I need some law help

kjshoe04

Hey guys for class I'm supposed to either talk to a lawyer or call a law office to find the answers to this so I figured I'd ask the lawyers of soxtalk to help me out.

Here's what I need to know.

find what type of entities (business organizations) you can file in the state of Illinois and what it costs... also what it costs if you hire an attorney to do it... (Filling Fees, Filling requirements)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Hey guys for class I'm supposed to either talk to a lawyer or call a law office to find the answers to this so I figured I'd ask the lawyers of soxtalk to help me out.

find what type of entities (business organizations) you can file in the state of Illinois and what it costs... also what it costs if you hire an attorney to do it... (Filling Fees, Filling requirements)

There might be some sort of information on www.findlaw.com. Not sure if that will give you all that you need but it was helpful for my business law class.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)

Will you be in the City for class soon?

My best advice would be to go to the Sec of State's Office and just ask them for all their forms.

My stepfather, who is an atty, used to always make me go in there before class and file Limited Partnerships for him and what not. They can give you all kinds of info there.

And as jenks said, check the website.

Hi,

I have some experience doing this as a law clerk. I organized many LLC's and Corporations. Generally, I believe Illinois only requires registration of LLC/LLP's and corporations. At the firm I used to work at I believe we charged $500 (+ filing fee cost) for organizing the LLC/Corp and acting as the registerd agent for a year. It is a really basic process to incorporate a buisness or LLC but it is absolutley vital for security. Every year a LLC/Corp must file an anual registration. In Ill it is $350 for an LLC and around $100 for a corp based on issued shares and par value.

Once again, I was a law clerk when I did this, and it has been a year since i took business organizations, so you might want to speak to an attorney. The ciberdrive site is great though.

Secretary of state business services :D

Publications and forms

The entities you can form in Illinois are:

LLC, Corp, NFP, LLP

What it costs for an attorney depends.

My firm has a flat rate for LLC, CORP and NFP.

LLC and CORP cost the same flat rate even though the filing fee for Corp is like $150 and the LLC is $500 ($100 for expedited services which means theyll do it over night)

NFP costs about $25 (or maybe 50 im not looking at the site cause im lazy) to form with the state, but to actually be a 501c3 with the IRS you need to file form 1023, which has different costs depending on how much money the NFP brings in.

NFP costs about 2x more than the other 2 as you have not to only form the entity, but also need IRS approval.

Ive never formed a LLP, not many people use them because their only usefulness is that the limited partner remains undisclosed.