Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
That would be unlikely, but not as unlikely as a manager boarding a plane for a 7-game roadtrip without a healthy backup IF on the roster.

It's also quite possible that Jones gets DFA'd at some point during the season. If he's not producing or isn't healthy, dumping him would free up a roster spot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
hell of an offseason kenny

Over the past 6 months, Kenny has added Peavy, Rios, Pierre, Putz, Teahen, Jones, and Vizquel. I would've preferred Orlando Hudson over Teahen/Vziquel, but it's difficult for me to find much fault with the rest of those additions. Their payroll is currently just under $100M and they're in the lower half of MLB in attendance, so I'm not sure what else you want him to do.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
It's also quite possible that Jones gets DFA'd at some point during the season. If he's not producing or isn't healthy, dumping him would free up a roster spot.

Over the past 6 months, Kenny has added Peavy, Rios, Pierre, Putz, Teahen, Jones, and Vizquel. I would've preferred Orlando Hudson over Teahen/Vziquel, but it's difficult for me to find much fault with the rest of those additions. Their payroll is currently over $100M and they're in the lower half of MLB in attendance, so I'm not sure what else you want him to do.

Of those though, Peavy and Rios were acquired midseason, while the others are fairly mediocre/bad. His comment was about the offseason, which has not gone well for KW, especially if he ends up with Jones/Kotsay at DH.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Over the past 6 months, Kenny has added Peavy, Rios, Pierre, Putz, Teahen, Jones, and Vizquel. I would've preferred Orlando Hudson over Teahen/Vziquel, but it's difficult for me to find much fault with the rest of those additions. Their payroll is currently just under $100M and they're in the lower half of MLB in attendance, so I'm not sure what else you want him to do.

Peavy and Rios were midseason pickups. They should not be used in any objective look at the offseason moves. The rest of the names don't instill anything major in me. In fact, there's a decent chance that the production of guys like Vizquel and Jones could be replicated with in-house options. Say, Nix and Flowers. I do, however, like the Teahen and Putz moves a lot.

Edited by Thunderbolt

The frustrating part of "ending up with Kotsay/Jones" as the DH is the fact that they chose to do this. KW could have signed Thome...easily. He could be actually pursuing Damon. He could still sign one of the few names left out there. But he's bending to Ozzie's plan of a rotating DH. They've had time and options, and there is still time and a few options left. However, I think what we see is what we're going to get.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Of those though, Peavy and Rios were acquired midseason, while the others are fairly mediocre/bad. His comment was about the offseason, which has not gone well for KW, especially if he ends up with Jones/Kotsay at DH.

"The offseason" is affected by the s***-tons of money that were spent on an elite starting pitcher and a potential five-tool CF this past summer. I thought that would be obvious, but apparently not. Blaming a GM for a "bad offseason" when his team went into it with an nearly maxed-out payroll is ridiculous.

Money doesn't grow on trees. You can't run up a $100M payroll with a below-average attendance and expect the GM throw another $7M at Johnny Damon or some other over-priced FA. It's a good thing that Soxtalk didn't exist back in the late '90s, when the Sox were *truly* a bunch of cheap-asses who didn't bother to put together a competitive team.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
The frustrating part of "ending up with Kotsay/Jones" as the DH is the fact that they chose to do this. KW could have signed Thome...easily. He could be actually pursuing Damon. He could still sign one of the few names left out there. But he's bending to Ozzie's plan of a rotating DH. They've had time and options, and there is still time and a few options left. However, I think what we see is what we're going to get.

I look forward to vastly overpaying for a bat midseason when this rotating Dh things fails to work as expected.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
Peavy and Rios were midseason pickups. They should not be used in any objective look at the offseason moves. The rest of the names don't instill anything major in me. In fact, there's a decent chance that the production of guys like Vizquel and Jones could be replicated with in-house options. Say, Nix and Flowers. I do, however, like the Teahen and Putz moves a lot.

I agree with Teahan and Putz. The Vizquel and Jones moves are huge question marks, but cheap ones. If nothing else, some veteran presence was added. One or more of the questions marks (Jones/Vizquel/Kotsay) will most likely not pan out. Let's just hope the failure happens early so KW can acquire someone mid-season...and then slap Ozzie in the back of the head.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
"The offseason" is affected by the s***-tons of money that were spent on an elite starting pitcher and a potential five-tool CF in July and August of last year. I thought that would be obvious, but apparently not. Blaming a GM for a "bad offseason" when his team went into it with an nearly maxed-out payroll is ridiculous.

No, but i can blame a GM for going into a season with a GAPING HOLE in his lineup. I can also question the logic of a GM for failing to address these issues AFTER obtaining a top of the line starter and an above-average OF, and thereafter choosing not to make any significant upgrades to the team. We can't be content writing off problems with last years victories. I'm not willing to say we got two good guys last year so we should say, "f*** it," and rest on our laurels. Last year is last year. We have problems going into this year that can't be ignored, by saying we made smart moves the year before.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Peavy and Rios were midseason pickups. They should not be used in any objective look at the offseason moves.

Of course they should, as they obviously affect what can be spent in the off-season. Did you honestly expect Kenny to add $25M in payroll after that spending spree?

The rest of the names don't instill anything major in me. In fact, there's a decent chance that the production of guys like Vizquel and Jones could be replicated with in-house options. Say, Nix and Flowers. I do, however, like the Teahen and Putz moves a lot.

Agreed about Vizquel, Jones, and Putz. If Putz is healthy, he's going to be effective. I'm not so high on Teahen (nice player and all, but little upside).

We're paying Mark Kotsay as much money as the Twins are paying Jim Thome. A guy that would have solved these problems, and rid me of my concerns. 1.5 million bucks, that's all that it would have cost. That's chump change in the pocket of Mr. Reinsdorf. If 1.5 million bucks proves to be the difference between us winning the divison, and us failing to do so. I am going to be furious. We need this Damon signing like crazy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
We're paying Mark Kotsay as much money as the Twins are paying Jim Thome. A guy that would have solved these problems, and rid me of my concerns. 1.5 million bucks, that's all that it would have cost. That's chump change in the pocket of Mr. Reinsdorf. If 1.5 million bucks proves to be the difference between us winning the divison, and us failing to do so. I am going to be furious. We need this Damon signing like crazy.

And then we can blame Brian Anderson for bringing us Mark Kotsay, making Ozzie fall in love with him.

I do have to say though, Kotsay hit pretty well with us last season, it probably will not continue, but at least it's something to be optimistic about.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
No, but i can blame a GM for going into a season with a GAPING HOLE in his lineup. I can also question the logic of a GM for failing to address these issues AFTER obtaining a top of the line starter and an above-average OF, and thereafter choosing not to make any significant upgrades to the team. We can't be content writing off problems with last years victories. I'm not willing to say we got two good guys last year so we should say, "f*** it," and rest on our laurels. Last year is last year.

The problem with that logic is that the Sox payroll dictates that they can't add much more.

What "gaping hole" is this? DH? I would've liked to have Thome back, but you also need to consider his age-induced declining skills and injury potential.

Look at it this way: The Sox have arguably the best rotation in the majors, a legitimate CF, and replaced Dotel with Putz. Even if that means that they suffer at DH, I still see that as a net gain. And considering how Thome and JD weren't exactly tearing it up in August and September over the past few years, I fail to see how we suddenly have a "gaping hole" in the middle of the lineup. Those two contributed significantly to that hole post-ASB from '07-'09.