witesoxfan

Relationship Advice Thread

This is a really shitty story for me and I am really freaking out about it. Personal... but what the hell I've known alot of you through here since I was 17.

This girl and I have only a "platonic" relationship. She barely knows anything about me and vice versa. Well 7 weeks ago I was drunk and I trusted her when she told me she was on birth control. Obviously I know that it's not guaranteed but nothing happened prior so I gave it a shot again.. unprotected. I rarely do it, but I have in the past every blue moon and so far so good. Yes I know I realize this was a stupid, rookie mistake. Well... she just told me she's 7 weeks pregnant right in line with the day. We talked previously about abortion since neither of us want kids (her parents are also for it) but now she's having mixed feelings which is understandable with her hormones right now. 

She doesn't know where I live, where I work and even what my last name is. But... I have a guilty conscience to not just forget about it in the back of my mind if say... she keeps it. Guys... what should I do? I do not want a kid at all and at first she didn't. But now being so undecided has me freaking out plus she said the different methods of abortion she is allergic to (the anesthesia for surgery and something in the pill). Can't eat, can't sleep and haven't told anyone but one of my best friends about it. I just need a piece of mind about this one way or the other. 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

This is a really shitty story for me and I am really freaking out about it. Personal... but what the hell I've known alot of you through here since I was 17.

This girl and I have only a "platonic" relationship. She barely knows anything about me and vice versa. Well 7 weeks ago I was drunk and I trusted her when she told me she was on birth control. Obviously I know that it's not guaranteed but nothing happened prior so I gave it a shot again.. unprotected. I rarely do it, but I have in the past every blue moon and so far so good. Yes I know I realize this was a stupid, rookie mistake. Well... she just told me she's 7 weeks pregnant right in line with the day. We talked previously about abortion since neither of us want kids (her parents are also for it) but now she's having mixed feelings which is understandable with her hormones right now. 

She doesn't know where I live, where I work and even what my last name is. But... I have a guilty conscience to not just forget about it in the back of my mind if say... she keeps it. Guys... what should I do? I do not want a kid at all and at first she didn't. But now being so undecided has me freaking out plus she said the different methods of abortion she is allergic to (the anesthesia for surgery and something in the pill). Can't eat, can't sleep and haven't told anyone but one of my best friends about it. I just need a piece of mind about this one way or the other. 

Well, I'll skip the lecture about the "I'm sure it will be fine, I haven't gotten anyone knocked up yet!" attitude you had and skip straight to the idea of abortion.

I think you should absolutely keep firm that you want her to have an abortion, and as much as it is her decision, it's also your life too, and you really don't have an option to just walk away, both legally and emotionally (assuming you're a normal rational person). The longer she waits, the less likely she is going to want to do it and the more guilty she might feel about it since it sounds like she currently has some guilt about it. It's obviously easier for you, and especially me, to say, but obviously don't bully her in to it either. It's not an easy decision, but it sounds like you and her parents and her at least at one point felt like it was the right decision, so I would keep going down that path, especially since you guys seem to barely even know each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And as a Plan B (no pun intended), at least talk to her about adoption. That might at least be a good compromise for the two of you, and one that shouldn't leave anyone feeling guilty. But I wouldn't really bring up adoption until she is completely past the idea of an abortion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think you should absolutely keep firm that you want her to have an abortion, and as much as it is her decision, it's also your life too, and you really don't have an option to just walk away, both legally and emotionally (assuming you're a normal rational person). The longer she waits, the less likely she is going to want to do it and the more guilty she might feel about it since it sounds like she currently has some guilt about it. It's obviously easier for you, and especially me, to say, but obviously don't bully her in to it either. It's not an easy decision, but it sounds like you and her parents and her at least at one point felt like it was the right decision, so I would keep going down that path, especially since you guys seem to barely even know each other.

Thanks Joe. The crazy part about it is an old friend of mine did this to a girl that I knew in elementary school (they met in high school) and when he did it, he completely left her and to this day has never made an attempt since when you ask him.. he'll tell you he doesn't have any kids and here she is not giving a damn about him either and raising her kid. And back then I never understood his position on why he did that when they at least were dating.... now I know he wasn't ready at all. It just sucks that one dumb decision can be a complete 180 on my life.

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And as a Plan B (no pun intended), at least talk to her about adoption. That might at least be a good compromise for the two of you, and one that shouldn't leave anyone feeling guilty. But I wouldn't really bring up adoption until she is completely past the idea of an abortion.

I would agree this is the best route. Stick to the first decision as long ss possible, if it doesn't happen discuss the adoption. You can't force it either esppecially in light of the type of relationship here.

The big question to ask is did she change her mind about the abortion because she wants to raise the kid or just because she doesn't like the idea of the procedure. That will Safeway into the adoption talk.

This situation is brutal.  I would let her know firmly that you have no intention of raising a kid at this point in your life.  It's ultimately her decision but you need to be clear so she can count the costs.

• Thanks 1

Well after talking it over, she's firm that she wants to keep it but she wants nothing to do with me and I want nothing to do with her (we borderline hate each other). She doesn't know where I live, where I work, last name, etc and she said she wants to go to court with me to give up my parental rights which I'm all for. Do you guys think this is the right approach? Should I change my number (which I'm probably going to do) so she can't track me through that just in case? 

I also wanna thank a couple of posters who have PM'd me through this ordeal. You know who you are and it meant so much to me. Thanks guys. 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Well after talking it over, she's firm that she wants to keep it but she wants nothing to do with me and I want nothing to do with her (we borderline hate each other). She doesn't know where I live, where I work, last name, etc and she said she wants to go to court with me to give up my parental rights which I'm all for. Do you guys think this is the right approach? Should I change my number (which I'm probably going to do) so she can't track me through that just in case? 

I also wanna thank a couple of posters who have PM'd me through this ordeal. You know who you are and it meant so much to me. Thanks guys. 

If you give up your parental rights, does that mean you are no longer liable for child support? If so, then I guess that's not a terrible outcome if she really doesn't want you to be a part of her life or the child's, then it shouldn't really affect your conscience much if you also don't want to be a part of her life. 

As far as changing your number so she can't track you....well, once you go to court, I would imagine she will have your full name. And even if you guys have ZERO mutual friends, she can probably find you on social media/FB. So I don't think changing your number will do much, especially when you can just block her number instead.  And maybe even proactively block her from your social media too (She can still find you if she really wanted to by just making new accounts or googling).

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

As far as changing your number so she can't track you....well, once you go to court, I would imagine she will have your full name. And even if you guys have ZERO mutual friends, she can probably find you on social media/FB. So I don't think changing your number will do much, especially when you can just block her number instead.  And maybe even proactively block her from your social media too (She can still find you if she really wanted to by just making new accounts or googling).

I don't have any social media.. never have. I was going to do it just in case, but if she goes through with this like she says, it won't matter anyways because I'm not liable (you are correct). I'm still gonna do it though after.

The big thing here is deciding whether you can handle knowing you have a child alive and growing up somewhere that's a part of you?  Would you still not feel responsible at all, even if you signed all parental rights away? Would you feel differently if the child was to be adopted?

It's all just theoretical now, but that completely changes after birth.

My gf became pregnant about 3 months into our relationship and in China you basically have to get married or the child doesn't even have the right to a government/public education.  But I was in my 40s and really wanted to have a child, you probably are at a different age and also your connection to the woman and raising a child together seems impossible or inconceivable.

I do think instead of running the other direction that you should keep your options more open about being a part of your future child's life, because you might end up regretting taking such an arm's length.stance in the future.  With children, you have to think more with your heart than brain...imagine you were born to parents in this situation, how would you feel, what questions you'd ask and whether you would still try to meet your biological father.  Things seem almost adversarial right now because of the financial side of things, but you need to think how you will reflect on.everything that's going on today ten or fifteen years into the future, especially if you don't get married or have children with someone else.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Ummm yet you guys were boinking?

Kids these days...

Sorry to make light of your situation but as long as you both know were you stand and make sure it sticks legally, it sounds like you both are getting what you want.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I don't know where you stand financially, but you might want to think about consulting a lawyer that specializes in family law.  So if you do go to court you can be sure there are no surprises and everything happens the way you are expecting it to.

It might cost you some cash now, but can't put a price on piece of mind and it prevent any surprises down the line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't know where you stand financially, but you might want to think about consulting a lawyer that specializes in family law.  So if you do go to court you can be sure there are no surprises and everything happens the way you are expecting it to.

It might cost you some cash now, but can't put a price on piece of mind and it prevent any surprises down the line.

For real. If you're going down this road, make sure everything is taken care so nothing comes back around later. Money well spent. 

• Like 1

Also think about the fact that even if you sign over your rights, the kid may seek you out someday down the road. Sometimes it's nice to know family history, lineage, genetics, medical conditions that may be hereditary, etc...

22 hours ago, SoxAce said:

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I don't have any social media.. never have. I was going to do it just in case, but if she goes through with this like she says, it won't matter anyways because I'm not liable (you are correct). I'm still gonna do it though after.

Get a lawyer. This area of law is really tricky. 

IF this is in IL, this is my non legal suggestion:

THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, THIS IS MERELY AN OPINION. 

In IL there is no presumption of paternity. In order for you or anyone to become the "father" you would either a) need to sign a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity or b) be found to be the father by court order. Signing something makes no sense. If she doesnt want you involved and you dont want to be involved, I would do nothing. Going to court could go sideways. Child support isnt for the mother, it is for the child. Courts do not always let a parent waive their childs right to financial support. 

I have no idea what this girl has in terms of money, but be extremely careful. 

id suggest reading this:

https://www.dupagefamilylawattorneys.com/dupagedivorceblog/terminating-parental-rights-in-illinois

Specifically:

The Adoption Act states that a parental unfitness claim must be made in order for a court to terminate a parent’s rights. For an absent parent, the grounds for unfitness include abandonment, abandonment of a newborn at a hospital, abandonment in any setting where it is inferred that he or she meant to relinquish parental rights, failure to keep a degree of interest in a child, desertion of a child, failing to visit or communicate with a child for at least one year, failing to make a good faith effort to pay for a child’s expenses, or failing to provide reasonable support for a child.

It is important to note that typically, even if the court finds that one parent is unfit, an Illinois judge is not likely to terminate parental rights unless another person is prepared to adopt the child. This ensures that two people are providing for the welfare of the child, and the potential adoptive parent must meet the qualifications of the law. In addition, termination through a juvenile case is rare because the state is the only party allowed to bring that type of case to court.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. CONSULT AN ATTORNEY

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I was going to say, Ace, I agree, you are probably going to need a lawyer. You really are. I wish you well and know you will make the right choices. Feel free to PM me if you seek any opinions of mine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I contacted Dad's rights and have an appointment with them on Wednesday. I'll see what they say on the matter and go from there. @Soxbadger you mind PMing me?

Edited by SoxAce

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Thanks everyone. I contacted Dad's rights and have an appointment with them on Wednesday. I'll see what they say on the matter and go from there. @Soxbadger you mind PMing me?

Sure as long as its about OOTP :D

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Sure as long as its about OOTP :D

Would help then if your cleared out your inbox. :lol:

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Would help then if your cleared out your inbox. :lol:

guess i can delete those fantasy baseball ones from 14 years ago. 

• Haha 1

Ok, so can I resubmit my advice politely? You didn’t just take out the mean parts, you took out everything.

@SoxAce, don’t abandon your child. Take responsibility for what happened. You might not want to be a dad, but you made a mistake and that’s the result, especially since she plans on keeping him/her. Work to rebuild that relationship however you can and be there for the kid in any way you can. Whether you realize it or not, that kid is going to think about you and wonder why you’re not there. It was a constant thought for my wife (somewhat different situation, but similar enough), and when I deal with troubled kids at my school, you’d be shocked at how often the lack of a father figure comes up. I’ve even heard kids explain their poor behavior themselves by pointing out that it might be different if they had dads. Don’t let that be your child. You’ll regret it a lot more down the road if you do.

Sorry that I came off as harsh last night, but I’ve seen how this plays out further on. With everyone focusing on how you should protect yourself, I feel obliged to point out a different path. Please consider it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Sir said:

Ok, so can I resubmit my advice politely? You didn’t just take out the mean parts, you took out everything.

@SoxAce, don’t abandon your child. Take responsibility for what happened. You might not want to be a dad, but you made a mistake and that’s the result, especially since she plans on keeping him/her. Work to rebuild that relationship however you can and be there for the kid in any way you can. Whether you realize it or not, that kid is going to think about you and wonder why you’re not there. It was a constant thought for my wife (somewhat different situation, but similar enough), and when I deal with troubled kids at my school, you’d be shocked at how often the lack of a father figure comes up. I’ve even heard kids explain their poor behavior themselves by pointing out that it might be different if they had dads. Don’t let that be your child. You’ll regret it a lot more down the road if you do.

Sorry that I came off as harsh last night, but I’ve seen how this plays out further on. With everyone focusing on how you should protect yourself, I feel obliged to point out a different path. Please consider it.

The kid has yet to be born, let alone be raised without a father. Plenty of time for this girl to find a nice guy and marry him.

She doesn't want him in her or the baby's life. Sure, he can try and patch things up if that's what he wants, but ultimately it's not his decision to be in the kid's life if he respects the woman's wishes. 

• Like 1

What happened at your Wednesday meeting? The key is how YOU feel about having a child. She made it clear that she doesn't want you involved at all. If you can live with that, and letting your child be raised by others, it seems cut and dried. Someday perhaps the child will want to meet you and you can decide if you want that. In the interim, if you don't really want to help raise your child (or would be OK with mom and her family raising the child without you), it seems cut and dried. I'm glad you are seeing a lawyer because at some point mom might want you to foot half the bill. As we all know, it's expensive to raise a human being (food, clothing, shelter, medical). Best wishes. Glad u are seeing an attorney and talking to badger. Only you can decide how you will handle this. Nobody can tell you what to do. 

BTW, will you tell your mom, dad, brothers, sisters, friends bout this?

Edited by greg775

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The kid has yet to be born, let alone be raised without a father. Plenty of time for this girl to find a nice guy and marry him.

She doesn't want him in her or the baby's life. Sure, he can try and patch things up if that's what he wants, but ultimately it's not his decision to be in the kid's life if he respects the woman's wishes. 

I’m gonna sound like a dinosaur, but whatever. Men don’t just leave things up to fate. My wife is beautiful and my kids rock; if I simply walked out, they’d probably find someone else. Yet it’d be a total and unforgivable abdication of my duties as a man (as an aside, I’d rather be dead than be without my family). That kid isn’t some other man’s responsibility. He/she is his.

We never heard why they hate each other. I won’t speculate. Maybe it’s an absolute and unchanging no from this woman, but I feel like he should try. He could send gifts or checks to show support. He could write letters to his child to let the kid know that he thinks about him/her. It’d be much better than just hiding from this and acting like it never happened.