Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
maybe Obama can put him on the ticket as VP. totally bipartisan ticket. would the Dems go for that?

They're not going to replace a veteran Democrat on the lower half of the ticket to give a Republican an incredible advantage in 2016.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
They're not going to replace a veteran Democrat on the lower half of the ticket to give a Republican an incredible advantage in 2016.

Exactly. Obama really doesn't have the entire say in who he runs with.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Plus Joe Biden has been one of Obama's best assets in this term. Republicans will negotiate with Biden because he is "Not Obama."

Wait, what? The human verbal trip-up has been one of his best assets? If it is true that the GOP will negotiate with him because he is Not Obama, than that would work for anyone he picked as a VP.

Not that he would ever pick Huntsman or any other Republican, but still, I don't see how Biden has done anything to help Obama, at least in the public eye. What he might do behind closed doors I don't know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Wait, what? The human verbal trip-up has been one of his best assets? If it is true that the GOP will negotiate with him because he is Not Obama, than that would work for anyone he picked as a VP.

Not that he would ever pick Huntsman or any other Republican, but still, I don't see how Biden has done anything to help Obama, at least in the public eye. What he might do behind closed doors I don't know.

No way, if he had picked Clinton there would have been no chance they would play ball with her.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)

Biden is the reason START got ratified, and also his relationship with McConnell essentially helped make a deal happen to avoid default. So yeah, he says a lot of stupid stuff, but he's been incredibly useful.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
I liked Richardson in 2008 because, despite his personal foibles, he was business-minded, and he was reasonable. He was interested in fiscal discipline in a way most Dems weren't, and he had a record of being able to get two-party support for a ton of initiatives. Plus he had foreign policy experience.

Huntsman, it is the same sort of story. He's the only guy I see in the current GOP field who seems to be reasonable (this aspect is even more dramatic in the 2011 GOP, where extremism is in vogue), he's got foreign policy experience, and his fiscal mindset while conservative, is not living outside of reality.

I'm a huge fan of Huntsman. He's really the only GOP candidate I really like. It's too bad the current political climate, particularly in the GOP, gives him no chance. And you're right, he is the only GOP candidate who is reasonable.

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of John Huntsman?

Favorable: 13

Unfavorable: 40

Not sure: 46

poll of Iowa voters. huntsman is the only republican candidate unfavorable outside the margin or error. And they really dislike him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

that's why you need Huntsman on the ticket. Obama/Huntsman 2012

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
poll of Iowa voters. huntsman is the only republican candidate unfavorable outside the margin or error. And they really dislike him.

and I bet he has one of the highest, if not the highest, in the do-not-know category. That would be his undoing. When someone is that unknown, the favorable/unfavorable numbers are pretty useless. Once candidates get to where the unsure/do not know category are down in like the 20's or lower, that is when the values are useful.

But he probably never gets to that point anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
and I bet he has one of the highest, if not the highest, in the do-not-know category. That would be his undoing. When someone is that unknown, the favorable/unfavorable numbers are pretty useless. Once candidates get to where the unsure/do not know category are down in like the 20's or lower, that is when the values are useful.

But he probably never gets to that point anyway.

i don't think that is the case. his negatives are brutal. the more people know about him, the less they like him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
The party of inclusion only applies if you agree with them.

And with such a huge range of possible agreements, that is much more likely than with the other party and their other sub party.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
I dont see how its laughable as your own post supported my statement.

IE Can not live on its own.

I can make a robot that has arms, fingers, feet and hands, that looks really cute and cuddly, but its not a human, its not alive. Once again, complex development= not able to survive on its own.

I get that people are emotional about cute little babies and no one wants to imagine their child being ripped apart by a vacuum cleaner. But until the fetus can survive on its own, there is (imo) no good reason to protect it. Potential life is not the same as actual life. If it was it would be a crime to masturbate because youd be killing billions of potential life forms.

A newborn baby can not survive on its own. Someone has to feed and shelter the baby. So you'd be in favor of killing one month old bags of cells?