Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
So I picked up a chromecast this past weekend, not a big fan thus far.

What don't you like about it?

It can pretty much stream anything if you know what apps to use.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
What don't you like about it?

It can pretty much stream anything if you know what apps to use.

Can it stream prime? More of it has to do with my galaxy's S4's inability to keep a solid wifi signal (and no it is not my wifi at my house) it is the piece of s*** wifi on the S4's (and a known problem...just like their relatively s***ty bluetooth as well). As a result, Iget pretty choppy issues.

Also have had all kinds of issues with MLB.TV streaming through chrome (and no issues on my PS3). Again, might not be the Chrome's problem but when my primary use of the Chrome is to stream Sox games to my TV and that doesn't work well, well, it annoys me.

I've already said on many occasions, as soon as I can I am running away from android cause it is nowhere near as smooth of an O/S as the Apple one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Can it stream prime? More of it has to do with my galaxy's S4's inability to keep a solid wifi signal (and no it is not my wifi at my house) it is the piece of s*** wifi on the S4's (and a known problem...just like their relatively s***ty bluetooth as well). As a result, Iget pretty choppy issues.

Also have had all kinds of issues with MLB.TV streaming through chrome (and no issues on my PS3). Again, might not be the Chrome's problem but when my primary use of the Chrome is to stream Sox games to my TV and that doesn't work well, well, it annoys me.

I've already said on many occasions, as soon as I can I am running away from android cause it is nowhere near as smooth of an O/S as the Apple one.

Does it get choppy after the video starts? Chromecast has it's own wifi, so it really shouldn't matter if your phone sucks unless it's a command issue.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)

Prime is Amazon's issue. They don't want to release a Amazon Instant Video app on Android because it would compete with their Fire tablets. But yes you can stream it from your computer as a last resort.

Why are you streaming MLB.tv through Chrome? You can do it through the Android app. Streaming video through Chrome requires your computer to have a pretty good video card. Most laptops will have a hard time with it.

I have nothing but positives to say about the Chromecast. It's cheap and it streams just about everything (I use Plex to stream my movies on my media server and BubbleUPnP to stream pretty much any online video link imaginable).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Does it get choppy after the video starts? Chromecast has it's own wifi, so it really shouldn't matter if your phone sucks unless it's a command issue.

Yeah for whatever reason, my parents had a hard time setting theirs up correctly since the Chromecast was fairly far away from the router.

I don't have such an issue since my router is on my TV stand.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
No issues on my end.

it happens only when I am logged in.... I tried it from 5 different site, including my friends computer at the coffee shop.

it happens all the time when logged in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)

Yeah it does. I Have zero issues with wifi on my laptops or PS3 (or any Iphones (my work phone and my wifes phone).

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Prime is Amazon's issue. They don't want to release a Amazon Instant Video app on Android because it would compete with their Fire tablets. But yes you can stream it from your computer as a last resort.

Why are you streaming MLB.tv through Chrome? You can do it through the Android app. Streaming video through Chrome requires your computer to have a pretty good video card. Most laptops will have a hard time with it.

I have nothing but positives to say about the Chromecast. It's cheap and it streams just about everything (I use Plex to stream my movies on my media server and BubbleUPnP to stream pretty much any online video link imaginable).

I meant to say the app. I use the APP (not MLB.TV). I consider it all the same thing but it is that MLB At bat app or whatever it is called.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Yeah for whatever reason, my parents had a hard time setting theirs up correctly since the Chromecast was fairly far away from the router.

I don't have such an issue since my router is on my TV stand.

My chromecast is also right next to the router.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)

PS: I knew prime didn't work through the standard chromecast, just didn't know if there were workarounds available. And while you might have your point, Prime is available on a lot of other streaming systems, so I do look at it as a google problem (it isn't like the only way you can get prime streaming is with a amazon device).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
My chromecast is also right next to the router.

Your router must not like your Chromecast or you got a faulty Chromecast. Like someone mentioned before, it has nothing to do with the WiFi on your Galaxy S4, your S4 is nothing but a remote and an initiator of the stream, whatever WiFi issues it may have doesn't affect how the video quality is on your Chromecast.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Your router must not like your Chromecast or you got a faulty Chromecast. Like someone mentioned before, it has nothing to do with the WiFi on your Galaxy S4, your S4 is nothing but a remote and an initiator of the stream, whatever WiFi issues it may have doesn't affect how the video quality is on your Chromecast.

I think he meant he is streaming FROM his phone to Chromcast, not simply streaming netflix using phone as the remote.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
I think he meant he is streaming FROM his phone to Chromcast, not simply streaming netflix using phone as the remote.

You can't stream from the phone. Chromecast doesn't work that way. It literally takes the link from the phone, goes to it and streams the video.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
So it doesnt have "airplay" features?

It does. But at least with Netflix and HBO, your phone commands the Chromecast where to go and what to do. The Chromecast then independently connects to the internet and the Netflix/HBO servers. Maybe MLB's app is different, but I doubt it. If the issue is choppiness after the video has begun, it's an internet/chromecast issue, not an S4 issue.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
It does. But at least with Netflix and HBO, your phone commands the Chromecast where to go and what to do. The Chromecast then independently connects to the internet and the Netflix/HBO servers. Maybe MLB's app is different, but I doubt it. If the issue is choppiness after the video has begun, it's an internet/chromecast issue, not an S4 issue.

#1 fix, unplug everything and then plug it all back in.

Not sure if I'm being a cheapskate or not but RCN just raised the price of my Internet + TV combo to $89.99/month from $79.99.

I am looking for a cheaper alternative. I have heard pretty brutal things about AT&T U Verse in the past, have they upped their game?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Not sure if I'm being a cheapskate or not but RCN just raised the price of my Internet + TV combo to $89.99/month from $79.99.

I am looking for a cheaper alternative. I have heard pretty brutal things about AT&T U Verse in the past, have they upped their game?

UVerse has limitations that you need to understand before you buy it.

#1 limitation, the signal is going across phone lines. Internet is DSL.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
I've been happy with U-Verse internet. 24/mbs speed for $42/month after fees. I've been on a sweet retention deal for a year and actually just re-upped for another year at this price yesterday. And it's a legit 24, even at night.

Depends how far you are from the hub.

And 24 isnt fast enough for some people...