Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

On 12/28/2018 at 9:24 PM, RockRaines said:

Your old company made the switch last year. 

Microsoft includes our stuff in Azure for a reason. Their security tech is fucking terrible. Almost all of those hosted platforms are spending their time fending off attacks. Instead of going after thousands of orgs they only have one or two targets now. It’s so easy. 

Yea heard about that, not surprised as the Sr Dir never trusted SA (who I like).  

My former manager at my current company did crazy things, I can count on two fists the number of times he purchased something without POCing it or comparing it versus something else.  We've wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars because of that in license fees alone, much less people hours.  Glad he left awhile back, wasn't going to last long with his style.

• 5 months later...

Apple to announce new version of iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS at WWDC tomorrow.  Mostly the normal stuff, but they are also discontinuing iTunes.  After 18 years, the music, video, and podcasts apps need to be split up, so I'm pleased with this.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, Eloy Jiménez said:

Apple to announce new version of iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS at WWDC tomorrow.  Mostly the normal stuff, but they are also discontinuing iTunes.  After 18 years, the music, video, and podcasts apps need to be split up, so I'm pleased with this.

I'm definitely one of the few who still downloads music from iTunes on a regular basis so I'm unclear as to what this news means for me. I see "Music" will become its own app but am hoping that it is not exclusively for streaming 

10 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm definitely one of the few who still downloads music from iTunes on a regular basis so I'm unclear as to what this news means for me. I see "Music" will become its own app but am hoping that it is not exclusively for streaming 

On Windows it sounds like iTunes is staying.  On Mac, the app is splitting into three (podcasts, music, TV).  Based on what I'm reading, the store will still exist for music and video and will be accessed through their respective apps.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They really need to pass laws that punish companies harshly for data breaches. It seems to me these companies don't take it seriously enough. 

I tend to agree, but the problem is that could stifle competition because Facebook and Google can afford to pay for these breaches but smaller companies cannot.  

10 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I tend to agree, but the problem is that could stifle competition because Facebook and Google can afford to pay for these breaches but smaller companies cannot.  

Facebook and Google are too big, and need to be broken up. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Facebook and Google are too big, and need to be broken up. 

Another place I'm kind of torn.  Google delivers serious value through ad revenue to the user.  Gmail is free, Google Photos is free, and a bunch of other services are free.  They do that based on ad revenue from search.  So, if we were to take Google, break off search, then everything else would flounder.  That's not even including Android, which is also free.

Facebook, on the other hand, is a true social networking monopoly which absolutely needs to be broken up.  Facebook has bought the two biggest competitors in the marketplace (whatsapp, instagram) and eliminated any competition.  The evidence of abuse or monopoly is rampant so I really feel breaking facebook into three companies is a no-brainer.

However, I'm also realistic.  in the 1990s the government failed to break up Microsoft and will do so again now.  All that will happen is concessions will be made. Nothing good enough.  It makes me so mad, too.  For me, Facebook is a utility I use to keep up with my family 1000 miles away and I can't simply quit it as much as I want to.  Maybe if instagram wasn't a facebook property I could leave Facebook behind.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing this back.

I am looking for a mesh wifi system under $250, looking for a 3 pack and I have no clue what to get. Everything seems to have a handful of bad reviews. I don't know if I need a tri band or if dual band will be fine or if I need wifi 6 or wifi 5 is just fine. We have a 2000 sq ft house, basement, main level, and upstairs. We will be getting AT&T internet up to 500 mbps

28 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Bringing this back.

I am looking for a mesh wifi system under $250, looking for a 3 pack and I have no clue what to get. Everything seems to have a handful of bad reviews. I don't know if I need a tri band or if dual band will be fine or if I need wifi 6 or wifi 5 is just fine. We have a 2000 sq ft house, basement, main level, and upstairs. We will be getting AT&T internet up to 500 mbps

I can't speak specifically about mesh, because I haven't needed it.  As far as any networking devices, avoid TP-Link like the plague.

54 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Bringing this back.

I've had eero for over a year now and no issues. Router, and one beacon. If you are using the garbage router the cable company gives you, then whatever you buy will seem great.

1 hour ago, Big Hurtin said:

I can't speak specifically about mesh, because I haven't needed it.  As far as any networking devices, avoid TP-Link like the plague.

That is one of them I have been looking at. It has good reviews but you will see some here and there about their customer service. 

14 minutes ago, G&T said:

I've had eero for over a year now and no issues. Router, and one beacon. If you are using the garbage router the cable company gives you, then whatever you buy will seem great.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-eero-6-3-pack/dp/B085WSCTS4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=5wX1k&pf_rd_p=a654ad73-af1c-40d7-8dbb-00cce9c459f1&pf_rd_r=EWJ2V5S921D0CH9V8B2P&pd_rd_r=48052321-c942-4e9d-810a-fcd5a7b5db1f&pd_rd_wg=VBjdG&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

On 6/7/2019 at 12:53 PM, Texsox said:

I am also torn. It feels like we are punishing a company for delivering a product that a billion people use while trying to help crappier companies. 

It's about power dynamics. One company can't have that much control. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Bringing this back.

I have the eero system in my house and love it. 

Is there any wearable fitness tracker equivalent to a basic Fitbit that doesn’t crap out after two years? I’m talking something that $150 or less. 

spolier alert: every Fitbit I buy craps out after two years. 

Edited by Marqhead

5 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I ended up going with the Eero Wifi 6 system that was a little under $200. 

Nice. Small thing I should have mentioned, I bought an older version as the newer versions don’t all have Ethernet ports except the main one, where the old ones do…but that’s a small thing. 

My internet speeds have never been faster and there is great coverage through the entire house. 

• 3 months later...

I have a Motorola MG8702 modem. Suppose to get speeds up to 1200 mbps and that is the speed I pay for through Xfinity.

Of course when I do tests, I’m getting 500 mbps tops. I’m not expecting 1200 but thought I’d get between 800-1000 mbps on devices.

Any tips? I’ve looked in the modem configuration and don’t see anything to change. I don’t want to contact Comcast yet cuz I know their spiel.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Brian said:

Anyone here use DirecTV stream?

I see you get nfl Sunday ticket free but was wondering if that is in the DirecTV stream app, or you have to use the Sunday Ticket app, which only allows one log in at a time.

Unless I am wrong sunday ticket doesn’t have any affiliation with direct tv stream. I have stream but use Sunday ticket app (student version). If I could get free I would but my understanding was stream was completely seperate and not part of the original Sunday ticket contract with nfl. 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unless I am wrong sunday ticket doesn’t have any affiliation with direct tv stream. I have stream but use Sunday ticket app (student version). If I could get free I would but my understanding was stream was completely seperate and not part of the original Sunday ticket contract with nfl. 

I read I can sign up for DirecTV Stream and get Sunday ticket free for the season. I was wondering if those games are in the stream app, or you have to use the Sunday ticket app. Sunday ticket app only allows one log in at a time so can’t share. Was just curious.

Was going to split with my little cousin, who is a student, but not if we both can’t log in at same time.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

I read I can sign up for DirecTV Stream and get Sunday ticket free for the season. I was wondering if those games are in the stream app, or you have to use the Sunday ticket app. Sunday ticket app only allows one log in at a time so can’t share. Was just curious.

Was going to split with my little cousin, who is a student, but not if we both can’t log in at same time.

Let me know or share the link my way. I’ll switch my stream between my wife and I’s name if it means I get free Sunday ticket. I can tell you I have never seen any Sunday ticket channels on my guide (and everything I have ever read said they were seperate - if you want Sunday ticket and have steam you need to go through the streaming version that allows one login. I would love for that to change so I can dvr the bears for the days I have a youth sports conflict.