Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Rick Perry's statement that Ben Bernanke's actions have verged on treason is the #1 U.S. political story of the day on CNN's homepage right now. It's been reacted to by Karl Rove, who has an interest in one of the other candidates (although I'll admit I'm not sure which one). It's the top story in this race so far today. Is posting that "poisoning the well"?

After all of the posts you have made about Perry, you can't be asking that with a straight face.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
After all of the posts you have made about Perry, you can't be asking that with a straight face.

So, because I happen to be a Democrat, it's unfair to post the news of the day, and clearly oppressive to Republicans to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
So, because I happen to be a Democrat, it's unfair to post the news of the day, and clearly oppressive to Republicans to do so.

:lolhitting

Like I said, this thread is the chance to crap all over the GOP, just in a narrower respect than the Dem's only thread. It is a completely obvious attempt at doing so. The next time you would post "good" GOP news of the day, would be the first time. And that is the whole point of this thread. You could at least not insult people's intelligence by pretending otherwise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
:lolhitting

Like I said, this thread is the chance to crap all over the GOP, just in a narrower respect than the Dem's only thread. It is a completely obvious attempt at doing so. The next time you would post "good" GOP news of the day, would be the first time. And that is the whole point of this thread. You could at least not insult people's intelligence by pretending otherwise.

You are saying this despite the fact that the thread only became this general topic like 10 posts ago. It is like you are trying to paint one party the victim before anything has even been said.

You want something other than a cat box, do something about it. Post something good. Make conversation. Ignore the one-liners.

I apologize for breaking my own rule of posting polls from this far out and a national poll to boot (since there's no national primary) but that's a big shift. Rasmussen has their first post-Perry announcement national poll out, and Perry received a very large announcement bump.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Republican Primary voters, taken Monday night, finds Perry with 29% support. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who ran unsuccessfully for the GOP presidential nomination in 2008, earns 18% of the vote, while Bachmann, the Minnesota congresswoman who won the high-profile Ames Straw Poll in Iowa on Saturday, picks up 13%.

Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who was a close second to Bachmann on Saturday, has the support of nine percent (9%) of Likely Primary Voters, followed by Georgia businessman Herman Cain at six percent (6%) and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with five percent (5%). Rick Santorum, former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania, and ex-Utah Governor Jon Huntsman each get one percent (1%) support, while Michigan Congressman Thaddeus McCotter comes in statistically at zero.

Sixteen percent (16%) of primary voters remain undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Still, this marks a significant jump in support for Perry, who officially entered the race on Saturday although his candidacy had been rumored for weeks. Just over two weeks ago, a survey of likely primary voters found Romney with 22% support, closely followed by Perry at 18% and Bachman with 16% of the vote.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
"change" =/= accusing the fed chair of treason and implying he'd face violence if he came to Texas.

Try not to come back with some snide retort, but aren't we jumping to conclusions a bit there? Since when does this imply violence?

I don’t know what y’all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas

That can mean an awful lot of different things and you are jumping to the conclusion that it equals violence. I honestly haven't made up my mind on who I would vote for. So, don't consider this a backing of Perry.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Try not to come back with some snide retort, but aren't we jumping to conclusions a bit there? Since when does this imply violence?

That can mean an awful lot of different things and you are jumping to the conclusion that it equals violence. I honestly haven't made up my mind on who I would vote for. So, don't consider this a backing of Perry.

you're right.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
you're right.

Then what did he mean by this?

I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I mean, it clearly sounds bad but it's very vague. That could be anything from tarring and feathering him to booing him like Thome when he comes to Cleveland.

Treason is one of the worst things you can do towards your country. He's saying this man committed treason so I wouldn't rule out that he implied violence.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Treason is one of the worst things you can do towards your country. He's saying this man committed treason so I wouldn't rule out that he implied violence.

Didn't he more correctly say that doing it any more would be treasonous, not that having done so already was?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Didn't he more correctly say that doing it any more would be treasonous, not that having done so already was?

He said that doing it again would be "nearly" treasonous. He didn't say it was treasonous what he already did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I mean, it clearly sounds bad but it's very vague. That could be anything from tarring and feathering him to booing him like Thome when he comes to Cleveland.

Right, he's explicitly saying he'll be treated badly, but badly doesn't have to be defined as violent.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Equal in what? It's the same action with the same intent. The message doesn't matter.

I'm just going to go ahead and disagree that the actual rhetoric used, in this case calling the actions of the fed "nearly treasonous," doesn't matter. Not all political speech is equally benign and equally malicious.

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia. “Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.” So he wants to shoot people who have knifes! What else could he mean!!!!