Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
The Giants have Smith and Manningham out for the season, don't they?

Yea, just like the Packers have lost their running game and their TE. It sorta winds up being which player do you trust more with backups all over the place.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
What a f***ing lame ass penalty. Peppers is a speeding bullet and lowered his shoulder to avoid hitting with his helmet. What else can he do?

I'm fully supportive of the NFL suspending people for using their helmet as a weapon on tackles, but there really does need to be a payback. Some of these penalties need to be reviewable. The Pass Interference calls first, and some of these roughing penalties second.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Yea, just like the Packers have lost their running game and their TE. It sorta winds up being which player do you trust more with backups all over the place.

Well, I like Rodgers far more than Manning and I like the Packers' defense much more than the Giants' defense.

But I suppose the offenses are closer than I thought. Going forward though, I like the Packers' offense more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Well, I like Rodgers far more than Manning and I like the Packers' defense much more than the Giants' defense.

But I suppose the offenses are closer than I thought. Going forward though, I like the Packers' offense more.

I like the fact of avoid a team that you would play for the 3rd time in a season.

The defensive pressure seems to have gotten to Rogers. If the reason the Bears are not pressuring teams at home is due to the field they need to really do something about it. I know that is a hot topic but Urlacher shed new light on it.

Good to see Alberto couldn't help the Pack get on the board.

The Packers O-line really struggles against the Bears, there could be a few more holds called.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Going forward though, I like the Packers' offense more.

Going forward this season? Depends on whether playoff football = effective running like it did 15 years ago, or whether you can get away with winning a passing game contest.

Going forwards next year? Clearly Rogers > EManning, but that is really developing into a solid WR corps around Manning, and they have a better pair of running backs right now, although they keep fumbling.

The thing I would say is that both of them seem to have this weird relationship with their coach. The Giants seem to be able to kill anyone when they get up for a game, but they get up for a game a few times a season. The Packers seem to be ready to play, but they don't know how to stay under control and minimize the mistakes.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
I like the fact of avoid a team that you would play for the 3rd time in a season.

That too. Although we clearly seem to match up better with GB then the one game against NYG. But to our credit, we played the Giants incredibly tough considering the way our offense was unable to do anything. Also difficult to judge the game since not only did Cutler get knocked out, but he was clearly playing with a concussion for several series in the first half.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I'm fully supportive of the NFL suspending people for using their helmet as a weapon on tackles, but there really does need to be a payback. Some of these penalties need to be reviewable. The Pass Interference calls first, and some of these roughing penalties second.

I am in favor of the college version of pass interference of all 15-yard penalties. Too many times, teams get 55-yard penalties for very borderline PIs (sometimes not even legitimate).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Going forward this season? Depends on whether playoff football = effective running like it did 15 years ago, or whether you can get away with winning a passing game contest.

Going forwards next year? Clearly Rogers > EManning, but that is really developing into a solid WR corps around Manning, and they have a better pair of running backs right now, although they keep fumbling.

The thing I would say is that both of them seem to have this weird relationship with their coach. The Giants seem to be able to kill anyone when they get up for a game, but they get up for a game a few times a season. The Packers seem to be ready to play, but they don't know how to stay under control and minimize the mistakes.

I mean going forward for the rest of this year. Obviously only one can make the playoffs. I guess what I am saying is that I would consider this Packers team more dangerous in the playoffs than this Giants team, all things considered.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
The defensive pressure seems to have gotten to Rogers. If the reason the Bears are not pressuring teams at home is due to the field they need to really do something about it. I know that is a hot topic but Urlacher shed new light on it.

Good to see Alberto couldn't help the Pack get on the board.

The Packers O-line really struggles against the Bears, there could be a few more holds called.

In my mind there's no legitimate reason not to have field turf at Soldier Field.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
I am in favor of the college version of pass interference of all 15-yard penalties. Too many times, teams get 55-yard penalties for very borderline PIs (sometimes not even legitimate).

There's a reason why the NFL doesn't do that. Coaches will tell people that if they're beat on the long ball, just leap and tackle the guy before the ball gets there.

I think the way to do it is that it needs to be reviewable, so that a ref can overrule the call on the field on a 50 yard PI call if the video is clear.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
In my mind there's no legitimate reason not to have field turf at Soldier Field.

I think the entire world believes that, except for the Bears. I have heard they are not convinced that the field turf would be less dangerous than bad sod.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
There's a reason why the NFL doesn't do that. Coaches will tell people that if they're beat on the long ball, just leap and tackle the guy before the ball gets there.

I think the way to do it is that it needs to be reviewable, so that a ref can overrule the call on the field on a 50 yard PI call if the video is clear.

That's definitely the argument against it, but you don't see that happening in college.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
That's definitely the argument against it, but you don't see that happening in college.

I think that's the difference between the talent and coaching level between the 2 sports. I think Belichik would be all over that type of coaching if you gave them the chance.