Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
For those of you that have Direct TV, they are offering the Extra Innings package with MLB.TV for a little under $200.

I cancelled my MLB TV subscription and did this. Basically was $60 more to get Extra Innings.

Nice, now maybe I'll get to see the WCIU games. For those that have used MLB.tv in the past, do they usually carry them?

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Nice, now maybe I'll get to see the WCIU games. For those that have used MLB.tv in the past, do they usually carry them?

I can't remember but you'll get the other teams feed at least.

Alright av nerds. Finally getting back to my basement home theater. Projector or giant LeD?

Anyone have experience with a projector?

I do have 3 windows down there but the curtains get it party dark. Right now I am leaning towars an 75-80 in led.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:52 AM)
Alright av nerds. Finally getting back to my basement home theater. Projector or giant LeD?

Anyone have experience with a projector?

I do have 3 windows down there but the curtains get it party dark. Right now I am leaning towars an 75-80 in led.

If you can afford a $3000 TV, then I believe LED TVs are better than projectors. But you can get a projector for $1000. So it's price vs quality.

So, if you're an AT&T or Verizon customer, might be worth checking out your data plan to see if you're getting the best deal. I got some new phones and a plan with AT&T in February. I did the 2 year contract, not the ATT Next thing. 6gb a month for $160 (2 devices). In March they dropped their prices in their ongoing price war with Verizon (Verizon just responded today with a price drop). Anyways, I went over with our data this month and got to looking at our account and there was an option for me to change my plan to a 6gb plan for $130. No catches at all, just a new price. Took 5 minutes to confer with an ATT Rep that there was no hidden catch and make the change.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
If you can afford a $3000 TV, then I believe LED TVs are better than projectors. But you can get a projector for $1000. So it's price vs quality.

There is a 75 in SAmmy for almost half price that I am about to pull the trigger on.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
So, if you're an AT&T or Verizon customer, might be worth checking out your data plan to see if you're getting the best deal. I got some new phones and a plan with AT&T in February. I did the 2 year contract, not the ATT Next thing. 6gb a month for $160 (2 devices). In March they dropped their prices in their ongoing price war with Verizon (Verizon just responded today with a price drop). Anyways, I went over with our data this month and got to looking at our account and there was an option for me to change my plan to a 6gb plan for $130. No catches at all, just a new price. Took 5 minutes to confer with an ATT Rep that there was no hidden catch and make the change.

FWIW I checked Verizon and only 8 or 10GB plan prices are changing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
How could you ever believe it? Serious question. We live in reality.

That technology isn't really that unbelievable. Maybe the specifics are totally wrong, but they've been researching cloaking technology for years now.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisible-tank.htm.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/tech/innovat...ing-technology/

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
That technology isn't really that unbelievable. Maybe the specifics are totally wrong, but they've been researching cloaking technology for years now.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisible-tank.htm.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/tech/innovat...ing-technology/

How could you ever believe it? Serious question. We live in reality.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
"The earth is round and orbits the sun? How could you ever believe it? Serious question? We live in reality."

Magic and science are two very different things. In the year 2014, believing in magic is silly. In the 1500's, believing in science was cool, but not particularly backed by goofballs who... believed in magic and s***.

But thanks for the pointless comment.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Magic and science are two very different things. In the year 2014, believing in magic is silly. In the 1500's, believing in science was cool, but not particularly backed by goofballs who... believed in magic and s***.

FWIW the ancient greeks worked out that the earth was round and came up with a pretty good calculation of the circumference around 300BC or something, plus India and other civilization independently worked it out. Europe got real dumb for a long time after the Roman Empire collapsed.

edit:

Eratosthenes

Eratosthenes (276–194 BC) estimated Earth's circumference around 240 BC. He had heard that in Syene the Sun was directly overhead at the summer solstice whereas in Alexandria it still cast a shadow. Using the differing angles the shadows made as the basis of his trigonometric calculations he estimated a circumference of around 250,000 stades. The length of a 'stade' is not precisely known, but Eratosthenes' figure only has an error of around five to fifteen percent.[19][20][21] Eratosthenes used rough estimates and round numbers, but depending on the length of the stadion, his result is within a margin of between 2% and 20% of the actual meridional circumference, 40,008 kilometres (24,860 mi). Note that Eratosthenes could only measure the circumference of the Earth by assuming that the distance to the Sun is so great that the rays of sunlight are essentially parallel.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

WTF are you talking about? Did you even look at the links I posted? The act of cloaking items and making them invisible to the human eye is being worked on right now. It's not "magic."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
WTF are you talking about? Did you even look at the links I posted? The act of cloaking items and making them invisible to the human eye is being worked on right now. It's not "magic."

I would assume the military does a ton of work with this actually.

Whether you bend the light around objects, or wear clothing that just displays the image of what's directly behind it on screens.