Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 09:22 AM)
So I caved and got an apple watch. I was researching hard for something that I could use for my tri training and it really checked the most boxes.

Thats funny, my wife just bought me one for my birthday, even though I really didn’t want one. A few days later, I’m kind of addicted to it.

• 3 months later...

So, im finally tossing my Comcast modem and replacing it with a 3rd party modem connection to the NetGear whole house Router. 

Modem:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5TJGSE/?coliid=I2RQOAFV08L2PY&colid=2QY7CEOGYFPAH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Wireless Router (Orbi)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4CZOBS/?coliid=I2B4JGPIDLDS0X&colid=2QY7CEOGYFPAH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Company is paying for it, so I'm going all in to ensure better connectivity.  Today I have Comcast's modem, wireless router and I have my own Apple Router which is for guests only.  My Wifi will go from 100 MPS ( I pay for 300) to 6 over and over and over all day.  Comcast's router is notorious for having to be reset all the time.  And for someone that works from home this isnt acceptable.  I'll report back with new speedtest results.

Prior to the new modem+router I was getting anywhere from 6 to 60 Mbps in my office on both of my computers.  

Now I am getting well over 100 download and 30 upload(just got 283 download).  It screams.  WIth the orbi satellite placed away from the main router, my wifi also has very minimal degradation when you move into my basement.  Fantastic so far.

It was difficult getting comcast to set up a 3rd party modem, it took me until my third call to get someone who knew what they were doing.  And she was awesome.

Edited by RockRaines

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, RockRaines said:

It was difficult getting comcast to set up a 3rd party modem, it took me until my third call to get someone who knew what they were doing.  And she was awesome.

It's difficult on purpose.  They reallyyyy don't want anyone not renting their stuff.

23 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

It's difficult on purpose.  They reallyyyy don't want anyone not renting their stuff.

I finally figured that out, but luckily there was a woman who was incredibly helpful.  She literally told me the registration thing fails a bunch of times and usually people dont keep trying, they just transfer you.

Someone that is good with internet please help me out here.

My internet drops out probably once or twice a day. I thought it was just the wifi going out because of the ISP but today I connected an ethernet cord to my Roku and the connected internet went out at the same time. Why does this happen? Is it the router, modem, or ISP?

Thank you

Edited by BigHurt3515

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Someone that is good with internet please help me out here.

My internet drops out probably once or twice a day. I thought it was just the wifi going out because of the ISP but today I connected an ethernet cord to my Roku and the connected internet went out at the same time. Why does this happen? Is it the router, modem, or ISP?

Thank you

What are you on?  Cable? DSL?  How do your speed tests look?  Iad had a squirrel quite literally eat my line, and I had slow speeds and regular drops.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What are you on?  Cable? DSL?  How do your speed tests look?  Iad had a squirrel quite literally eat my line, and I had slow speeds and regular drops.

It's cable internet. Download is 59 with upload at 11, the speeds seem fine. It is the wifi drops and my ISP said they couldn't see any problems. I have a feeling it is my router but it is only a year old 

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

It's cable internet. Download is 59 with upload at 11, the speeds seem fine. It is the wifi drops and my ISP said they couldn't see any problems. I have a feeling it is my router but it is only a year old 

Is it your router or one from the company?  If it is a rental, swap it out and check.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If it were me, I would tell you to remove the router and run directly for a period of time to see if you get the same problems without the router in the middle.

7 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Those routers feel like old tech. I used to have problems until I got Comcast and their modem is also the router. Eventually stop renting and getting my own.

Pretty flawless now. I reboot once in awhile but I’d ditch that netgear router IMO

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I read that model has some issues that may be fixed by firmware.  It actually had a lot of bad feedback from several publications because of reliability.  Supposedly the updates fixed those issues.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Those routers feel like old tech. I used to have problems until I got Comcast and their modem is also the router. Eventually stop renting and getting my own.

Pretty flawless now. I reboot once in awhile but I’d ditch that netgear router IMO

Upgrading to a gigabit modem and a mesh system router improved my speeds from 30-40 to 300 mbps.  

4 hours ago, Brian said:

That's interesting that you feel that way.  Years ago, I worked for ARRIS, who makes the combo-modem that Comcast supplies to it's users.  I was told by ARRIS engineers that those Comcast combo-modems are complete garbage, and to stay away from them (I was using that same modem at that time).  So I switched over to my own modem and router, and while I can't recall what my speeds were prior to the switch, they were significantly better afterwards.

38 minutes ago, smalls2598 said:

That's interesting that you feel that way.  Years ago, I worked for ARRIS, who makes the combo-modem that Comcast supplies to it's users.  I was told by ARRIS engineers that those Comcast combo-modems are complete garbage, and to stay away from them (I was using that same modem at that time).  So I switched over to my own modem and router, and while I can't recall what my speeds were prior to the switch, they were significantly better afterwards.

Just saying my experience with them was always trash. Disrupting when I got cell calls and I would change channels and it never worked. This was also awhile ago

49 minutes ago, smalls2598 said:

The AARIS modem I just ditched was terrible and has a bad overheating issue.  That would periodically cause outages.

Just tested my internet speed from Orbi via their app, 364 download, 30.61 up

Edited by RockRaines

17 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

The AARIS modem I just ditched was terrible and has a bad overheating issue.  That would periodically cause outages.

Just tested my internet speed from Orbi via their app, 364 download, 30.61 up

Damn, I'm jealous.  I'll have to look into getting Orbi in the near future.

7 hours ago, Brian said:

I just bought the damn thing a year ago lol. I have Spectrum (St. Louis) so I am not even sure what modem I could buy on my own. I have always used whatever the company gave me and didn't think twice about it.

2 hours ago, RockRaines said:

I read that model has some issues that may be fixed by firmware.  It actually had a lot of bad feedback from several publications because of reliability.  Supposedly the updates fixed those issues.

I did do an update about a month or two ago because it was happening way too often and it helped for a couple weeks but seemed to happen every couple (not as bad as before the update). I just started noticing the last couple days it happening 2-3 times throughout the time I am home.