Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
What online file storage set-up do people recommend?

I'm looking for the simple ability to access documents from home, work, coffee shop, etc. These would be mostly Microsoft Office documents with some larger data sets as well. I don't plan on using it for photos, music, or video. I enjoy Drop Box's ease of use, but I do not really want to have to buy extra storage (my current storage needs are about 5-6 GB). I also could use Google Drive or Microsoft One Drive. I am leaning towards One Drive due to the relatively high free storage size, the fact that I am using Windows 7 and 8.1 on my computers, the apparently good file and folder syncing (as several reviews have pointed out), and the fact that my work might be moving to Office 365.

I realize I'm probably way behind on this, so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You know how pro Google I am, and even I use Google Drive. I used Microsoft's for a while, but ... nobody else in this dimension uses it. Yes, I realize they tout like 5000000 million users, but I've never met a single person that uses it, so it's obvious those people live in a separate dimension. As for space requirements, don't worry, the space war will end up with everyone getting more free space from all of these services.

I'm looking for the simple ability to access documents from home, work, coffee shop, etc. These would be mostly Microsoft Office documents with some larger data sets as well. I don't plan on using it for photos, music, or video. I enjoy Drop Box's ease of use, but I do not really want to have to buy extra storage (my current storage needs are about 5-6 GB). I also could use Google Drive or Microsoft One Drive. I am leaning towards One Drive due to the relatively high free storage size, the fact that I am using Windows 7 and 8.1 on my computers, the apparently good file and folder syncing (as several reviews have pointed out), and the fact that my work might be moving to Office 365.

I realize I'm probably way behind on this, so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I love OneDrive, but I run 8.1 on one of my machines (awesome integration) and use Office a lot. It's perfect for that. Recent updates have made it a lot better. The 1TB I get w/ Office 365 ain't bad, either.

Dropbox is nice, but low starting storage and it's outrageously expensive in the current cloud market.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
You know how pro Google I am, and even I use Google Drive. I used Microsoft's for a while, but ... nobody else in this dimension uses it. Yes, I realize they tout like 5000000 million users, but I've never met a single person that uses it, so it's obvious those people live in a separate dimension. As for space requirements, don't worry, the space war will end up with everyone getting more free space from all of these services.

I quit using Google Drive because of their horrible desktop sync software. Might not be that way on Mac, I'm not sure. I did a fresh install of Windows and had all ~50GB of my Drive files still on the HDD and found out that when reinstalling Google Drive, I had to either delete everything from the cloud and reupload or delete all the files on my HDD and redownload. This is after it refuses to install until I rename the current Google Drive folder, which I can't do without uninstalling Drive, since I can't change the name of the Google Drive folder when Google Drive is installed on the computer. Stupid. I found complaints on their customer forums dating back several years complaining about that exact thing.

There's plenty of merit to Google's cloud and browser focus, but I need a desktop service and theirs sucks. It isn't that hard to get right, but they have to care.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
I love OneDrive, but I run 8.1 on one of my machines (awesome integration) and use Office a lot. It's perfect for that. Recent updates have made it a lot better. The 1TB I get w/ Office 365 ain't bad, either.

Dropbox is nice, but low starting storage and it's outrageously expensive in the current cloud market.

I quit using Google Drive because of their horrible desktop sync software. Might not be that way on Mac, I'm not sure. I did a fresh install of Windows and had all ~50GB of my Drive files still on the HDD and found out that when reinstalling Google Drive, I had to either delete everything from the cloud and reupload or delete all the files on my HDD and redownload. This is after it refuses to install until I rename the current Google Drive folder, which I can't do without uninstalling Drive, since I can't change the name of the Google Drive folder when Google Drive is installed on the computer. Stupid. I found complaints on their customer forums dating back several years complaining about that exact thing.

There's plenty of merit to Google's cloud and browser focus, but I need a desktop service and theirs sucks. It isn't that hard to get right, but they have to care.

I haven't had any issue with Google Drive on my mac, and they just released a brand new desktop client.

It's only shortcoming is that sharing images are not done in-line, so I couldn't link a picture here on this forum from Google Drive like I can from Dropbox. You can share an image from Drive, but not in-line, such as displaying it ON this forum rather than posting a link to the picture. At least, I don't know of a way to do this on Drive, otherwise I wouldn't even need dropbox anymore.

I also have little use for Office these days, Google Docs/Sheets and Apple's iWork offering do practically everything Office does, only leaner (IMO, Office is bloated fatware at this point). I've rarely seen anything on an Office Doc that Gdocs or iWork cannot handle these days, and both are free, while Office still thinks this is 1998 and they can charge for it.

Edited by Y2HH

Google Drive is a no-brainer.

My personal account is with DropBox, my work account uses Google Drive, I had signed up for an Evernote account years ago, HP included some Cloud storage offer with my then new computer. So now I have crap all over the place.

I use Dropbox the most and it has become my default.

I rarely store anything on my computer anymore it all goes to Dropbox.

The house I am buying is not wired for a security system which we will be installing as one of the first projects. I've been researching wireless systems and thinking about integrating with other home technology both current and what seems to be coming over the next 3-5 years.

Thoughts? Experiences?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
I haven't had any issue with Google Drive on my mac, and they just released a brand new desktop client.

It's only shortcoming is that sharing images are not done in-line, so I couldn't link a picture here on this forum from Google Drive like I can from Dropbox. You can share an image from Drive, but not in-line, such as displaying it ON this forum rather than posting a link to the picture. At least, I don't know of a way to do this on Drive, otherwise I wouldn't even need dropbox anymore.

I also have little use for Office these days, Google Docs/Sheets and Apple's iWork offering do practically everything Office does, only leaner (IMO, Office is bloated fatware at this point). I've rarely seen anything on an Office Doc that Gdocs or iWork cannot handle these days, and both are free, while Office still thinks this is 1998 and they can charge for it.

I'm in a position where my compatibility needs are such that even if I didn't like Office, I'd have to use it. I'm really pleased with Office 2013, though, so I'm okay with it. '11 for Mac is s***e though, hopefully their upcoming update is better as I think about switching to OS X.

I also use the browser-based version of Word a lot when I'm using Linux Mint

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
My personal account is with DropBox, my work account uses Google Drive, I had signed up for an Evernote account years ago, HP included some Cloud storage offer with my then new computer. So now I have crap all over the place.

I use Dropbox the most and it has become my default.

I rarely store anything on my computer anymore it all goes to Dropbox.

I use Drive for Work but also supplement with dropbox because I think its much easier to use.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
The house I am buying is not wired for a security system which we will be installing as one of the first projects. I've been researching wireless systems and thinking about integrating with other home technology both current and what seems to be coming over the next 3-5 years.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Yes! I use Frontpoint and couldnt be happier.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Thanks Rock, I'll check it out.

Its self-install and works over cellular lines so it doesnt require a land line.

I have flood monitor, a bunch of doors and motion sensor and the touch screen panel. I can set my alarm with my phone through an app or you can even use GPS to arm automatically when you leave. Its pretty awesome.

Even more iPhone 6 glass stress testing -- they finally got it to break after running it over with a car. IF this is the actual panel they used, this is more impressive than I originally thought.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
Is it worth it?

I like it a lot, despite big brother now owning and mining my data from it, but do know that Honeywell has a really good competing product out for it now.

But all in all I'm happy with it. Easy to use, collects usage data for me so I know how much I used my heat or ac on any given day (and why, such as an extremely hot day), and remote usage, too. I often shut off my ac or heat when I'm on vacation and I can kick it on via my phone before I get home so I walk into a comfortable house.

I'd recommend it or the new Honeywell that does much of the same.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
I like it a lot, despite big brother now owning and mining my data from it, but do know that Honeywell has a really good competing product out for it now.

But all in all I'm happy with it. Easy to use, collects usage data for me so I know how much I used my heat or ac on any given day (and why, such as an extremely hot day), and remote usage, too. I often shut off my ac or heat when I'm on vacation and I can kick it on via my phone before I get home so I walk into a comfortable house.

I'd recommend it or the new Honeywell that does much of the same.

Does it do the day to day stuff well? We turn off our AC when we leave and turn it back on when we get home.