'Snowmageddon' blankets Mid-Atlantic in heavy snow

knightni

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2+ feet of snow from one storm is a lot of snow no matter where it is. The President's aid making a quip saying that the weather was like an April day in Chicago is funny but far from accurate. I think Chicago averages around 40" of snow a year. The lake snow belts are the places that routinely get hammered, and 2+ feet of snow there would not as big a deal of course. Regardless, treacherous travel conditions will result and everything slows down.

I lived in Juneau, AK for over two years, and I saw plenty of snow. The last winter I was there there was over 3 feet of snow on the ground twice. Once there was over 4 feet on the ground. It was funny how people almost shrugged it off as if it was nothing. But, there was only one major storm that dropped about 20" at once. That slowed things down.

Having lived in Baltimore for about 2 years as well, I know how even 3" cripples that area. They just don't have the snow removal capacity that places like Chicago do. Plus, people who live there freak out like it's a blizzard. I couldn't imagine what it was like to see 2+ feet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
So it sounds like we are getting ours over a couple of days... Predictions are for about the same amount of snow, just spread over two days or so, and a bunch of blowing and drifting on top of it.

I hope we don't get let down like the January storm when they were predicting 12+ inches and we only got about 6". But, I'm one of those twisted folks who loves snow.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Makes those global warming fools look stupid now.

Well now they're backpedaling and calling it "global climate change". That was they can explain off the blizzards, hard freezes, etc. So, as soon as it snows in Cuba they'll say, "We told you so." Then we can say, "No, Roland Emmerich told us so."

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
2+ feet of snow from one storm is a lot of snow no matter where it is. The President's aid making a quip saying that the weather was like an April day in Chicago is funny but far from accurate. I think Chicago averages around 40" of snow a year. The lake snow belts are the places that routinely get hammered, and 2+ feet of snow there would not as big a deal of course. Regardless, treacherous travel conditions will result and everything slows down.

I lived in Juneau, AK for over two years, and I saw plenty of snow. The last winter I was there there was over 3 feet of snow on the ground twice. Once there was over 4 feet on the ground. It was funny how people almost shrugged it off as if it was nothing. But, there was only one major storm that dropped about 20" at once. That slowed things down.

Having lived in Baltimore for about 2 years as well, I know how even 3" cripples that area. They just don't have the snow removal capacity that places like Chicago do. Plus, people who live there freak out like it's a blizzard. I couldn't imagine what it was like to see 2+ feet.

They're perfectly capable of handling 3" of snow removal, they're just p*****s.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Well now they're backpedaling and calling it "global climate change". That was they can explain off the blizzards, hard freezes, etc. So, as soon as it snows in Cuba they'll say, "We told you so." Then we can say, "No, Roland Emmerich told us so."

The term "climate change" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
What do I think it means? ;)

That they (I hate saying "they" since it's not one group of people) changed the definition because they didn't want to be wrong and get called out. The term "global warming" was never accurate and is misleading. Balta could explain that much better than I could

From Wikipedia:

Climate change is a change in the statistical distribution of weather over periods of time that range from decades to millions of years. It can be a change in the average weather or a change in the distribution of weather events around an average (for example, greater or fewer extreme weather events). Climate change may be limited to a specific region, or may occur across the whole Earth. It can be caused by recurring, often cyclical climate patterns such as El Niño-Southern Oscillation, or come in the form of more singular events such as the Dust Bowl.[1]

In recent usage, especially in the context of environmental policy, climate change usually refers to changes in modern climate. It may be qualified as anthropogenic climate change, more generally known as "global warming" or "anthropogenic global warming" (AGW).

This is what I was driving at, but in doing so I was actually just being a smartass.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
That they (I hate saying "they" since it's not one group of people) changed the definition because they didn't want to be wrong and get called out. The term "global warming" was never accurate and is misleading. Balta could explain that much better than I could

I understand.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
The term "global warming" was never accurate and is misleading. Balta could explain that much better than I could

The simple version of why is that "Global warming" as a phrase implies that the entire planet warms by an equal amount. This is not the case. With what we're doing currently, some areas warm an awful lot (the poles shoot upwards in temperature), some areas warm mildly, and some areas either warm not at all or even cool off (i.e. the Eastern U.S. and Western Europe).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
The simple version of why is that "Global warming" as a phrase implies that the entire planet warms by an equal amount. This is not the case. With what we're doing currently, some areas warm an awful lot (the poles shoot upwards in temperature), some areas warm mildly, and some areas either warm not at all or even cool off (i.e. the Eastern U.S. and Western Europe).

That makes sense. I never bought into the idea that the planet as a whole was warming. I know there is the concern about the poles and the potential resulting ice pack melting. The history of climatology has shown us that climate changes have been cyclical. You can look at one particular area and see examples. Look at the history of snowy winters and hot summers for Chicago. If next year we only get 15" inches of snow, and there are days in January in the 60s, it doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
That makes sense. I never bought into the idea that the planet as a whole was warming. I know there is the concern about the poles and the potential resulting ice pack melting. The history of climatology has shown us that climate changes have been cyclical. You can look at one particular area and see examples. Look at the history of snowy winters and hot summers for Chicago. If next year we only get 15" inches of snow, and there are days in January in the 60s, it doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.

Unless the Cubs had already won the World Series the preceding October. Then 15" of snow should be takenas yet anothr sign of the pending Apocalypse.

So tomorrow is forecast for another 10-20 inches of snow tomorrow (it will be the same storm that hits the Midwest apparently). If the last 2 storms are any indication, by about 1 pm tomorrow they'll upgrade it to 15-22 inches and then it will be about 2 more feet. So... 50 inches in about 4 days... yeah. Just not things that happen every year. This is getting ridiculous