Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
Doesn't your TV have a jack?

Probably but I don't have headphones with a long enough cord to make that work. Looking wireless. I'll go to Best Buy after work.

Never have I had a phone fail on me. My S4 bricked today. Didn't drop it or anything, was checking my email and screen went green. Turned it off and screen is black. Total goner. Barely 6 months old. Called Samsung so sending it in. I'm sure they'll find some semblance of something that happened to the phone which voided my warranty. Sprint did say they'd get me a replacement for $75, however, I am cheap and want free. Will go back to my old iphone for a week. Not impressed though.

I do have an almost 1 year old that plays with the phone from time to time and its been dropped a million times (on carpet) by her but has a tough case and not a scratch on the phone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Probably but I don't have headphones with a long enough cord to make that work. Looking wireless. I'll go to Best Buy after work.

There are a bunch of wireless options but iirc they plug into the TV. Some you can link up to 4 headphones into them

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Jesus, that guy is way more patient than I would have been. Glad he taped it though and spread the word. Comcast is f***ing terrible.

See, I thought he should have played with him a little more...I thought he was a bit impatient.

I would have had much more fun with the guy :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Never have I had a phone fail on me. My S4 bricked today. Didn't drop it or anything, was checking my email and screen went green. Turned it off and screen is black. Total goner. Barely 6 months old. Called Samsung so sending it in. I'm sure they'll find some semblance of something that happened to the phone which voided my warranty. Sprint did say they'd get me a replacement for $75, however, I am cheap and want free. Will go back to my old iphone for a week. Not impressed though.

This is why you buy your phones at Best Buy.

Also, I'm done with Androids. iPhone 6 will be mine.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
This is why you buy your phones at Best Buy.

Also, I'm done with Androids. iPhone 6 will be mine.

Wait...I did buy mine at Best Buy. What can I do? Will they replace it and do the warranty stuff for me (if it has been less then 1 yr)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Wait...I did buy mine at Best Buy. What can I do? Will they replace it and do the warranty stuff for me (if it has been less then 1 yr)?

Depends on whether your insurance is charged to your carrier or Best Buy. If it's the latter, then you're money.

So what's on your home network? I'm moving into a new home and thinking about how I want to design the network from the start. We have less than 2,000 sq feet with two stories, no basement.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
So what's on your home network? I'm moving into a new home and thinking about how I want to design the network from the start. We have less than 2,000 sq feet with two stories, no basement.

WiFi.

I've had a WiFi only house for about 5 years now, and see no point in wired anymore.

Getting AT&T U-verse at my new place in a couple weeks. Landlord doesn't allow satellite so it was down to this and TimeWarner. Getting 470 channels, inc. HBO/SHO/Cinemax/Starz, all regional sports networks, NFL Redzone/MLB Strike Zone/sports miscellany, two DVRs, 45 Mbps downstream broadband for $130/mo. for 12 months plus $200 in Visa gift cards. The same package from TWC would have been ~$200/mo.

Free installation too, which could turn into an adventure given what I hear about U-verse installs. They told me to prep for what is supposedly on average a 4 hour installation

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
Getting AT&T U-verse at my new place in a couple weeks. Landlord doesn't allow satellite so it was down to this and TimeWarner. Getting 470 channels, inc. HBO/SHO/Cinemax/Starz, all regional sports networks, NFL Redzone/MLB Strike Zone/sports miscellany, two DVRs, 45 Mbps downstream broadband for $130/mo. for 12 months plus $200 in Visa gift cards. The same package from TWC would have been ~$200/mo.

Free installation too, which could turn into an adventure given what I hear about U-verse installs. They told me to prep for what is supposedly on average a 4 hour installation

As long as you don't have a ton of Tv's it's not bad

I know Comcast has crappy customer service and all, but I have to say ... this is a thing of beauty.

...and this is over WiFi...

From Chicago to San Jose, CA.

3650070278.png

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
I know Comcast has crappy customer service and all, but I have to say ... this is a thing of beauty.

...and this is over WiFi...

From Chicago to San Jose, CA.

3650070278.png

There's no ISP that promises over 50 Mbps where I'm moving to. And the standard rate for that ~50 Mbps is around $80-$100/mo. Our broadband in the USA is s***ty. A South Korean would laugh at your 113 Mbps

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
There's no ISP that promises over 50 Mbps where I'm moving to. And the standard rate for that ~50 Mbps is around $80-$100/mo. Our broadband in the USA is s***ty. A South Korean would laugh at your 113 Mbps

The national average for South Korea last year was ~20 Mbps.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/south-kor...ster-than-yours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_South_Korea

Is it faster than most of the US? Sure...but does the average South Korean have 100+mbit right now...no they do not. They may in the future, but who cares, so will I.

And last but not least...

Let's keep things in perspective, please.

The combined territories of North Korea and South Korea are about the same size as the state of Minnesota.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
The national average for South Korea last year was ~20 Mbps.

So, uh...no, they wouldn't. I'm sure some have crazy fast speeds but a lot don't.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/south-kor...ster-than-yours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_South_Korea

Is it faster than most of the US, yes...but does the average South Korean have 100+mbit...no they do not. They may in the future, but who cares, so will I.

The average American doesn't get 100 mbit either. The article you linked says South Korea has the fastest internet in the world at an average of 21 mbps.

Their infrastructure was built a lot later than ours, so it's a bit more modern, this is especially true of their cellular networks.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
The average American doesn't get 100 mbit either. The article you linked says South Korea has the fastest internet in the world at 21 mbps.

Their infrastructure was built a lot later than ours, so it's a bit more modern, this is especially true of their cellular networks.

They're also as big as one of our states.

If the US was as big as Minnesota, we'd all have 10000000000000 mbit right now.

EDIT: Scratch that...both North Korea and South Korea COMBINED are as big as one of our states.

2nd Edit: I'm not an average American, I'm above average. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
They're also as big as one of our states.

If the US was as big as Minnesota, we'd all have 10000000000000 mbit right now.

EDIT: Scratch that...both North Korea and South Korea COMBINED are as big as one of our states.

No we wouldn't, because the cable companies would have too much pleasure watching us pay more for s***ty internet.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
No we wouldn't, because the cable companies would have too much pleasure watching us pay more for s***ty internet.

Well, that's true.

But on topic, I'm seriously sick of being compared with tiny little nations with perfect sizes for complete infrastructure build outs that don't have to deal with the sheer size disadvantages of the US, or places with massive unusable land masses where nobody lives so they don't have to bother.

Unfortunately for us, people live in EVERY state here, and it's a reality we have to deal with that Sweden, South Korea, etc., do not...

It'd be easy to layer a single state in fiber, but we have 50 -- including some that aren't all that close.