Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
But you have to physically have someones phone right?

And a 3-D map of their face in detail. If someone imaged and 3-D printed your face and added some color it could work.

Interestingly I haven't thought about this before, but this does solve the "Law enforcement can't unlock your phone without the passcode" issue if they can just hold it in front of the person's dead body.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
And a 3-D map of their face in detail. If someone imaged and 3-D printed your face and added some color it could work.

Interestingly I haven't thought about this before, but this does solve the "Law enforcement can't unlock your phone without the passcode" issue if they can just hold it in front of the person's dead body.

I think I read that you have to be awake...I am not certain though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)

I mean, its not any less secure than fingerprint or passcode IMO. People just want to break s*** for no reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
I think I read that you have to be awake...I am not certain though.

Yes, you have to be be awake

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Wouldn't call it big... what are the odds someone takes your phone and also 3D prints an anatomically correct mask of your face?

I mean, if someone is doing that, you probably have more to fear than them accessing your phone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
I mean, if someone is doing that, you probably have more to fear than them accessing your phone.

And plus, by the time you get the phone, build a face model, the phone will probably have been inactive long enough that a passcode will be required to open it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)

In a few years if you walk through an airport, there will probably be enough high resolution cameras to capture your face at enough angles to allow you to reconstruct this type of login from what is collected (basically the same thing as the facial recognition they're trying to use).

Best Buy is selling the Google Home Mini for $30 (but comes with $10 gift card). So for $20, it's kind of hard to pass up. I ended up buying one for my aunt, and a 2nd one for me for no real reason other than it was only $20. I'm buying the 2-pack of Google Home's at Costco tomorrow for $170, selling one to my parents.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
We’ve talked before about this in here, but can anyone point me in the direction of a good sound bar? Doesn’t have to be great. Not looking to spend too much.

I see some on amazon but not sure of model.

Got mine from Costco, I believe it's a Vizio one. It was about $100 on sale or so, and it's great for a simple sound system.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
We’ve talked before about this in here, but can anyone point me in the direction of a good sound bar? Doesn’t have to be great. Not looking to spend too much.

I see some on amazon but not sure of model.

Check out Woot, they have ridiculously cheap ones on there almost every day.

Anyone own a Chromebook? My wife and I are looking into buying one for our kindergartner for xmas. Doesn't need to do much, just run some web apps for his school and then maybe some android games and Netflix. I'm looking at some of the cheaper options (like the Samsung Chromebook 3) but they all have crappy, non-HD screens. I wonder if that's a huge deal in the 11 inch screen size.

Your 5 year old runs web apps? Curious what he is doing (more since mine will be at that age). Related to that, what sorts of apps / learning techniques are people doing with their little ones relative to technology. We haven't done much with "screens" for our kids at this point. In fact, this holiday season is probably the most we've leveraged the screen (since the oldest is at the age where we are hyping up the Xmas theme).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Your 5 year old runs web apps? Curious what he is doing (more since mine will be at that age). Related to that, what sorts of apps / learning techniques are people doing with their little ones relative to technology. We haven't done much with "screens" for our kids at this point. In fact, this holiday season is probably the most we've leveraged the screen (since the oldest is at the age where we are hyping up the Xmas theme).

I meant websites with reading and math exercises. Not specific "apps." I was surprised how much they push it on the parents. The kids have computer lab at school and they each have their own account that you can log into from home that tracks their progress (and let's them continue from where they left off at school or at home). They want the kids to do the exercises 4-5 nights a week, which seems like a lot to me.

We've been the anti-phone/tablet parents. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I didn't want to be the parents that let their kids stare at a screen during dinner at a restaurant or even at home. I would say in the last year we've been opening it up more, mostly because we also have a 1.5 year old and it's a nightmare trying to keep both quiet and entertained. My son's big into Pokemon so Pokemon Go was/is a huge reward we gave him for having good days at school.

We push the legos/puzzles/books/toys as much as possible. The phone/tablet is for car/plane rides (movies) or for the special reward. I would say maybe an hour total a week, if that.

Now Netflix on the TV, that's another issue...

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
Anyone own a Chromebook? My wife and I are looking into buying one for our kindergartner for xmas. Doesn't need to do much, just run some web apps for his school and then maybe some android games and Netflix. I'm looking at some of the cheaper options (like the Samsung Chromebook 3) but they all have crappy, non-HD screens. I wonder if that's a huge deal in the 11 inch screen size.

I have the Samsung Chromebook Pro which I use strictly for school (college student) and it's really nice. Battery life could be better but that's my only complaint. I don't think a kindergartner would need the processing power of the Pro, so the Samsung Chromebook Plus ($50-$100 cheaper), while still expensive for a Chromebook, would meet all of your criteria, and its screen is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

We use Chromebooks in the classroom. I'm pleasantly surprised how robust they are. I rarely have to send one in for a failure. Actually, so far, none have failed in 18 months of heavy school use.

My son gave me a Ducky One keyboard for Christmas to help spur my writing. Wow, it's a throwback to the super solid keyboards of the 1980s. Plus the crazy backlighting affects are mesmerizing.

My girlfriend's iPhone 6 is pretty much killing itself. First it started slowly deleting all it's content, and every app she opened crashed. Then Apple ID all together stopped working and logging out/in didn't help, it kept says her password was wrong. After changing her password failed, she did a reset on the settings, then logged back in. Her phone started to repopulate itself and apps worked. But her app store didn't. Then her top info bar of the phone went away. Then the camera app stopped working, then constant freezing, and now it's shut itself down and won't turn on.

Obviously Apple f***s with their older phones on purpose, but I am thinking this is way too extreme to be sabotage. She's seriously considering switching to the Pixel 2 because "it's cute", and I sincerely hope she does. Would make fixing her phone problems so much easier.