Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Damen I think you mean.

There's a Thome street, though I think it's tiny. At least I can only remember seeing it one place, around 5800 N Ridge or so.

There's a Jim Thome Dr. in Bartonville IL (i live about 15 minutes from there), he's from the Peoria area, though most people here are flubs fans

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
I don't think the golf thing has much to do with anything. AJ and Damon have known each other for a long time I believe they went to the same HS and Hawk has said numerous times he saw both play in HS.

Yeah, but A.J. is a huge cheerleader for the franchise, and if Hawk was playing with him too? How many people golf with the courtihg teams' broadcaster? Especially, a broadcaster with a long history for the team in question

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
Yeah, but A.J. is a huge cheerleader for the franchise, and if Hawk was playing with him too? How many people golf with the courtihg teams' broadcaster? Especially, a broadcaster with a long history for the team in question

I imagine stuff like this happens a lot, it's just the situation that's bringing it out. I think all their offseason homes are in the same area.

At this point I would love if Damon signed with the Sox, I think he can add a lot, and as I said earlier, I think the longer it goes the Sox chances increase because the market is coming back to their offer, I just see him ending up with the Tigers. KW hasn't moved on another bat all offseason, and I don't think Damon is the guy he was/is sitting around waiting for. At this point I think he wants to keep flexibility and trade for a bat during the season.

Weren't JR and Randy Johnson neighbors and got along well, but Randy still didn't want much to do with the White Sox.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:41 AM)
I wonder what source Rosenthal got his initial (the wrong one) report from about the Sox making a second offer.

The denial on the 2nd offer could also be a Sox plant that doesn't want word leaked to the Tigers, so the money wouldn't be upped.

Yet if there was an increase, you could bet Boras would trumpet it loud and clear to get the Tigers to up their offer.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Damen I think you mean.

There's a Thome street, though I think it's tiny. At least I can only remember seeing it one place, around 5800 N Ridge or so.

Thome ran right next to my grade school. About 6200 N., everybody pronounced it like it rhymed with home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
This would be a nice final piece of a good 6+ months of retooling. Would hate to go into the season having improved in so many areas, only to take a gigantic step back at DH.

We need to make another move to counter the Twins solid off-season moves. Damon gives this team a still-great player who will fit Ozzie's mold of versatility. I hope A.J. and Hawk worked their magic.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Damen I think you mean.

theres also a Father Mackowiak Drive behind a church (can't remember the name...st albert the great maybe?) right off of central not far from Rob Mackowiak's home town of Oak Lawn...has to be named after relative

As much as I would love Damon to sign here, I'm not counting on it at all. The money is apparently not close between the teams and if the Sox aren't willing to up their offer I don't expect him to sign here. How often do players actually accept the lesser offer when it is apparently significant? Plus, we're dealing with Borass here. It'd be awesome if he signed, but I'll believe it'll actually happen when I see it.

When something finally happens (he signs with the Sox, he signs with the Tigers, he decides to retire and play golf forever), this thread will either explode along with a collective sigh of relief or this thread will slowly die along with many punched computer monitors.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
As much as I would love Damon to sign here, I'm not counting on it at all. The money is apparently not close between the teams and if the Sox aren't willing to up their offer I don't expect him to sign here. How often do players actually accept the lesser offer when it is apparently significant? Plus, we're dealing with Borass here. It'd be awesome if he signed, but I'll believe it'll actually happen when I see it.

I'll say this again - why do people keep thinking that the supposed DET offer rumor is 100% correct? I think we've seen in this case that we can't even know if the DET money is indeed significantly higher. It might not be. If it was, I think he would have signed there by now. Seems a lot more likely to me that the offers are close, and that we have no idea what the numbers actually are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
I'll say this again - why do people keep thinking that the supposed DET offer rumor is 100% correct? I think we've seen in this case that we can't even know if the DET money is indeed significantly higher. It might not be. If it was, I think he would have signed there by now. Seems a lot more likely to me that the offers are close, and that we have no idea what the numbers actually are.

Or he would really prefer to play somewhere else and is giving whatever other teams are also interested every last possible moment to come up with a comparable offer...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)

I'll have to agree with you. If the Tigers are indeed offering 2/$14 million, and the Sox are offering significantly less, Johnny Damon would be a Detroit Tiger already. I would think Damon would prefer a city like Chicago, but it was a difference of $3-$4 million a year, city preference probably wouldn't be a factor.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
I think if JR gets involved, we may see a raise in price.

It has been said that JR recently screwed things up with Doug Collins and Mike D'Antoni... but from what I understand those were situations with their own specific nuances. He obviously got it done getting personally involved in the Ben Wallace thing.

That's because Reinsdorf cares much less about the Bulls than he does the Sox... fortunately and unfortunately.

If JR is involved, he's going to find out how much Damon wants, and he's going to hear that Damon prefers the White Sox to the Tigers, but no person in their right mind would leave a contract twice to three times the size on the table.

Kenny is going to play the "I've always wanted him" card, Jerry's going to ask him how many of these guys are out there, and how many more he needs to sign this offseason (Jones, Vizquel, hell we'll count Peavy), then KW will say "come Onnnnnnnnnnnn."

Sox will sign up Damon at 1 year, 6.25 million today is my best guess.