Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Another brilliant 1st round draft by Angelo that results in maybe a 2nd round pick.

Everyone was thrilled with the Olsen pick at the time though. It sucks that he hasnt turned out, but I know a whole bunch of us thought he was going to be a star and the pick was regarded to be pretty good at the time. Picks like that and Benson I dont pin on Angelo as much as I do the player.

But dont get me wrong, Angelo has f***ed up a bunch of drafts

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Everyone was thrilled with the Olsen pick at the time though. It sucks that he hasnt turned out, but I know a whole bunch of us thought he was going to be a star and the pick was regarded to be pretty good at the time. Picks like that and Benson I dont pin on Angelo as much as I do the player.

But dont get me wrong, Angelo has f***ed up a bunch of drafts

He was regarded as a top 15 pick, who the Bears got very lucky in nabbing since he dropped, and other teams pretty much had good TE (or they had more glaring needs at other areas). It was a steal at the time, and still love the pick till this day.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
He was regarded as a top 15 pick, who the Bears got very lucky in nabbing since he dropped, and other teams pretty much had good TE (or they had more glaring needs at other areas). It was a steal at the time, and still love the pick till this day.

Then again maybe with the way he has played so far, the other 30 teams in front of the Bears were on to something...

You should be lucky to get a 2nd for Olsen, Mike Martz is not a TE friendly OC as you can see how Vernon Davis suffered under him and then once he left, wouldn't you know it a good season..

If you can get a 2nd for him, that would be great because Martz surely isn't going to utilize him properly..

I think a lot of Vernon Davis developing had to do with Mike Singletary as well. I'm not saying Martz's system didn't partake in Vernon not being a beast, but I think a lot more had to do with Vernon's maturity.

Regardless, Olsen was a major bust. He's not really a TE. Just a big WR. At the time though, I thought it was a good pick for the Bears because he seemed to be BPA.

The Bears have already begun contract negotiations with free agent FS Antrel Rolle.

It's been just hours since the Cardinals released him, to the Bears are getting down to business promptly. Ideally, they'll have Rolle signed up before the free agent market opens at midnight ET, and be able to turn their attention to DE Julius Peppers at that point. According to the Chicago Tribune, a deal with Rolle "could be in place within the next few hours."

Hm. If you add Rolle and Peppers to this defense, we might stand a chance next year. Then give the Cardinals the third they want for Boldin? Let's make it an all Bears offseason.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Hm. If you add Rolle and Peppers to this defense, we might stand a chance next year. Then give the Cardinals the third they want for Boldin? Let's make it an all Bears offseason.

We all have high expectations. It will be interesting to see if the Bears succeed in this plan. But boy would getting Rolle locked up before the deadline be huge. Than they can focus 100% attention on Peppers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)

SOLD!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)

This is the Bears we are talking about. I'll believe it when i see it.

Honestly, I thought that's what they should do. If not get Dunta Robinson. A guy on the cheap who may be a good get is Lito Sheppard. I think the Bears should honestly take a good look at him because they're corners are horrible.

Sign one of the RB's to compliment Forte, and add something in the way of an O-Line, and it'd be nice.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Just like every other sport.

True. But the NFL players' timelines are more sped up than most other sports because of the violent nature of the sport and higher decline of skills at a younger age.

There aren't many other sports where you are "over the hill" when you hit 30.

The NBA is a little like that, but not to the extreme that the NFL has experienced.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
The problem with the NFL is that today's high-priced free agent "studs" turn into overpaid old guys within only a few years.

At least in the NFL you can cut him at that point. In sports like MLB or the NBA, you are stuck with that contract for its duration and it can cripple franchises for years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
True. But the NFL players' timelines are more sped up than most other sports because of the violent nature of the sport and higher decline of skills at a younger age.

There aren't many other sports where you are "over the hill" when you hit 30.

The NBA is a little like that, but not to the extreme that the NFL has experienced.

Except in baseball those 28 year old studs who are coming up to free agency are often signed before hitting the open market so you're left with a group of 30+ year olds who by the 3rd year of their deal are old, expensive and ineffective. Also: a starting pitcher can break down at any age, once you start getting into the upper 20's it's like playing roulette. And worst of all; contracts in baseball are 100% GUARANTEED, at least in the NFL you can cut your old, expensive players loose with minimal collateral damage. These are your highest paid free agents from 2007 and their age at the time:

Torii Hunter 32 (good but there's still 3 years left on that deal and he's already 34), Aaron Rowand 30 (bad), Carlos Silva 28 (horrendous bust), Francisco Cordero 32 (decent but crippling his team financially), Andruw Jones 31 (horrendous bust), Jose Guillen 32 (huge bust), Luis Castillo 33 (bad), Scott Linebrink 32 (bad), Kaz Matsui 33 (real bad), Geoff Jenkins 34 (real bad), David Riske 32 (real bad), Octavio Dotel 35 (good), Eric Gagne 33 (real bad), Pedro Feliz 33 (solid), Tom Glavine 42 (real bad), Ron Mayhay 37 (bad)

And in 2006 your 2 highest paid free agents were Alfonso Soriano and Barry Zito, there aren't many worse contracts in baseball than those 2. Aside from Vernon Wells i can't think of any deals that rival them. Also in the top 10 highest paid that year were Matthews Jr., Schmidt, Pierre and Suppan, 3 of whom were 32+ when they signed their deals.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
And worst of all; contracts in baseball are 100% GUARANTEED, at least in the NFL you can cut your old, expensive players loose with minimal collateral damage.

I think thats how it should be.

If you're gonna have them commit to you for an agreed upon amount of money, you should have to hold up your end of the bargain.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
I think thats how it should be.

If you're gonna have them commit to you for an agreed upon amount of money, you should have to hold up your end of the bargain.

Maybe it should; but, to accomplish it in any other sport would involve a long term work stoppage that would make MLB's 1994/95 strike look like Spring Break in comparison. In fact, the NFL players are trying to reinstate guaranteed contracts with a potential upcoming work stoppage in 2011/12, so this "party" is just gettin' started.