Soxtalk Keeper 1 Thread

knightni

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 18, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
looks like i wont make it. lame. picked up a shift so i'll be working.

s'ok though, i ranked my players and i still shall rape.

If by rape you mean finish anywhere but first, then you should be right. I've taken up residence as Champion yay these past few years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
If by rape you mean finish anywhere but first, then you should be right. I've taken up residence as Champion yay these past few years.

Those titles have asterisks attached to them. And as long as you continue to house Braun, anything you do will be in question.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Draft order and all keepers are set. Be sure to check the draft results page to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Ill assume that means when I picked my keepers on yahoo that it worked.. excellent..

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
I wanted some September call ups from waivers this year, but sadly DBAHO has drafted them all.

that was effing brilliant on his part.

by the way, my team does - as i predicted - rape.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
that was effing brilliant on his part.

by the way, my team does - as i predicted - rape.

You picked every player that I wanted right before or right after me every round. It got really frustrating.

I would have loved to read the chat as the draft was occurring, unfortunately was working and can't access Fantasy Sports on my Android Phone with a Google log-in for some reason (very frustrating).

I'm going to have some interesting choices for keepers come the end of the season, that's for sure.

BTW, interested to know who would have people chosen if they had the 1st pick in the draft as I did.

I was tossing up b/w Lawrie and Jay Bruce, went with Lawrie because he plays more of a premium position obviously.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
BTW, interested to know who would have people chosen if they had the 1st pick in the draft as I did.

I was tossing up b/w Lawrie and Jay Bruce, went with Lawrie because he plays more of a premium position obviously.

Reyes, Weaver or Castro.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)

I am so frustrated with Yahoo rankings. The fact that Lawrie was o-rank 45 was insane. IN SANE. I held him most of last year in two leagues, he played a solid month, and got injured again. His stock last year sort of blew up, but come on, Lawrie is unproven, and to be ranked in the top 50 fantasy players is ridiculous.

That being said, I do love him. To answer your post, I'm not a big fan of Bruce because he significantly weighs down a category (BA).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)

The irony is that OF is more of a premium position than 3B.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
The irony is that OF is more of a premium position than 3B.

Sorry, Reddy. This just isn't true. At all. The easiest positions to fill in fantasy - in no particular order: 1B, OF, SP, RP. 3B isn't that far off from SS and C as far as lack of depth goes.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 05:33 AM)
Sorry, Reddy. This just isn't true. At all. The easiest positions to fill in fantasy - in no particular order: 1B, OF, SP, RP. 3B isn't that far off from SS and C as far as lack of depth goes.

nope. you're completely, completely wrong.

easiest to fill? sure, but easiest to fill with elite talent? no.

3B now has: Miggy, Hanley, Longo, Bautista, Zimmerman, Wright, Lawrie, Sandoval, Young, Beltre, ARam, ARod, Youkilis

OF now has: Kemp, Braun, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Upton, Stanton, Granderson, Bruce, McCutchen, Holliday, Hamilton, (and then it starts falling off the map into 1-tool and 2-tool players)

And you need at least THREE outfielders. No matter what, even if you have one or two elite outfielders, your other two are bringing you down in some way, shape, or form.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:33 AM)

1B is one of the shallowest positions this year.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)
nope. you're completely, completely wrong.

easiest to fill? sure, but easiest to fill with elite talent? no.

3B now has: Miggy, Hanley, Longo, Bautista, Zimmerman, Wright, Lawrie, Sandoval, Young, Beltre, ARam, ARod, Youkilis

OF now has: Kemp, Braun, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Upton, Stanton, Granderson, Bruce, McCutchen, Holliday, Hamilton, (and then it starts falling off the map into 1-tool and 2-tool players)

And you need at least THREE outfielders. No matter what, even if you have one or two elite outfielders, your other two are bringing you down in some way, shape, or form.

Still getting used to the fact that MC and Hanley will eventually gain 3B eligibility. That makes the position slightly deeper than it would've been if the Tigers and Mets hadn't signed Fielder and Reyes. This will no doubt be Bautista's last year of 3B eligibility. After that, the only "elite" 3B are Longoria, Zimmerman and Beltre. Sandoval was great in '09, sucked in '10, and was great again last year. His weight will always be an issue. He needs to put together consecutive productive seasons before you can put him in the elite (though he's clearly in the next-tier). Aramis and Youk are good when healthy. But they've both, as I'm sure you know, spent a lot of time on the DL the last few seasons. Michael Young? Meh. He's extremely BA-dependent. He surely won't knock in over 100 runs again and he's getting up there in age. David Wright is a joke and has been in a steep decline since his monster '08. Pay-Rod looked every bit his 36 years last year and doesn't figure to get better at 37. After that? The position is awful. You better get your 3B in the first 3, maybe 4 rounds. Otherwise, you're in deep s***. DBHAO had one of the worst drafts I've ever seen. But he got it right with Lawrie.

For the OF, you left out Pence, Cruz, Adam Jones, Victorino, Gordon, Hart and Berkman. We know what Beltran and Choo can do when they're healthy. Carl Crawford is one year removed from a top 10 yahoo finish. Jason Heyward is, what, 22? He sucked last year. But 2010 wasn't long ago. Guys like Upton, Young and Stubbs are average killers, but they provide power and speed. Bryce Harper will be an automatic add when he gets called up. Probably some other guys I'm forgetting. It's just a much deeper position. That's without even getting into potential injuries. If you lose a Longoria or a Zimmerman for a month, you're f***ed at that position until they get back. Scott Rolen? Mark Reynolds? Chase Headley? Those would be your replacements. You could lose a top-tier OF and have a much better chance of finding a decent replacement for the short-term (Andre Ethier and Nick Markakis, who both are going undrafted in some leagues, for example).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
1B is one of the shallowest positions this year.

Only if you're in a NL-only league.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)
Still getting used to the fact that MC and Hanley will eventually gain 3B eligibility. That makes the position slightly deeper than it would've been if the Tigers and Mets hadn't signed Fielder and Reyes. This will no doubt be Bautista's last year of 3B eligibility. After that, the only "elite" 3B are Longoria, Zimmerman and Beltre. Sandoval was great in '09, sucked in '10, and was great again last year. His weight will always be an issue. He needs to put together consecutive productive seasons before you can put him in the elite (though he's clearly in the next-tier). Aramis and Youk are good when healthy. But they've both, as I'm sure you know, spent a lot of time on the DL the last few seasons. Michael Young? Meh. He's extremely BA-dependent. He surely won't knock in over 100 runs again and he's getting up there in age. David Wright is a joke and has been in a steep decline since his monster '08. Pay-Rod looked every bit his 36 years last year and doesn't figure to get better at 37. After that? The position is awful. You better get your 3B in the first 3, maybe 4 rounds. Otherwise, you're in deep s***. DBHAO had one of the worst drafts I've ever seen. But he got it right with Lawrie.

For the OF, you left out Pence, Cruz, Adam Jones, Victorino, Gordon, Hart and Berkman. We know what Beltran and Choo can do when they're healthy. Carl Crawford is one year removed from a top 10 yahoo finish. Jason Heyward is, what, 22? He sucked last year. But 2010 wasn't long ago. Guys like Upton, Young and Stubbs are average killers, but they provide power and speed. Bryce Harper will be an automatic add when he gets called up. Probably some other guys I'm forgetting. It's just a much deeper position. That's without even getting into potential injuries. If you lose a Longoria or a Zimmerman for a month, you're f***ed at that position until they get back. Scott Rolen? Mark Reynolds? Chase Headley? Those would be your replacements. You could lose a top-tier OF and have a much better chance of finding a decent replacement for the short-term (Andre Ethier and Nick Markakis, who both are going undrafted in some leagues, for example).

Only if you're in a NL-only league.

I guess my fantasy philosophy just differs greatly from yours. Although also do the leagues I play in, since I usually have OBP/SLG included. I hate 5x5 generally speaking because it is no where near relative to a players actual value. In OBP leagues I will never draft Cruz, Jones, Gordon, Hart or Berkman (the latter two because of injury/age). Choo and Beltran I like, but they're hardly elite. Upton, Young and Stubbs, again, are great in a couple categories and kill you in the others. Especially in my other leagues.

So sure, in 5x5 standard play, OF is a little deeper, but honestly 3B is just as deep as 1B this year and deeper than 2B and SS by far. I loved DBAHO's approach because with the KEEPERS he had (terrible) he stood no chance of competing this year anyway. Why not stash every good prospect and then get your choice of great keepers for next year?