Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
White Sox in too?

Tigers and White Sox negotiating with Johnny Damon at levels that have eliminated the Atlanta Braves

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/8977380156

Looks like sox management is finally getting their head out of their ass with the rotating DH, especially when you can do it with a much better hitter in Damon than Kotsay/Jones.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Most Tigers fans think the Granderson and Jackson trades were a baseball decision and not financially motivated. It looks like they are right after Valverde and Damon.

It's shockingly illogical if that's the case. Come on KW, bring it home. i want to be optimistic again.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/8977380156

Looks like sox management is finally getting their head out of their ass with the rotating DH, especially when you can do it with a much better hitter in Damon than Kotsay/Jones.

Like I've said before, its a FACT they have been chatting about Damon a good amount of time in the offseason. His demands have only recently come down.

QUOTE (everafan @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
If the Tiger's offer really is $14M/ 2 yrs the Sox will not touch that.

Yeah, no way this happens and at anywhere near those terms -it shouldn't.

It does confirm to all that KW is never done and he knows the current lineup may not be enough.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Ozzie Guillen JR is his father's son. He's also about as good at spelling as i am.

"Johny Damon? Don't see him fitting in our lineup. I hope these are just rumors on the internet." http://twitter.com/oguillenjr/status/8978312448

How the hell wouldn't Damon fit Guillen's lineup. He does a lot of things that Ozzie wants from his hitters.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
How the hell wouldn't Damon fit Guillen's lineup. He does a lot of things that Ozzie wants from his hitters.

Son is about as dumb as his father in baseball decisions. Luckally, at least Ozzie knows the game. If this means Andruw Jones sucks it up in ST, we can outright release him.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)

Yeup and having Damon in front of Becks compared to Pierre in front of Gordo will make a HUGE difference.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
It another issue to trade your best, young player claiming financial inflexibility and then sign Jose Valverde and Damon to deals \ during the offseason.

Again, they signed Valverde for a million/yr over what the Angels paid Rodney. They didn't anticipate these quality players being available at the values. It's not just about what moves you've made in the past - they improved in the closer position, got some very nice prospects back for Jackson and Granderson, and can possibly add Damon for the same amount of money? I don't think it's that bad of a plan, honestly.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Yeup and having Damon in front of Becks compared to Pierre in front of Gordo will make a HUGE difference.

Like that's going to happen anytime soon. Pierre is the lead-off hitter for 150+ games this season. And Vizquel is the #2 for many of those.

Still, Damon makes our lineup a whole lot better no matter where you pencil him in at. Too bad the Sox aren't going to match Detroit.

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Any guesses as to what his numbers would be with the Sox? I'm thinking .280/.350/20hr/65rbi

All of those numbers are consistent with his recent year's performance save 1; the HR number. That 24 HR he put up last year was by being a Yankee Stadium hitter. He hit 7 HR on the Road and 14 at Yankee Stadium. I don't think he touches 20+ HR outside of that stadium.