Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Aren't the days of caring how long a phone lasts over?

You can buy Mophie juice packs (or others) that are basically like adding a case to your phone and they add a 2100mah battery in addition to whatever's in your phone already.

For people that insist on using a case on their phone, they're nearly no brainers.

I still won't use a case on my phones, but I have chargers everywhere. I've never once run out of juice.

Depends how much you talk on your phone or travel. Go into an airport and look at the business folks huddled around an outlet. Talking on the phone drains the s*** out of it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
I take my watch off every night, but I never charge it and I never wind it, nor do I want too. And when I'm on the road, I don't want to have to take ANOTHER charger with me for another device that can't last a week or two.

I'm also not a smartwatch person...I wear a real watch, one that tells time with or without electricity.

If I am wearing a watch its probably for fashion over function anyway.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
Moto 360 will have wireless charging and will last as long as 2.5 days.

I just want to throw my money at it.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

That thing is beautiful and watching the demos at I/O finally made me figure out how tremendously useful a smartwatch can be. This is the only one that looks good enough to wear IMO

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
TAKE MY MONEY!!!

That thing is beautiful and watching the demos at I/O finally made me figure out how tremendously useful a smartwatch can be. This is the only one that looks good enough to wear IMO

I would have an Android Wear watch already if it wasn't for the 360. Hopefully it comes out this month or next month.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
If I am wearing a watch its probably for fashion over function anyway.

Mine is definitely for fashion, but I also use it to -- get this -- tell the time.

I hate watches on me, but I get one for business because it's a nice way to check time in a way that isn't rude "phone". And it seems less rude than a phone because it can't be misconstrued for checking email/notifications, which...seems to be defeated with a smartwatch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
who ever used their ipod for videos though, that always seemed silly to me

Funny story, back in 2005/2006, I had a Creative Zen Vison: M. I was the only one, it seemed, with an MP3 player that could play videos. So I would bring a splitter with me, and I would gather a group of 2-4 people to huddle around a 2 inch screen during woodshop class to watch either movies or funny internet videos. It's hilarious to think back on that that we could watch that tiny screen for 90 minutes with 1 earbud in to boot. But people used to fight over who could borrow it which day of the week.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:17 PM)
A timeline of the way we use phones:

screenshot.1-590x900.png

A timeline of the way Google imagines you'll use your smartwatch:

screenshot.2-590x900.png

I pondered the "why smartwatches" question in this blog post, but it is to a large extent summarized by the above two graphics

I couldn't understand those graphics any less.

Green = time spent not paying attention to smart device whatsoever

Red = time accessing device, ie. removing from pocket, tapping unlock pin code

Blue = time spent interacting with device

So the argument is that you'll interact with your smartwatch more often, but for much less time per interaction and far less overall time interacting. It's too passive to become a time sink.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
Green = time spent not paying attention to smart device whatsoever

Red = time accessing device, ie. removing from pocket, tapping unlock pin code

Blue = time spent interacting with device

So the argument is that you'll interact with your smartwatch more often, but for much less time per interaction and far less overall time interacting. It's too passive to become a time sink.

So Google imagines you will barely use your smartwatch at all? While I agree, why would they want to advertise that? "Hey, buy this expensive product, look, you'll barely even use it!" Haha, no?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:08 AM)
So Google imagines you will barely use your smartwatch at all? While I agree, why would they want to advertise that? "Hey, buy this expensive product, look, you'll barely even use it!" Haha, no?

No, the idea is that you will use it more frequently than you use your smartphone - but your smartwatch will be your launching point into real-life tasks moreso than a gateway into digital tasks. In my blog post, I compare to a highly sophisticated beeper. Traffic alert for my appointment? Better leave early. Weather getting dicey? Might need to change my plans. Think of how Google Now is often out of your way when you need it, but always just has the date and weather when you remember to look at it. Now it's staring you in the face.

It also seems to be a perfect answer to the ever-growing smartphone screen. If you don't have to wield the actual phone nearly as often, you won't be as inconvenienced by its size.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:54 AM)
By video baord, do you mean the actual screen, or the circuit board with capacitors?

That I am not sure of.. My mom said her tv went out that they bought not even 2 years ago and said they think it is the video board. She wasn't specific and I doubt she knows that.. I was going to buy it if the repair wasn't going to be outrageous

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
That I am not sure of.. My mom said her tv went out that they bought not even 2 years ago and said they think it is the video board. She wasn't specific and I doubt she knows that.. I was going to buy it if the repair wasn't going to be outrageous

I ask because I own a 32" Plasma Vizio that had an overheating problem. The TV eventually stopped clicking on. My dad and I took it apart and replaced some of the bulging capacitors, soldering the new ones in, and my TV has been working like new since then. I think that was maybe 18 months ago. The capacitors cost like 8 cents each. We bought a bunch of extras just in case, but it was like $14 for all the capacitors after shipping. Then the soldering gun, and the entire cost to fix was like $30. Took maybe an hour to fix.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:32 AM)
No, the idea is that you will use it more frequently than you use your smartphone - but your smartwatch will be your launching point into real-life tasks moreso than a gateway into digital tasks. In my blog post, I compare to a highly sophisticated beeper. Traffic alert for my appointment? Better leave early. Weather getting dicey? Might need to change my plans. Think of how Google Now is often out of your way when you need it, but always just has the date and weather when you remember to look at it. Now it's staring you in the face.

It also seems to be a perfect answer to the ever-growing smartphone screen. If you don't have to wield the actual phone nearly as often, you won't be as inconvenienced by its size.

But you're telling people they should fork over $300-400 bucks to basically save themselves about 6 inches of movement. Your hand/wrist are already down near your pocket. The only "convenience" a watch like this provides is not having to take a half a second to reach into your pocket and grab your phone. You'll still probably have to scroll with your other hand on the watch. You'll still have to hit a button and interact with it. I use Google Now and nothing about it is perfect (often giving you information you don't need or want). Hopefully that gets better over time, but it might not.

I dunno, the whole smart watch thing is, to me, another gadget they're trying to market as the next big thing when in reality it probably won't take off because it's just not necessary.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
But you're telling people they should fork over $300-400 bucks to basically save themselves about 6 inches of movement. Your hand/wrist are already down near your pocket. The only "convenience" a watch like this provides is not having to take a half a second to reach into your pocket and grab your phone. You'll still probably have to scroll with your other hand on the watch. You'll still have to hit a button and interact with it. I use Google Now and nothing about it is perfect (often giving you information you don't need or want). Hopefully that gets better over time, but it might not.

I dunno, the whole smart watch thing is, to me, another gadget they're trying to market as the next big thing when in reality it probably won't take off because it's just not necessary.

It's $200 (at least for the watches that are available now).

A lot of people also thought tablets wouldn't be necessary and look what happened.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
It's $200 (at least for the watches that are available now).

A lot of people also thought tablets wouldn't be necessary and look what happened.

It also took 20 years and multiple advancements in the entertainment industry for them to sell.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
It also took 20 years and multiple advancements in the entertainment industry for them to sell.

That's not the point. The reason why tablets never took off is because they sucked for 15 years. The technology wasn't quite there yet.

You're basically saying smart-watches won't take off because the technology isn't there. It clearly is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
That's not the point. The reason why tablets never took off is because they sucked for 15 years. The technology wasn't quite there yet.

You're basically saying smart-watches won't take off because the technology isn't there. It clearly is.

The tech was basically around for the last 10-15 years with tablets. They were a little bulkier and not as good with the touch screen, but it was more than doable. The issue was there wasn't a need for it. We didn't need tablets because they couldn't (and still don't really) replace a real laptop or desktop. Over time books and movies and tv shows and web browsing came about, thus a need was created. We still don't need anything that a smart watch provides. It also doesn't really enhance or replace the experience of the smart phone.

Until the smartwatch provides a vastly different experience than the smartphone, it's not going to sell. Maybe the athletic angle is the way to go with it, but I don't see that being a huge selling point either, especially since you can by something like the fitbit for way less money.

I'm not trying to be a downer. I love me some electronic gadgets. But this one, I just don't get.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
The tech was basically around for the last 10-15 years with tablets. They were a little bulkier and not as good with the touch screen, but it was more than doable. The issue was there wasn't a need for it. We didn't need tablets because they couldn't (and still don't really) replace a real laptop or desktop. Over time books and movies and tv shows and web browsing came about, thus a need was created. We still don't need anything that a smart watch provides. It also doesn't really enhance or replace the experience of the smart phone.

Until the smartwatch provides a vastly different experience than the smartphone, it's not going to sell. Maybe the athletic angle is the way to go with it, but I don't see that being a huge selling point either, especially since you can by something like the fitbit for way less money.

I'm not trying to be a downer. I love me some electronic gadgets. But this one, I just don't get.

Well by that logic, you also technically didn't need tablets either. You could have watched your TV shows on your phone. You could have read your books on your phone. You could have browsed the web on your phone. It just so happened that bigger screens fit those things better.

You can also read your notifications on your phone, but that requires you to take your phone out of your pocket, unlock your phone, and use your hands. It just so happens that a smart-watch gets rid of all of those needs. Thus, smart-watches are better for viewing your notifications along with an array of other hands-free activities that make it more convenient than looking at your phone.

And I'd much rather spend $200 on a watch that does more than read how many steps I took than spend $100 on a Fitbit.

Wearables are going to be a thing, I pretty much guarantee that. And the smart-watch is going to be the first wave of said wearables. It hasn't really taken off yet because the first watches to market (Pebble, Samsung Gear) have been very limited and somewhat terrible. Android Wear is the first real OS developed specifically for the smart-watch and it's a great foundation for developers to build upon.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:26 AM)
Well by that logic, you also technically didn't need tablets either. You could have watched your TV shows on your phone. You could have read your books on your phone. You could have browsed the web on your phone. It just so happened that bigger screens fit those things better.

You can also read your notifications on your phone, but that requires you to take your phone out of your pocket, unlock your phone, and use your hands. It just so happens that a smart-watch gets rid of all of those needs. Thus, smart-watches are better for viewing your notifications along with an array of other hands-free activities that make it more convenient than looking at your phone.

And I'd much rather spend $200 on a watch that does more than read how many steps I took than spend $100 on a Fitbit.

Wearables are going to be a thing, I pretty much guarantee that. And the smart-watch is going to be the first wave of said wearables. It hasn't really taken off yet because the first watches to market (Pebble, Samsung Gear) have been very limited and somewhat terrible. Android Wear is the first real OS developed specifically for the smart-watch and it's a great foundation for developers to build upon.

What good is reading notifications if you can't reply? I don't guarantee they will be a thing, it's an outlier use case to me for only a subset of the population.