Runners Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats you guys. I have been getting back into shape after being off running for two months with plantar fasciatis and then having another two months of bad running because I was trying to run through it. Trying to get my mileage up to 50/week by January 1. Eventually, I really want to do an ultramarathon. Probably a 50K to start.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
I dropped the ball on this one. I was at the Halloween Hustle too. How did it go? I ran a 19:21. Went out a little too fast and my lungs burned for a good chunk of the second and third miles.

Solid time, bud. This was probably my last race in 20-24 age class, and seeing the times--I could've destroyed my competition, before moving into the always tight 25-29 group. I ran this one with my girlfriend, so I wasn't going hard at all. This was her first race, and she did a great job--considering where she started from. I had her start a couch to 5K program a couple of months ago that she rocked. Her goal was to make sure she ran the whole race, and I didn't want her to experience any kind of disappointment in her first one. She did really, really well, and she's definitely hooked and a runner now.

Being that I didn't get to do it in the race, I pushed myself to a 19:47 5K run yesterday. Felt really good to do, as I've only gone sub-20 a few times (all in training). I can't wait to achieve that in a race, as I know I have it in me. I just have to want it enough on race day.

Too bad I didn't know you were doing this one; it'll be cool to run into you at one of these in the future. And thanks guys on the support; it's always appreciated.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Solid time, bud. This was probably my last race in 20-24 age class, and seeing the times--I could've destroyed my competition, before moving into the always tight 25-29 group. I ran this one with my girlfriend, so I wasn't going hard at all. This was her first race, and she did a great job--considering where she started from. I had her start a couch to 5K program a couple of months ago that she rocked. Her goal was to make sure she ran the whole race, and I didn't want her to experience any kind of disappointment in her first one. She did really, really well, and she's definitely hooked and a runner now.

Being that I didn't get to do it in the race, I pushed myself to a 19:47 5K run yesterday. Felt really good to do, as I've only gone sub-20 a few times (all in training). I can't wait to achieve that in a race, as I know I have it in me. I just have to want it enough on race day.

Too bad I didn't know you were doing this one; it'll be cool to run into you at one of these in the future. And thanks guys on the support; it's always appreciated.

My girlfriend ran her first race in years at the Hustle. She was nice enough to let me run hard, I just had to hustle back and run with her after I finished. All in all, I knocked out about five miles. We were the people in blue sweatshirts with the letters F, *, $, K and !. We chose to tone it down a little for the kids and had a late addition in the !. I was the F but I wore last years Chi Mar shirt during the part I raced then put the sweatshirt on when I ran with the girlie.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Knocked out a 1:28:45 half on a long course (13.25 miles; issue was a turnaround was farther than it should have been, we were talking to the guy who ran it after. Everyone's Garmins read between 13.25 and 13.28 miles).

Nice job man! What are you training for? Or are you? It probably says back in the thread, but I am lazy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)
Man, you guys are crazy. I've been running pretty much 6 days a week since about July and I still get ridiculously winded after 2.5 miles. I have no clue how people can run that damn much. Well done though, Zach, Steve.

Stop and walk after the 2.5 until you get your wind back, and then crunch out another mile. It will help you gain distance.

Anyone doing a turkey trot this week?

On Thursday, I'll be doing the Frozen Turkey 5K in Buffalo Grove. I thought the race I did w/ my GF at Halloween would have been my last one for the year, but I couldn't resist. I'm fairly confident in saying this will be it for the year though.

Also, I hinted at it above, but I am now officially signed up for the Wisconsin Marathon in May. Not that I'm not doing anything right now, but training for marathon #2 officially kicks off in the middle of January. I'm a bit nervous about the idea of training for something like this in the cold and dark of winter, with how averse I am to the season. But it will be good for me, and I know I can get it done.

Finished the racing year with a 20:23 in Buffalo Grove's Frozen Turkey 5K, one second off my racing PR. I still have never achieved the sub-20 5K in a race, but I know I have it in me and will get it soon.

Definitely a big, successful year for me, running races in 9 of the 12 months, including my first four half-marathons and marathon. This definitely isn't a bucket list sport for me; I look forward to getting better and achieving more in the next year!

Since junior year of high school, I started running after school on my own on a route without keeping track of time or distance, but it was safe to say I did about 40 minutes. I run five days a week for cardio and to stay in shape so the distance is irrelevant to me. In 2009, I completed the Chicago Marathon after running the 20 mile run along the lake front and several 10 mile runs at Waterfall Glen and 5ks at the Jim Bonfield Run in Downers Grove on Thanksgiving Day. I imagine that I finish 5ks in 20-25 minutes, 10 miles at 1:21.48 and my marathon time was 4:00.32.

EDIT: How often do you buy new shoes, what makes you want the shoes (light on your feet, good feeling, good mileage), and what brand do you like best?)

Edited by MuckFinnesota

Damn, you guys are motivating me. I remember in college thinking I will never allow myself to get out of running shape. Seventy+ pounds later, I am. I keep thinking I need to get down to some reasonable weight before running. Diet and walking have me down to 205 from 226. I've been planning on starting to run when my weight loss levels off.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Finished the racing year with a 20:23 in Buffalo Grove's Frozen Turkey 5K, one second off my racing PR. I still have never achieved the sub-20 5K in a race, but I know I have it in me and will get it soon.

Definitely a big, successful year for me, running races in 9 of the 12 months, including my first four half-marathons and marathon. This definitely isn't a bucket list sport for me; I look forward to getting better and achieving more in the next year!

My sister ran the Frozen Turkey and she said it was way too cold. She's a high school XC runner and has run a few halfs and other races with me this year so I trust her opinion on the weather. To come that close to a PR when you're lungs probably exploded, good race. She said her lungs still hurt well after the race.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Since junior year of high school, I started running after school on my own on a route without keeping track of time or distance, but it was safe to say I did about 40 minutes. I run five days a week for cardio and to stay in shape so the distance is irrelevant to me. In 2009, I completed the Chicago Marathon after running the 20 mile run along the lake front and several 10 mile runs at Waterfall Glen and 5ks at the Jim Bonfield Run in Downers Grove on Thanksgiving Day. I imagine that I finish 5ks in 20-25 minutes, 10 miles at 1:21.48 and my marathon time was 4:00.32.

EDIT: How often do you buy new shoes, what makes you want the shoes (light on your feet, good feeling, good mileage), and what brand do you like best?)

I personally wear Nike Lunaracers II. IMHO they are the best running shoe made. The originals were introduced for the Beijing Olympic Marathon. They are one of the lightest shoes on the market. The logic behind them is since they're so light, say you make 5,000 steps in a race, picking up an extra 3 grams per step in a different shoe adds up over the course of a race.

The second edition are slightly heavier (roughly 5.5 grams to 7.something grams). They use Nike's Flywire support so if you need a lot of arch support or need to protect over pronation, they're not a good choice. In my case, I have a neutral gait so they are perfectly built for me.

As for the distance, I have always heard roughly 300 miles you should get a new pair of shoes. The more you run, the more expensive that gets. Races alone I have over 100 miles on the pair I bought in June with probably 400 to 500 miles. I put off getting a new pair (pure laziness) but I will actually be buying a new pair next week. I can feel that my current pair are on their last legs.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Damn, you guys are motivating me. I remember in college thinking I will never allow myself to get out of running shape. Seventy+ pounds later, I am. I keep thinking I need to get down to some reasonable weight before running. Diet and walking have me down to 205 from 226. I've been planning on starting to run when my weight loss levels off.

I wouldn't wait until your weight loss levels off. I would supplement your weight loss with a run/walk program. I think if you can even get fifteen minutes of running and walking a day in, you're find you have more energy and you'll crave healthier foods. That would help to magnify your weight loss.

Why wait?

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
I wouldn't wait until your weight loss levels off. I would supplement your weight loss with a run/walk program. I think if you can even get fifteen minutes of running and walking a day in, you're find you have more energy and you'll crave healthier foods. That would help to magnify your weight loss.

Why wait?

I didn't, and it was very depressing how out of running shape I am. Basically at a slightly less than comfortable pace, I managed a half mile jog (how I hate that term), half mile walk, half mile jog. Beginning and ending with a 10 minute walk. I checked out Runner's World's website and started piecing together a beginner program.

Basically their program recommends 40 minutes three times a week. The middle half hour is a combination of running and walking with a switch over ten weeks from 75% walking to 100% running.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)

I use Brooks shoes almost exclusively now. I need a decent amount of support since i have been a heel striker lately after a broken big toe injury. They are the only shoes that have proven to alleviate my shin splints. Nikes used to kill my shins.

I do have a pair of cushioned Sauconys that I will use on occasion with speed work or plyo.