Dye says "crowded outfield" prolonged his slump

winninguglyin83

Less than two weeks before the start of spring training, JD (one of my favorites) has gone on the PR offensive about his lack of free-agent offers.

He did this interview with Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, insisting that he can still hit, that he's willing to play left field or first base and that when the Sox outfield got crowded with the arrival of Alex Rios last year that it helped to prolong his slump.

“It all boils down to once we got crowded in the outfield and I started playing every couple of days,” Dye said. “Before we got crowded, I was already in a couple-weeks slump. It was just a situation that built up.

“Having everyone rotate between the outfield and DH, doing all that, I think it made it that much tougher than being in the lineup every day, trying to work your way out of a slump. It just kind of piled up and piled up.”

I don't remember JD's playing time getting reduced that dramatically. When Rios first arrived, I suspect his nose got out of joint because the Sox were investing $60 million in a guy who lacked his track record.

Here's the link. It's an interesting read:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenth...t-signed-021010

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“At the same time, you’ve still got to prepare like you’re going to play … It has only been (4½) years since I was the World Series MVP. I’m a winner. Hopefully some teams out there can see that.”

Only 4 1/2 years? lol. C'mon, Jd. You're better than that. 4 1/2 years is a lifetime in pro sports.

Rios played his first game on August 11th. JD had more ABs in August than he did every month except for July. He missed 4 games in August--the same amount of games as he missed in June and one more than he missed in May. One of the games he missed was before Rios got here. So was he being shelved as a pinch hitter in August? No--he had at least 4 PAs in every game he played in.

Dye's playing time was curtailed in September (63 ABs), but by that time he was in a long slump. His not playing had more to do with his own performance and the White Sox being mostly out of the race than it had to do with Alex Rios.

I do think he can still hit, but he may have to be willing to DH in order to start the 2010 season with a starting gig.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

JD will never be forgotten for what he did in 2005. He gave the Sox many good moments and years.

He might even bounce back and have a decent season.

But he's kidding himself if he really believes a crowded outfield caused his off year. All he had to do was put together three or four good games and he would have never left the lineup.

didn't happen.

Time to move on -- for the Sox and Dye.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
If that wasn't the case yesterday, it is today. Whining attitude certainly doesn't help.

Well, JD almost got it right. The arrival of Rios did affect his numbers -- but not because he lost playing time. Fact is, he pouted. Big-time. That seemed pretty clear, just listening to him and watching him at the time.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Well, JD almost got it right. The arrival of Rios did affect his numbers -- but not because he lost playing time. Fact is, he pouted. Big-time. That seemed pretty clear, just listening to him and watching him at the time.

Its either that or he just admitted what people have started to speculate for a while... He is pretty weak mentally. Remember when the trade rumors popped up with him to Boston, the same thing happened.

Very professional JD. A little bit of competition shows up for your job and instead of stepping up and proving you belong, you pout and play worse than you ever have in your career.

Thanks for 05 and all the great years after, good luck wherever you end up (if you end up somewhere), cause it sounds like it definitely wont be on the Sox.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
If JD would improve his attitude and accept the fact that he could be quite useful as a DH, I'd welcome him back. But he seems bent on playing in the field. I don't know that he's going to get many offers.

If people are constantly willing to offer Damon >$6 million, I'd be fairly confident that people have made offers of at least half that amount to JD, but they're just holding out for something better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
If people are constantly willing to offer Damon >$6 million, I'd be fairly confident that people have made offers of at least half that amount to JD, but they're just holding out for something better.

I suppose it's safe to say that the Sox have not spoken to JD about coming back as a DH?

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Might be a bad decision on his part.

absolutely. It seems he has turned his nose up at more than a few offers because of that reason alone, and the longer he waits, the less the offer is going to be

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Does JD not realize that he can't play the outfield anymore?

His agent and he have obviously come to the conclusion that they think his career and his earnings potential can be prolonged/increased by refusing to accept a deal to be a DH and take the hit in the short run for the benefit of the long run.

Whether that calculated risk is one that will work out or not is another matter entirely.

If JD lost playing time after Rios arrival it was becuase JD was hitting .190 since the ASB and not just because Rios arrived. You can really wait to hit your way out of slump in mid august the season is almost over. JD lost playing time because he wore down in the second half and couldnt hit for s***, plain and simple.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Less than two weeks before the start of spring training, JD (one of my favorites) has gone on the PR offensive about his lack of free-agent offers.

He did this interview with Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, insisting that he can still hit, that he's willing to play left field or first base and that when the Sox outfield got crowded with the arrival of Alex Rios last year that it helped to prolong his slump.

“It all boils down to once we got crowded in the outfield and I started playing every couple of days,” Dye said. “Before we got crowded, I was already in a couple-weeks slump. It was just a situation that built up.

“Having everyone rotate between the outfield and DH, doing all that, I think it made it that much tougher than being in the lineup every day, trying to work your way out of a slump. It just kind of piled up and piled up.”

I don't remember JD's playing time getting reduced that dramatically. When Rios first arrived, I suspect his nose got out of joint because the Sox were investing $60 million in a guy who lacked his track record.

Here's the link. It's an interesting read:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenth...t-signed-021010

I know there are some who want to kick Dye when he is down and gone, but I for one think he still has something to give and would be a good signing by the Sox to play in RF, 1B and DH. He gives any team felixibiity and he is a great team player and leader. I am concerned at the offensive makeup of this club right now

Edited by elrockinMT