one.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
I've been happy with U-Verse internet. 24/mbs speed for $42/month after fees. I've been on a sweet retention deal for a year and actually just re-upped for another year at this price yesterday. And it's a legit 24, even at night.

Yea, I am calling them sometime this week to "bluff" and say I'm switching to comcast. Hoping to get U300 + 18mb for less than I pay now for U200 + 3mb.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
The new FB app sucks as the most recent feed is hidden. "oh switch to paper" yeah that doesnt do most recent either.

I am in "most recent" 100% of the time. I dont want Facebook to tell me what is important to me.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
I am in "most recent" 100% of the time. I dont want Facebook to tell me what is important to me.

FB is going to start pushing ads and linked pages higher and higher in your feed. Its bulls***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
The new FB app sucks as the most recent feed is hidden. "oh switch to paper" yeah that doesnt do most recent either.

Yeah, it's a terrible app. Then again, Facebook is terrible.

Anyone here an Apple Macbook user? About to buy one in the near future and mainly interested in how much money to push into the processor. Don't run games or play many movies/videos/stuff like that, just lots of internet windows and typically Office applications open at the same time, along with occasionally science-related programs that process data in the background.

Options I see are 2.4 GHz, 2.9 GHz, and 2.9 GHz with a turbo boost with a gradually increasing price on each. Without advice I'd probably just plop self down in the middle but anyone have any tips or good links discussing the topic?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Anyone here an Apple Macbook user? About to buy one in the near future and mainly interested in how much money to push into the processor. Don't run games or play many movies/videos/stuff like that, just lots of internet windows and typically Office applications open at the same time, along with occasionally science-related programs that process data in the background.

Options I see are 2.4 GHz, 2.9 GHz, and 2.9 GHz with a turbo boost with a gradually increasing price on each. Without advice I'd probably just plop self down in the middle but anyone have any tips or good links discussing the topic?

Since you aren't going to be running much that really pushes the processor, I wouldn't worry about sinking a bunch of money into one. At least, that depends on these science related programs you plan on running, as those can actually be very CPU intensive, unless programmed to take advantage of the GPU to assist. Games mostly rely on graphics processors more than CPU's these days.

...I wouldn't worry too much about the raw processing power, memory means more.

Edited by Y2HH

One more.

Have an iphone4 that was on ATT. About to become unlocked when employer doesn't want it back. I'd love to be able to use it for a couple months and then buy a 6 this fall. Need for both minutes and overall data is low. Is there a way to convert this to a monthly minimal plan and what would I have to do for that? I know Verizon can't be swapped into this hardware but can tmobile?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
One more.

Have an iphone4 that was on ATT. About to become unlocked when employer doesn't want it back. I'd love to be able to use it for a couple months and then buy a 6 this fall. Need for both minutes and overall data is low. Is there a way to convert this to a monthly minimal plan and what would I have to do for that? I know Verizon can't be swapped into this hardware but can tmobile?

Yes, t-mobile can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Any clue how much that'll run me? Activation and monthly fee?

I believe they have contract less plans now, but with all the changes they've made over the past few months I really have no idea on cost. You can probably check on their website they may have some info on such plans. Keep in mind that phone is worth about 175$ in trade in value, too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
I believe they have contract less plans now, but with all the changes they've made over the past few months I really have no idea on cost. You can probably check on their website they may have some info on such plans. Keep in mind that phone is worth about 175$ in trade in value, too.

Oh you have a 4 not a 4s, probably 90$ trade in these days.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 29, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Oh you have a 4 not a 4s, probably 90$ trade in these days.

Yeah, the goal is to make this one last a few extra months then do a legit 2 year contract family plan in Oct/Nov. just need like 4 months to get there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
Yeah, the goal is to make this one last a few extra months then do a legit 2 year contract family plan in Oct/Nov. just need like 4 months to get there.

Still not a bad trade in, anything is better than having an old device laying around nobody will use.

I'd check out t-mobile for what you want to do, it can get you through a few months adequately for sure.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 30, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
So my 7th grader is saving all his money for XBOX ONE

Is it really that much better than the 360 w/ KINECT and if so, why?

Graphics wise, yeah. It doesn't really offer anything else ATM.

For all you apple gurus out there.

Yesterday the lock button on my iPhone 5 stopped working. Not a problem as I have apple care and was going to take it in to get repaired or replaced. Later on I happened to drop my phone and shattered the screen. So it was a rough day for my phone. My question is can I get the phone replaced for free due to the button or since the screen is now shattered am I going to be required to pay the 50 dollars to get the replacement unit?

Edited by kev211