Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Another big data breach, this time Home Depot.

Sigh. Probably means I'm going to get yet another CC number, meaning I'll have to change all of my autobill stuff again.

Yea, that's quickly getting old.

Well, just another warning to never use debit cards for anyone that does.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Yea, that's quickly getting old.

Well, just another warning to never use debit cards for anyone that does.

You mean any sort of plastic. Because none of it is safe until we go to chip and pin universally.

And when that happens, they will figure out how to get around that too

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
iPhone 6 reveal today, apple fans rejoice, droid fans mock. Lol

Seriously.

I don't care if someone has a Galaxy and likes it. I am comfortable with my iPhone and excited to get the 6. Leave me alone.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
iPhone 6 reveal today, apple fans rejoice, droid fans mock. Lol

When they reveal the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones today, people who said they'd never use anything close to that big (looking at you shack...) will probably eat their words.

The 4.7 inch phone is about the size of a Nexus 5, haven't seen the 5.5 inch one yet, but I think it might actually be bigger than the current Note 3.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
You mean any sort of plastic. Because none of it is safe until we go to chip and pin universally.

And when that happens, they will figure out how to get around that too

I thought CC charges are easier to dispute and reverse than debit charges because debits hit your bank account immediately.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Seriously.

I don't care if someone has a Galaxy and likes it. I am comfortable with my iPhone and excited to get the 6. Leave me alone.

It's just funny that Apple fans continuously jabbed Android users for how big their phones were for years and now that Apple is doing the same, I'm sure a lot of people will stop doing that.

I'm curious to see if they'll release a new 4 inch version. I think there's a subset of Apple users who actually prefer the smaller screen.

FWIW, I managed to get two different phones, one personal, and one through work, and wanted to offer some thoughts.

First off, Verizons network just destroys Sprints. I have had many spots where I know I have no sprint service, where Verizon comes through. I have yet to find the opposite.

Next, the phones themselves. I got the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One (M8)

Galaxy wins on

-The camera is excellent. It is the first cell camera that I actually liked a lot.

-Removable battery

-hand position of buttons

HTC wins on

-Speakers being on the front of the phone, and FAR superior quality

-battery life is awesome, especially in standby mode

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
For the bank, sure, but fighting with Chase over a $2000 charge I don't want to pay is different than fighting with Chase over $2000 that are already withdrawn from my account via debit card.

I work recovery in chase, we issue credit as soon as the case is assigned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
FWIW, I managed to get two different phones, one personal, and one through work, and wanted to offer some thoughts.

First off, Verizons network just destroys Sprints. I have had many spots where I know I have no sprint service, where Verizon comes through. I have yet to find the opposite.

Next, the phones themselves. I got the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One (M8)

Galaxy wins on

-The camera is excellent. It is the first cell camera that I actually liked a lot.

-Removable battery

-hand position of buttons

HTC wins on

-Speakers being on the front of the phone, and FAR superior quality

-battery life is awesome, especially in standby mode

Yeah, the M8 is the far superior phone. It wins in pretty much every major category except for camera.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
For the bank, sure, but fighting with Chase over a $2000 charge I don't want to pay is different than fighting with Chase over $2000 that are already withdrawn from my account via debit card.

Usually it's the same processing time if they catch it early enough (within 24 hours). The bank only puts a hold on your account with debit purchases until it clears. Technically it's not withdrawn until its processed.

My wife has had her debit card # stolen twice in the last 3-4 years. Both times Chase immediately notified us (because the charges were in Australia or another country at almost the same time as charges here) and we shut the card off. I think it's been under a few hundred bucks both times and it was never an issue getting the charges removed.