Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
Or he would really prefer to play somewhere else and is giving whatever other teams are also interested every last possible moment to come up with a comparable offer...

Then his agent wouldn't be Scott Boras. You use Scott Boras as your agent when you want the most money possible, not when you have a list of cities you're not willing to go to.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
Heyman Tweets (Twats?) that JR is now involved in the negotiations with Damon

lets hope this doesnt turn out similar to when JR got his nose in the Doug Collins coaching fiasco

This is the guy who signs the checks. To me this is ideal because it cuts out the middle man, and most likely puts an endgame in sight for this mess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
This is the guy who signs the checks. To me this is ideal because it cuts out the middle man, and most likely puts an endgame in sight for this mess.

If nothing else it shows that the Sox are serious. The question is, what got JR involved? Did he recognize that the team needs this or did KW ask for him to be involved?

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
If nothing else it shows that the Sox are serious. The question is, what got JR involved? Did he recognize that the team needs this or did KW ask for him to be involved?

I am guessing with Borass involved on the other side of the table, it is easier to do this than to keep playing the games in the media.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I am guessing with Borass involved on the other side of the table, it is easier to do this than to keep playing the games in the media.

And right there is why this thread is dragging on and why everyone is getting flustered...this is a classic Scott Boras quasi-public negotiation game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
And right there is why this thread is dragging on and why everyone is getting flustered...this is a classic Scott Boras quasi-public negotiation game.

Yep. All information is coming from Boras. Not a word has been leaked from the Sox or Tigers.

I honestly still don't believe anything that has been uttered. It's all Scott Boras creation. Heyman is his mouthpiece and Rosenthal isn't far behind. It's not coincidence that all the info is coming from them.

It's a shame because those two are otherwise pretty reliable journalists.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Yep. All information is coming from Boras. Not a word has been leaked from the Sox or Tigers.

I honestly still don't believe anything that has been uttered. It's all Scott Boras creation. Heyman is his mouthpiece and Rosenthal isn't far behind. It's not coincidence that all the info is coming from them.

No reason to doubt their reliability now. At least no more reason than at any other time.

Just like any news leaks, regardless of who its coming from, we can probably assume some correct info and some incorrect.

Boras isnt that different from any other forceful agent. He has the big name clients and has happened to be the guy setting the bar high on a few occasions. I'm sure he leaks this and that, but his methods are thought only thought of as more cutthroat just because he seems to have a lot of the league's talent in his clientele.

Negotiate and leak news certain ways...that's pretty much what an agent ...does. Every time their client's looking for work.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
No reason to doubt their reliability now. At least no more reason than at any other time.

Just like any news leaks, regardless of who its coming from, we can probably assume some correct info and some incorrect.

Boras isnt that different from any other forceful agent. He has the big name clients and has happened to be the guy setting the bar high on a few occasions. I'm sure he leaks this and that, but his methods are thought of as more cutthroat just because he seems to have a lot of the league's talent in his clientele.

Not really. He's an entirely different animal. He creates markets for competition that aren't there(Holliday, Texiera, A-Rod, I-Rod). He uses Heyman and Rosenthal because they are respected. Everything he does is calculated.

Some of the biggest reasons the Sox don't deal with him is because his negotiations are dragged out so long, and he manipulates the media and market, and he just uses teams and makes them look bad.

We honestly have no idea what the Sox and Tigers are offering, or if they are really deeply involved, none.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)

Agreed, and Jerry has a much better baseball mind then a basketball one. If this is true and we've tag teamed Damon with Reinsdorf, Hawk, and A.J i think the Sox are far from casual players in this. If anything Damon is making dramatic steps away from the Tigers and towards Chicago.

See, with situations like A-Rod or Teixeira, I find it hard to put all that on an agent. No one forced the buying team to pay that much. They wanted to do it, could do it, and did it. The big spenders in the league bid on these guys. One team won out.

If there's a problem with the system, you change the system. You dont sit there and just expect all the agents to change their way of doing business.

Plus, Teixeira was getting competing offers from BOS, no?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
See, with situations like A-Rod or Teixeira, I find it hard to put all that on an agent. No one forced the buying team to pay that much. They wanted to do it, could do it, and did it. The big spenders in the league bid on these guys. One team won out.

If there's a problem with the system, you change the system. You dont sit there and just expect all the agents to change their way of doing business.

You're right, it's being manipulative and somewhat deceitful, but agents like Boras are just working with the system they have. My proposal would be this: make all contract offers from all teams PUBLIC. How is it fair that agents have all the information (and mis-information) while the other side is left guessing in the dark? If all the offers were public (only official offers obviously, not rumors or negotiations, etc.), then free agency would truly be a free market.

I'm guessing some people would complain that might get a little close to collusion, but it's more fair than the system in place now, where the agent has all the information and the teams have a tiny percentage.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)

You're probably right that A-Rod and Texiera are bad examples. But, lets just look at Detroit. Boras has conned them into excessive contracts for Maggs, Ivan Rodriguez, and Kenny Rodgers when nobody else was competing for those dollars or years. Or what happened with Gagne in Milwaukee. He does this with smaller contracts as much as larger deals. I'm sure it's why the Sox and Tigers are holding firm. Or one of them really isn't involved. They won't speak up to let a rival get a player at a cheaper price.

Edit: My two cents, as if anyone cares, is that the Sox are seriously involved and the Tigers interest has been overstated or Damon has no interest in playing there.

Normally, the Sox wouldn't be hanging around this long. Either way this turns out, I think it will be a huge difference in the future relationship with Boras.

Edited by shakes

The Sox, JR and Boras have a relationship. Boras does not fit the Sox M.O. but as you saw with Jones and how quickly and cheaply he was signed Boras will do what his client wants.

If Damon, and it sounds like his wife, wants to play in Chicago, Boras will not stand in his way.

My feeling is JR is being asked to open his wallet for that guy that he talked about last January that they will increase the budget for. If Damon convinces JR that he is good for the franchise they will pay him.

I like the move in that while not ideal it does give the flexability to the DH thing and adds a winner and MLB hitter.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)

Rosenthal has a ton of sources within the Sox organization though, so he's usually pretty spot on when it comes to these things.