Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
Apple's default keyboard kind of sucks, I hate the autocorrect, and they somehow make SwiftKey suck on purpose.

I find Apples default keyboard pretty good, if it had swipe I wouldn't bother with anything else.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I would love to try a different keyboard on my iPhone, but the implementation of third party keyboards on iOS leaves much to be desired.

You leave a lot to be desired, Mr. Pool.

And you look like an avocado had sex with an older, more disgusting avocado.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps. I'm looking for a little advice on TV's.

Right now my eight year old 42" Samsung is starting to take a dump and I'm in the market for a newer tube. I'm looking to upgrade in size to something around 55-60" and spend around $1k. I've looked at a bunch of Samsungs, Sonys, 4Ks, SUHD, LED, etc., etc., etc.

Do any of you have suggestions as to what would be a good living room TV for sports/movies and doing a fair amount of gaming on PS4? I've read a few negative reviews about refresh rate/delays in games on 4K TV's so I want to make sure I'm not getting something that is going to just frustrate me when I get it.

Any thoughts/feedback/experiences would be appreciated!

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)

Right now my eight year old 42" Samsung is starting to take a dump and I'm in the market for a newer tube. I'm looking to upgrade in size to something around 55-60" and spend around $1k. I've looked at a bunch of Samsungs, Sonys, 4Ks, SUHD, LED, etc., etc., etc.

Do any of you have suggestions as to what would be a good living room TV for sports/movies and doing a fair amount of gaming on PS4? I've read a few negative reviews about refresh rate/delays in games on 4K TV's so I want to make sure I'm not getting something that is going to just frustrate me when I get it.

The new 2016 Samsung Quantum Dot 4KTVs are really f***ing sharp. Costco has a 55" for a little more than your price range though, $1479 I think on sale right now. The QD ones are an 8 series. Costco has a 55" 6 series for $949 or something on sale right now.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
The new Vizio line is nice because it has Chromecast built in to it, effectively making it the best smart functionality of any TV out there.

Rtings.com is a really great resource for TV reviews.

God damn, this P-Series Vizio is awesome, and it comes with a tablet? DOOOPE.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/...:gGrpXpOD7zLGaA

A big fan of Samsungs.

Taking the plunge on a 4K tv is a personal choice. I personally don't believe 4K will be widely available for a while yet, so it depends just how important that it is to you.

I'm a big fan on Vizio's for the price. The sound sucks, usually, but that can be remedied with something like a sound bar.

I feel like there's a certain point where you pay for differences you don't really notice, but it's also true that you get what you pay for. I typically say to stick with brands you've heard of, and look at floor models at different places. I realize they jack with the settings, but if a Samsung consistently looks better from Best Buy to Walmart to Target etc. then it'll probably look better in your living room.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)

All Samsung all the time, I would never buy anything else. The panel that is in the TV is very important and i do not believe that many of the other brands are as consistent as Samsung.

4K isnt all that widely available and probably wont be for awhile so focus on something with a high refresh rate (natural) and check out the ins and out of reviews on the net so you can see if that particular model is having panel inconsistencies. Around 1K for 60in isnt going to be a high end model so maybe look for a year old model that higher end than something new.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 06:15 AM)
All Samsung all the time, I would never buy anything else. The panel that is in the TV is very important and i do not believe that many of the other brands are as consistent as Samsung.

4K isnt all that widely available and probably wont be for awhile so focus on something with a high refresh rate (natural) and check out the ins and out of reviews on the net so you can see if that particular model is having panel inconsistencies. Around 1K for 60in isnt going to be a high end model so maybe look for a year old model that higher end than something new.

Hmm, I don't have an issue with Samsung, but there are certainly some other brands out there that make some outstanding televisions.

I have a Sharp Aquos amd a Panasonic Viera (?) in addition to a Samsung and maybe I am not particularly astute, but they all reviewed very well and have all performed very well for me over the years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)

Eh, I wouldn't always stick with them. I've had 3 Samsungs and have had major issues with two of them. One was a plasma in which there was a blue hue leaking onto different parts of the screen, it would never be consistent and started 3 months after I bought the thing. Another one had a large buzzing sound which was related to the power inside the tv. For TVs, I don't think there is one brand I'll always go to. Only time that was the case is when Panasonic was selling their Viera plasma tvs and Pioneer was selling their stuff.

Many a times, I'll shop at Microcenter for a new tv. Usually it's the previous year's models, but they're all brand new, come with warranty and are way cheaper. Last tv I got there was a LG 60 inch plasma for $600 flat. By far the best tv I've ever had. Also, I've bought tvs from Target while they're an open item, usually getting a few hundred off the price.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Eh, I wouldn't always stick with them. I've had 3 Samsungs and have had major issues with two of them. One was a plasma in which there was a blue hue leaking onto different parts of the screen, it would never be consistent and started 3 months after I bought the thing. Another one had a large buzzing sound which was related to the power inside the tv. For TVs, I don't think there is one brand I'll always go to. Only time that was the case is when Panasonic was selling their Viera plasma tvs and Pioneer was selling their stuff.

Many a times, I'll shop at Microcenter for a new tv. Usually it's the previous year's models, but they're all brand new, come with warranty and are way cheaper. Last tv I got there was a LG 60 inch plasma for $600 flat. By far the best tv I've ever had. Also, I've bought tvs from Target while they're an open item, usually getting a few hundred off the price.

panels are certainly important, its necessary to see where they come from.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Why didn't you just replace the capacitor?

The board had a large hole melted into it. I brought it into the electronics shop at my work for those guys to take a look at it, they're the ones who told me I was lucky it didn't catch fire.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
The board had a large hole melted into it. I brought it into the electronics shop at my work for those guys to take a look at it, they're the ones who told me I was lucky it didn't catch fire.

Oh yikes. When my Vizio plasma had trouble staying on, my dad and I took it apart and replaced about 4 or 5 bulging capacitors. Cost about $20, almost all of which was the soldering gun, and the TV has been working perfectly about 4 or 5 years later.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Oh yikes. When my Vizio plasma had trouble staying on, my dad and I took it apart and replaced about 4 or 5 bulging capacitors. Cost about $20, almost all of which was the soldering gun, and the TV has been working perfectly about 4 or 5 years later.

Don't know how old your TV was, but there was a huge "Capacitor plague" that affected electronics manufactured during 99-03. Bad capacitors would have burned out by now, but manufacturing defects can still cause problems here and there.

A friend of mine gave me a 4 year old 48 inch 1080pi Sony Bravia that just needed a lamp replacement. The new lamp was 21 bucks on amazon, and I watched a few "how to" videos on Youtube, seems simple enough.

I will take a new tv for 21 bucks :)