Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
I've had Fire TV with Kodi for several months. Would never go back. I've become a huge cricket fan. Not really, but I could if I wanted.

It has been working well so far. Only watched 1 show but it went pretty smoothly with a few minor hiccups but nothing to make unwatchable

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
It has been working well so far. Only watched 1 show but it went pretty smoothly with a few minor hiccups but nothing to make unwatchable

I use Exodus and Phoenix for pretty much everything. Most can play at around 720 with some at 1080. Not bad for the price and infinite library. :P

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
They're going to do 7S before 8. This happens every year lol.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
no next year will be 10 years since the first iPhone was released so they will be doing a big overhaul and it will be the 8.

Yeah, I believe they're calling it the 8 since it will be a major improvement rather than a marginal 'S' improvement. IMO, the iPhone 7 is more of a 6S^2 than a 7 :lol:

I figured out that the reason my PC kept killing the SSDs I'd install in it was the UPS I was using had a dead battery, so it wasn't getting "clean" power to my system, and SSDs can't handle that. So now that I replaced that, SSDs are much cheaper than 2 years ago when I originally started, and a 500 GB is good enough to keep as a primary drive with the other one just being used for storage.

This is posted on AVS fourms as well but thought I might ask some of you guys in here. Just got my first Smart TV (Sony XBR X850D)

I am running an hdmi from my Xfinity X-1 receiver to the TV. The X-1 is hooked up to my Onkyo receiver. What do I need to do in order to get audio from the apps to work? I tried testing a netflix or prime video but the audio continues to play from the X-1 receiver on whatever channel the cable is on. Do I need to run something directly from the Onkyo receiver to the TV or is there something in the TV setting I'm not considering?

Doing my re
s
earch, it
s
eem
s
li
k
e I will need to run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver in order to be able to play the app
s
through the receiver. Receiver i
s
a bit on the older
s
ide and I'm gue
s
s
ing i
s
n't ARC compatible. I'll try that tonight to
s
ee if it wor
k
s

Curiou
s
if anyone el
s
e i
s
u
s
ing the X-1 cable box from Comca
s
t Xfinity and how well it wor
k
s
with thi
s
TV.
S
uppo
s
edly the TV remote i
s
paired to thi
s
cable box but not much i
s
re
s
pon
s
ive on the TV remote. I thought I might be able to u
s
e the pau
s
e, rewind, etc. button
s
on the bottom of the remote for live TV but they're unre
s
pon
s
ive. Gue
s
s
ing that'
s
maybe only for
s
tuff li
k
e Blu Ray/DVD?
S
hould it wor
k
for the app
s
li
k
e Netflix and Play Mu
s
ic too?

Other que
s
tion about the paired cable box, I wa
s
able to
s
et up the guide through the TV and it "
s
ynced" ba
s
ed on my cable provider. When I try navigating through the guide in Android TV, it doe
s
n't actually go to a channel after I
s
elect it. The channel
s
tay
s
the
s
ame ba
s
ed on what wa
s
s
elected on the Comca
s
t X-1 remote. I
s
there a way to get the on-
s
creen guide to actually wor
k
and change channel
s
with the
S
ony remote?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
This is posted on AVS fourms as well but thought I might ask some of you guys in here. Just got my first Smart TV (Sony XBR X850D)

If your TV and stereo both use HDMI ARC, and you are using a new enough HDMI cable (if it's less than, say, 5 years old, it will be) then your HDMI signal is bi-directional.

Your TV does, that was easy enough to google, but I don't know if your receiver does. Look at your HDMI ports, see if they say "ARC" next to them.

edit: I didn't notice you already said your receiver is old, my bad. So you probably already know this, lol

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
If your TV and stereo both use HDMI ARC, and you are using a new enough HDMI cable (if it's less than, say, 5 years old, it will be) then your HDMI signal is bi-directional.

Your TV does, that was easy enough to google, but I don't know if your receiver does. Look at your HDMI ports, see if they say "ARC" next to them.

edit: I didn't notice you already said your receiver is old, my bad. So you probably already know this, lol

I'm at work now so can't check the receiver but I bought it in 2006/2007 so I'm guessing it's not ARC compatible.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
I'm at work now so can't check the receiver but I bought it in 2006/2007 so I'm guessing it's not ARC compatible.

I'd bet money that it's not because the HDMI standard was brand new then, so yeah, your original solution is probably the route you need to take

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
How much you pay for it? I see some from $100 to lots more.

Here's the one I got - it's at Costco for $199.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K450-Chan...ng+soundbar+450

It throws/simulates realistic surround and sounds great. Big fan. Makes Battlefield 1 sound nuts and works as a great stereo with minimal footprint (I got rid of the monster receiver/speaker set when we moved to our new house).

Very, very happy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Here's the one I got - it's at Costco for $199.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K450-Chan...ng+soundbar+450

It throws/simulates realistic surround and sounds great. Big fan. Makes Battlefield 1 sound nuts and works as a great stereo with minimal footprint (I got rid of the monster receiver/speaker set when we moved to our new house).

Very, very happy.

I haven't had a home sound system for years so this maybe a dumb question, but do these sound bars hook up to TV? No more amplifiers?