Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
um, what? Yeah i guess people don't NEED a laptop or a computer or ipod or phone. True, it's not water. But these are all things that many people do really want. None of this is that bizaare. This is essentially an answer to netbooks and kindels. You won't be seeing it in sharper image.

Why can I find anything apple makes, for like half the price from other places? Why would I pay 1000+ for a macbook when I can pay like 600 for a laptop from Dell with windows. They overprice everything they make, but I can't blame them because for some reason people buy the stuff. What I meant by no one needing it is I don't need a new ipod everytime a new generation comes out. I'm sure Ipad 2.0 isn't that far away because they always come out with new stuff for people to buy when the old ones are still perfectly capable.

Edited by kev211

yeah, there are really cheap lap tops. Really cheap mp3 players. But they look like s*** and operate to me, I like OSX more and haven't had to deal with half the s*** most of my friends have dealt with with their PCs. And as far as apps go, blackberry isn't even close to the number of apps, so ipod touch/ipod. And further, what we are boiling down to is the fact that many, many of the people that shelled out the cash for apple products really loved the quality.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Why can I find anything apple makes, for like half the price from other places? Why would I pay 1000+ for a macbook when I can pay like 600 for a laptop from Dell with windows. They overprice everything they make, but I can't blame them because for some reason people buy the stuff. What I meant by no one needing it is I don't need a new ipod everytime a new generation comes out. I'm sure Ipad 2.0 isn't that far away because they always come out with new stuff for people to buy when the old ones are still perfectly capable.

No one is arguing that Apple doesn't overprice their hardware. Most people buy Apple's systems for their software not for the hardware. Sure there are those that like the pretty in the Apple system. They are nice looking. However I for one would buy a Dell laptop if it ran the Apple's OS X. However it doesn't so I bought the Macbook pro. And sure I could run whatever variant flavor of the day Linux OS on the Dell laptop. Hell I have done this already. And when it comes down to it, OS X is a hell of an OS and works well. The only reason I run OS X today is due to Jobs bringing back NeXT as the foundation of OSX and it running on Intel. The NeXT integration to me is one of the most important inovations at Apple.

As far as newer versions of stuff. Blame Moores law. In the end no one is forcing anyone to purchase anything. You are happy with X product and its features, then keep it. Inovation in products however is part of the game. When X version III comes out and you look over at the 10 new features then you have to weigh it on your own. Are these new features something that I want enough to purchase a new product. I had a Gen I Ipod. I didnt upgrade until I saw the video Ipod classic. The new stuff for people to buy is part of this industry. Just check out the computer industry in general its all over.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)

Because if you didn't you'd be stuck running Windows.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
I don't get it. It's like a giant phone but not a phone. My laptop and phone can do everything this thing does, better then this thing does it. The best part I paid less for both of them combined then one of the higher end models.

I don't really get apple, and don't understand why people are in love with them. They just come up with new crap all the time that no one needs and way overprice it.

It seems like people wanted a MacBook Pro to be shrunk to hand held size. Technology hasn't quite come that far yet. If you want it to be a fully equipped computer, it would cost three times as much. I was really hoping it would have Snow Leopard on there as opposed to iPhone OS. I wasn't going to rush to buy one, but when I need a new computer maybe the technology will be good enough and I won't need all the features of a laptop.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
This thing isn't gonna be useful until you are able to pull things off of a computer screen and right onto the pad like in Avatar.

Haha yes. I was thinking that when I saw the iPad. That's technology I would love to see.

i think this will be a flop unfortunately, as much as i love my apple products (Macbook Pro with OSX and windows 7 ftw). like its been said, no flash support, no camera, no replaceable battery, no Multi-tasking and no HDMI port hit hard for a nerd like me. and the hard drive space isnt very impressive.. cmon steve jobs gimme something over 200 gigs at least to fit all my music, movies, audiobooks etc....

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
I'm still trying to figure out what purpose or need this device is trying to fulfill. It's not enough for any business use and its not enough for social use. What is their target market here? How is this better than a netbook?

Well, for one, I explained why someone like myself would use it, and bmags has explained why it is better than a s***ty netbook. But if you want to keep on ignoring the pure genius in this thread, than so be it...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Well, for one, I explained why someone like myself would use it, and bmags has explained why it is better than a s***ty netbook. But if you want to keep on ignoring the pure genius in this thread, than so be it... ;)

I was hoping for the ability of a netbook and an eReader combined with this, but was really disappointed.

My netbook and any e-Reader work much better than what this thing will do.

The netbook I have runs all of the apps I need including Office and iTunes. I can also connect to the Verizon 3G network to browse wherever and whenever I want and have any sort of a signal. I've got 250GBs of storage on it as well as card readers to throw my pictures from my digital camera on it. Oh, and it has a web cam on it. I didn't have to pay the $70 or whatever it will cost to add a web cam. Also, I can run more than 1 app at a time on the netbook. The only thing this has on a good netbook from what I can see is that it may do video better (even though it doesn't have a good output for it).

As far as an eReader, the screen is not as good for your eyes as the eReaders out there. Battery life is also lacking compared to eReaders. Kindles and Nooks last days on 1 charge. The iPad lasts 10 hours. Granted, a screen that enables really good video cannot last for days and will not have the technology that is good for the eyes when reading.

Count me as disappointed, but I think my expectations may have been way too high for this thing.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
I was hoping for the ability of a netbook and an eReader combined with this, but was really disappointed.

My netbook and any e-Reader work much better than what this thing will do.

The netbook I have runs all of the apps I need including Office and iTunes. I can also connect to the Verizon 3G network to browse wherever and whenever I want and have any sort of a signal. I've got 250GBs of storage on it as well as card readers to throw my pictures from my digital camera on it. Oh, and it has a web cam on it. I didn't have to pay the $70 or whatever it will cost to add a web cam. Also, I can run more than 1 app at a time on the netbook. The only thing this has on a good netbook from what I can see is that it may do video better (even though it doesn't have a good output for it).

As far as an eReader, the screen is not as good for your eyes as the eReaders out there. Battery life is also lacking compared to eReaders. Kindles and Nooks last days on 1 charge. The iPad lasts 10 hours. Granted, a screen that enables really good video cannot last for days and will not have the technology that is good for the eyes when reading.

Count me as disappointed, but I think my expectations may have been way too high for this thing.

well the web cam thing was an obvious ?, unless they really just want to save ish like that for upgrades, but it's stupid considering how it's offered on nearly all your other products. But, it lasts 10 hrs to run video, does it only last 10 hrs. for it's e-reader?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Windows 7 is f***ing awesome.

i like windows 7, it definitely eats up less resources than vista. i installed it on my dads old laptop and it runs fine. it runs amazing when i dual boot off of my macbook pro. im still trying to find all the nooks and crannies of the OS.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
i like windows 7, it definitely eats up less resources than vista. i installed it on my dads old laptop and it runs fine. it runs amazing when i dual boot off of my macbook pro. im still trying to find all the nooks and crannies of the OS.

The "god mode" is a very nice addition and an easy way to find your way around the OS.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Windows 7 is f***ing awesome.

Its probably the best Windows OS that has come out. Hopefully when we deploy it to our users it will stop a lot of the nonsense issues that they run into with XP/Vista.

Microsoft still needs to address at some point their security model. A wrapper/layer similar to SE-Linux or a chroot jail that could isolate and sandbox the browser and its plugins from the OS would be nice. That would turn this into a first rate OS.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Its probably the best Windows OS that has come out. Hopefully when we deploy it to our users it will stop a lot of the nonsense issues that they run into with XP/Vista.

Microsoft still needs to address at some point their security model. A wrapper/layer similar to SE-Linux or a chroot jail that could isolate and sandbox the browser and its plugins from the OS would be nice. That would turn this into a first rate OS.

Thank God I got out of the Army when i did.. The military is supposed to upgrade to windows 7 in late 2010. I cant imagine having to deal with all the Captains and Majors and Lieutenants screaming that they have no clue how to use windows 7 and they need their outlook set up properly NOW!! lol.. its funny you think that with a proper college educatioin theyd at least know how to set up their own emails accounts... :lolhitting