Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

19 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Tell me more about this Orbi

Its one of the new "Mesh" network solutions out there, along with Google's and the Eero.  What I like about the Orbi is its not just like using a range extender.  The satellite and the main router have a dedicated 5ghz channel between the two so the drop off is very small.  It also comes with some advanced filtering features and Circle by disney which allows me to restrict my kids ipad.  Here is a good cnet review on it

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-orbi-wifi-system/review/

• 2 weeks later...

Am I imagining this or are there things, hopefully offered by Comcast, that I can put in rooms, separate from my modem, that boost my wifi signal to rooms that are away from the modem? Does this make sense.

20 hours ago, Brian said:

Am I imagining this or are there things, hopefully offered by Comcast, that I can put in rooms, separate from my modem, that boost my wifi signal to rooms that are away from the modem? Does this make sense.

That is what their commercial is saying.  I haven't used them yet to confirm if they work or not.  We had an issue with getting internet to the opposite corner of our house from our modem, and about six months ago I went and upgraded to a dual signal modem that put out 2.4 and 5.0 signals, and that worked for us.  I may check out the new modem though, and see if the DVR has an upgrade soon.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is what their commercial is saying.  I haven't used them yet to confirm if they work or not.  We had an issue with getting internet to the opposite corner of our house from our modem, and about six months ago I went and upgraded to a dual signal modem that put out 2.4 and 5.0 signals, and that worked for us.  I may check out the new modem though, and see if the DVR has an upgrade soon.

They are selling the orbi at Costco, saw it today.  Great coverage and less drop off because the router and satellite have a dedicated 5ghz signal between the two.

37 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

They are selling the orbi at Costco, saw it today.  Great coverage and less drop off because the router and satellite have a dedicated 5ghz signal between the two.

Is it a comcast capable one?  If so do you mind sharing the make and model?

On 6/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Is it a comcast capable one?  If so do you mind sharing the make and model?

Comcast modems dont really care about the wireless router, though I'd suggest replacing the modem as well.  My speed is so much better without their crap in the way.  I believe I linked my setup on the last page but here is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5TJGSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K4CZOBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Got Nest thermostats for my new place, but now thinking maybe I should have gone ecobee. Doesnt seem to be a huge difference so whatever.

Only tip I have is that if you have multiple thermostats, buy directly from Comed marketplace. Google only would give 1 $100 rebate, but when you buy directly from comed theyll give you a $100 rebate on up to 2 thermostats. It works for both nest and ecobee.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, Soxbadger said:

Got Nest thermostats for my new place, but now thinking maybe I should have gone ecobee. Doesnt seem to be a huge difference so whatever.

Only tip I have is that if you have multiple thermostats, buy directly from Comed marketplace. Google only would give 1 $100 rebate, but when you buy directly from comed theyll give you a $100 rebate on up to 2 thermostats. It works for both nest and ecobee.

How long have you had the Nest? I've had it almost a month now and like it, but haven't had it long enough to notice a difference on monthly bills.

Just now, kevo880 said:

How long have you had the Nest? I've had it almost a month now and like it, but haven't had it long enough to notice a difference on monthly bills.

I am just having it installed my new place today. I dont move in there until Saturday haha.

I mostly got it for convenience. My new place has 2 independent heating/cooling systems, so I want to be able to control them from my phone. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

I am just having it installed my new place today. I dont move in there until Saturday haha.

I mostly got it for convenience. My new place has 2 independent heating/cooling systems, so I want to be able to control them from my phone. 

For sure. I recent signed up with Vivent Home Security and the Nest was an option to be installed with it. I like how it goes into Eco Mode when it doesn't detect motion for a little while so I do expect to have lower energy costs, especially in the winter time.

I installed a Nest in my girlfriend's apartment in the city, and by far the best part is being able to wake up hot in bed, and pull out my phone to turn on the blowers. And you can set that on a timer as well. So I usually add 2-3 hours at a time, since she is always cold, so I hope she doesn't notice. ha.

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies?srnd=businessweek-v2

On 10/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, StrangeSox said:

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies?srnd=businessweek-v2

This story has been widely refuted by many government organizations (NSA/Europe's version of the NSA), as well as Apple and Amazon in no uncertain terms.

The more I've read about this the more this "anonymously sourced" story sounds like bs.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet the only two "major" US telcoms (Verizon and AT&T) both already denied it.

I'm not claiming something like this isn't possible -- I'm simply saying Bloomberg tried to sound the alarm that pretty much every major US organization has been hacked via this method, and now they're slowly back tracking and getting vaguer by citing "someone in an industry we consider major" instead of naming names.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:32 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Oooooh boy, that Google Pixel 3 looks amazing. Interested to try the "call screening" AI feature.

Aaaaaaaaaaand, pre-ordered. First phone I've ever cared enough to pre-order, and most expensive phone I've ever bought too. Not pleased that I had to essentially open up a credit card through Google to purchase it (Verizon is the only carrier they partner with) on a payment plan, but very excited to bring it to California with me at the end of the month.

Now time to find a good enough case.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:53 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I'm presuming this is an easy ask, but I'm going to be out of pocket on Sunday during the Bears game and have NFL Sunday Ticket (online version). Is there an easy way to have the file open and record my browser so I can watch when I get home?  

I know that Apple computers have apps available that can record screens like that. The risk you're taking is your computer going to sleep in the 3 hour span, or the app automatically stopping the recording during the game due to the file size being too big.