Palm Pre

greasywheels121

I'm with Verizon and have been able to upgrade a couple of times, but have had the same phone for about five years now. I'm thinking it's finally time to take advantage of the upgrade that is included with my plan.

My biggest want in whatever phone I end up getting is the glory that is a qwerty keyboard. I do a decent amount of texting, and I'm horrible at using the WORD feature, so I'm always typing out texts letter-by-letter on the number pad.

Now that the Palm Pre is available on Verizon, I've been leaning that way. I was wondering if any of you Soxtalkers have any experience or thoughts on the Palm Pre from Sprint or Verizon.

I've had it for about 5 months.

I think WebOS is AMAZING. I really like the multi-tasking format.

BUT the phone itself feels cheaply made as everyone suffers from the "oreo effect" and my damn power button stopped working for no reason! You'll see all the issues people have with the build quality in the forum below. Also, the battery life is terrible.

Check out this site and its forums for everything you need to know about the Pre: precentral.net

I got it right when it came out for Sprint and got rid of it for a $200 loss within a few weeks. It was just cheaply made, the battery kept coming loose inside and would turn the phone off also. I did like the os though however when I had it the app store was still beta and didnt have anything.

If your main desire is a QWERTY keyboard, don't get a Pre. There are plenty of non-3G smartphones with a keyboard. For the Pre you will be required to upgrade your plan for data which is typically an extra $30/month. As mentioned above, Pre's apps are weak. Should you want a 3G smartphone, I think DROID is Verizon's best

i love my pre.

no, it doesn't have the amount of apps the iphone does, but its interface is awesome, i love the qwerty keyboard, and the web os is fantastic. it's also smaller than the droid/iphone, which is nice.

i haven't had any problems with it.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
My Wife is a regional big wig for Sprint. The Pre has been a problem for a lot of her corporate customers.

My Wife has this phone. She likes the phone itself, not the issues we have had with hardware. We are on our 4th version of this phone due to flaws with the manufacturing of the previous units. We had one flaw where the unit would power off when you slid the keyboard back. Another flaw where the WiFi wouldn't work at all. And another one where it wouldn't power up from the magnetic power source ( stone ). WebOS itself is pretty solid. Nice Linux core, and the apps are pretty responsive. The problem with this phone is that Palm came out with this one year too late. IPhone already has the market share, and now Android and the new Windows Mobile phone are going to provide pretty awesome alternatives to it with enough phone choices around it. Palm has nice technology however its going to get squeezed from the perception of issues because of the hardware.

If I was getting a phone. The Palm version, while nice and all, would be a 3rd or 4th choice. I would go IPhone or Droid right now for a smartphone and maybe the Windows OS for a 3rd choice.

Originally I was all hot for my Palm Pre, but over the months since getting it at launch it has yielded more problems than it is worth. At best, it may or may not work with your work email if you have Exchange. Every app worth a s*** costs money.

The webOS is quite awesome, and if they fixed this little problems with it, it'd be great, but at this point, I just want something that f***ing works. It's a slick little phone, but the no work e-mail has me looking forward to a Blackberry when I decide to cut my losses.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. These are the real reviews I was looking for.

I've waited this long; I'm going to have to explore what else is available before I finally rid myself of my rotary dial cell phone.

It shouldn't even be a question...get the Droid. It is really solid. So is the HTC android phone Verizon offers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
It shouldn't even be a question...get the Droid. It is really solid. So is the HTC android phone Verizon offers.

Yep, I have the Motorola Droid and I got my fiancee the HTC Droid a a month and a half ago, both are really solid phones. My Motorola Droid has the slide out keyboard, but I just use the touchscreen pad anyways. We both love our phones. My brother and sister both have IPhones and they Droid/Iphones are very comparable. You obviously won't have nearly as many apps yet on the Droid, but they will come in time.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
Yep, I have the Motorola Droid and I got my fiancee the HTC Droid a a month and a half ago, both are really solid phones. My Motorola Droid has the slide out keyboard, but I just use the touchscreen pad anyways. We both love our phones. My brother and sister both have IPhones and they Droid/Iphones are very comparable. You obviously won't have nearly as many apps yet on the Droid, but they will come in time.

Hey Chris, completely unrelated question, but whens your wedding? You guys set a date?