Soxtalk Keeper 1 Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
Still getting used to the fact that MC and Hanley will eventually gain 3B eligibility. That makes the position slightly deeper than it would've been if the Tigers and Mets hadn't signed Fielder and Reyes. This will no doubt be Bautista's last year of 3B eligibility. After that, the only "elite" 3B are Longoria, Zimmerman and Beltre. Sandoval was great in '09, sucked in '10, and was great again last year. His weight will always be an issue. He needs to put together consecutive productive seasons before you can put him in the elite (though he's clearly in the next-tier). Aramis and Youk are good when healthy. But they've both, as I'm sure you know, spent a lot of time on the DL the last few seasons. Michael Young? Meh. He's extremely BA-dependent. He surely won't knock in over 100 runs again and he's getting up there in age. David Wright is a joke and has been in a steep decline since his monster '08. Pay-Rod looked every bit his 36 years last year and doesn't figure to get better at 37. After that? The position is awful. You better get your 3B in the first 3, maybe 4 rounds. Otherwise, you're in deep s***. DBHAO had one of the worst drafts I've ever seen. But he got it right with Lawrie.

For the OF, you left out Pence, Cruz, Adam Jones, Victorino, Gordon, Hart and Berkman. We know what Beltran and Choo can do when they're healthy. Carl Crawford is one year removed from a top 10 yahoo finish. Jason Heyward is, what, 22? He sucked last year. But 2010 wasn't long ago. Guys like Upton, Young and Stubbs are average killers, but they provide power and speed. Bryce Harper will be an automatic add when he gets called up. Probably some other guys I'm forgetting. It's just a much deeper position. That's without even getting into potential injuries. If you lose a Longoria or a Zimmerman for a month, you're f***ed at that position until they get back. Scott Rolen? Mark Reynolds? Chase Headley? Those would be your replacements. You could lose a top-tier OF and have a much better chance of finding a decent replacement for the short-term (Andre Ethier and Nick Markakis, who both are going undrafted in some leagues, for example).

Only if you're in a NL-only league.

Haha, I'd feel bad if I didn't come last this season.

Considering who I had for keepers (Asdrubal Cabrera!!!!), I had no choice to rebuild. Might as well do that with the best prospects in the game.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
Haha, I'd feel bad if I didn't come last this season.

Considering who I had for keepers (Asdrubal Cabrera!!!!), I had no choice to rebuild. Might as well do that with the best prospects in the game.

he's just bitter. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
he's just bitter. :P

Why would I be bitter that he drafted half of BA's top 50 prospects list? lol. And what's all this mess about him having awful keepers? Jacoby Ellsbury, Prince Fielder, and Asdrubal Cabrera finished 3rd, 16th, and 43rd in Yahoo overall rankings last year. Gallardo is a top 15-20 pitcher. Hanson has health concerns. But c'mon. Dude is a stud when healthy. His keepers are hardly awful.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 04:47 AM)
Why would I be bitter that he drafted half of BA's top 50 prospects list? lol. And what's all this mess about him having awful keepers? Jacoby Ellsbury, Prince Fielder, and Asdrubal Cabrera finished 3rd, 16th, and 43rd in Yahoo overall rankings last year. Gallardo is a top 15-20 pitcher. Hanson has health concerns. But c'mon. Dude is a stud when healthy. His keepers are hardly awful.

His keepers were awful based on ADP. You can get Hanson 112th or something. Why would you keep that? Asdrubal is actually not a good player. You can take that to the bank. And Ellsbury will hit 15-20 hr this year. He'll be good - but not THAT good.

And next year, DBAHO will be a beast. It is a keeper league after all.

• 10 months later...

So, I renewed this league, but I seem to remember some discussion about whether people were interested in keeping this going. To those who participated last year, please let me know if you want to keep this league going or not.

I'm up for whatever, though personally I'd prefer a new draft/league with some kind of tiered keeper setup.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
So, I renewed this league, but I seem to remember some discussion about whether people were interested in keeping this going. To those who participated last year, please let me know if you want to keep this league going or not.

I'm up for whatever, though personally I'd prefer a new draft/league with some kind of tiered keeper setup.

I'm up for 2 keepers and 12 teams again. 10 is boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo, with two people out, I'm thinking the league isn't going to make it as is. I'd need AT LEAST two new guys, if not 4 (though the logistics of going back to 12 would be tough).

As for a new one, I've got MAYBE 4 after sending out PM's with no response. Let me know people!

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Soooo, with two people out, I'm thinking the league isn't going to make it as is. I'd need AT LEAST two new guys, if not 4 (though the logistics of going back to 12 would be tough).

As for a new one, I've got MAYBE 4 after sending out PM's with no response. Let me know people!

Keep me posted, I'll be down for whatever.