Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
That'd be because he *is* wrong.

When it comes to refresh rates/sports, nothing comes close to plasma. The issue with plasma has never been one of picture quality or refresh speed, the issue was of burn-in and it's non-efficient use of electricity in comparison to LCD sets.

And as someone else correctly pointed out, LED *is* LCD, with different back lighting.

Plasmas are also much heavier and get red hot. My 7 year old plasma owns at watching hockey. However they do not make a plasma large enough for a big room so you have to spend quite a bit to get one of the better LED's.

I also only buy samsung. I have an Apple TV on each TV in my house so the "smart" features never get used. I have used 3D and its cool, but only for the occasional movie. If you want good blacks with an LED micro dimming is a good tech. At the end of the day if there are light splotches in a super dark scene during a movie will you even care? It could be the stupid comcast feed anyway.

The ONE thing I hate is sometimes LED's show a skipping hockey puck or golf ball or show the notorious 3 balls flying through the air. You can adjust your setting to minimize that and LED's look pretty slick otherwise. I just got a 75 incher for my basement and I am sure it will be awesome for 90 percent of what I watch.

Or you could always get this

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-In...rds=samsung+led

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Plasmas are also much heavier and get red hot. My 7 year old plasma owns at watching hockey. However they do not make a plasma large enough for a big room so you have to spend quite a bit to get one of the better LED's.

I also only buy samsung.

When I went to mount my 50-inch plasma a few months ago (it had always just stood on its base), it was heavy as all f***...what a b**** that was...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
When I went to mount my 50-inch plasma a few months ago (it had always just stood on its base), it was heavy as all f***...what a b**** that was...

Yeah its incredible because when I got it I remember how much lighter it was than my "big screen."

You can mount a 60 inch LED with one person.

you should know me better than to think I didn't google it before posting

51" CLASS PN51F5500 – UPC 887276020914

Order code: PN51F5500AFXZA

DIMENSIONS (WxHxD)

TV without stand: 46.9" x 27.9" x 2.2"

TV with stand: 46.9" x 31.4" x 12.1"

Package: 50.9" x 31.9" x 13.0"

WEIGHT

TV without stand: 40.8 lbs.

TV with stand: 44.8 l

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
you should know me better than to think I didn't google it before posting

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50PN6...keywords=plasma

Brand Name LG

Item Weight 57.5 pounds

Product Dimensions 46 x 11.5 x 29.7 inches

Item model number 50PN6500

Color Name Black

Specification Met Energy Star

Whats up now b****.

That's fine as long as we all agree that Rock and Shack struggle to lift 60 pounds.

seriously though plasmas are definitely significantly heavier than comparably sized LCDs, but I moved mine once to put it on the wall and might move it again in 3-5 years if we move to a new house.

Well, mine is about 5.5 years old, and so I imagine it is heavier than many of the newer ones.

More so than the weight, is just how large and unwieldy it is...and then having to line up these little hooks onto this bar that is hanging like an inch off the wall....well, needless to say I struggled to do it myself for a bit and then had to call in the fiancee...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
That's fine as long as we all agree that Rock and Shack struggle to lift 60 pounds.

seriously though plasmas are definitely significantly heavier than comparably sized LCDs, but I moved mine once to put it on the wall and might move it again in 3-5 years if we move to a new house.

Also a consideration is you NEED to have the mount screwed into studs. I have an LCD that I used half drywall anchors and it would never work with 60 lbs.

Netflix has started offering 4k content, including HoC.

From the CNET review:

As we and others expected, Netflix's streaming 4K video, delivered at 15.6 Mbps, still showed signs of compression, and the test concluded "we still think that reference-level 1080p Blu-ray transfers like 'Oblivion' look cleaner especially during busier sequences." On the other hand, HDTVTest says it looked appreciably better than Netflix's previous best, its so-called SuperHD.
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)

I also only buy samsung. I have an Apple TV on each TV in my house so the "smart" features never get used. I have used 3D and its cool, but only for the occasional movie. If you want good blacks with an LED micro dimming is a good tech. At the end of the day if there are light splotches in a super dark scene during a movie will you even care? It could be the stupid comcast feed anyway.

The ONE thing I hate is sometimes LED's show a skipping hockey puck or golf ball or show the notorious 3 balls flying through the air. You can adjust your setting to minimize that and LED's look pretty slick otherwise. I just got a 75 incher for my basement and I am sure it will be awesome for 90 percent of what I watch.

Or you could always get this

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-In...rds=samsung+led

What TV do you have, Rock? The new one that is.

Part of me wants to stay plasma because it's better for sports, part of me wants to go to LED since it's lighter, will be easier to mount (never done that before), no burn in/red hot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
That's what Monoprice ships with their mounts. For some reason they ship like twenty of them, though.

Well some are to screw the vertical mounts to the back of your tv...the newer tvs seem to use a standard size, but the older ones used all different sizes I think...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Well some are to screw the vertical mounts to the back of your tv...the newer tvs seem to use a standard size, but the older ones used all different sizes I think...

I meant the lag bolts. I have probably 30 of them in my garage from three different mounts.

Most TVs and monitors use a "VESA" pattern these days, I think it became pretty much industry standard in 2005 or so.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
What TV do you have, Rock? The new one that is.

Part of me wants to stay plasma because it's better for sports, part of me wants to go to LED since it's lighter, will be easier to mount (never done that before), no burn in/red hot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRTGY/ref=wl...5MTOO&psc=1

Great deal and its pretty damn good. I had to configure it for hockey and golf so I dont have the "real" effect from smoothing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
When are networks shifting to 4k? Or are they ever? Anyone been reading up on it? I thought I read somewhere that House of Cards was filmed in 4k.

House of Cards is delivered over data networks, but the 4k stream still requires a large amount of bandwidth most people don't have right now. Broadcast TV/Cable/Sat will probably not upgrade to anything near 4k for more than a decade to come, if even that soon. They currently broadcast at 720p/1080i, and they're doing that WITH massive compression. Not to mention, they JUST upgraded everything to HD, I don't see them upgrading all the broadcast hardware they just upgraded again for 4k.

Outside of movie theaters and very very large screens, there is no need for 4k. It's not the visual jump experienced from old broadcast tv/vhs to HDtv on smaller screens. This is another spec race that doesn't make much sense in most formats. What I mean by this is just like with 1080p on screens less than 50" is indistinguishable from 720p, etc. 4K would only be truly useful on screens bigger than say 100", and even than, probably only for videophiles who claim they can see differences when they really can't. Let's keep in mind, just like their audiophile counterparts, they overwhelmingly fail double-blind hearing/sight tests whenever they're given them.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s4. Recently my wi-fi and bluetooth both stopped working. When I press either button, they turn a dim light green for a few seconds, then it just shuts off. I have tried to Google a solution, but I don't even understand half these suggestions. Anybody have any advice as to how I might be able to fix this problem? Would a factory reset do the trick?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I have a Samsung Galaxy s4. Recently my wi-fi and bluetooth both stopped working. When I press either button, they turn a dim light green for a few seconds, then it just shuts off. I have tried to Google a solution, but I don't even understand half these suggestions. Anybody have any advice as to how I might be able to fix this problem? Would a factory reset do the trick?

Factory reset should do the trick. That reformats the /system partition, which is where a lot of your OS files live.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Factory reset should do the trick. That reformats the /system partition, which is where a lot of your OS files live.

Tried it, no luck. Guess I'll try T-Mobile tech support. For some reason, they don't have an e-mail address to contact.