Will the White Sox anchor a new sports radio station in Chicago

thedoctor

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Good God no. The radio waves seem so much cleaner without mike north. I hope he goes away permanently. Hopefully he ends up in New York or someplace far away from here.

i think it's a near certainty that north would be part of the equation if a new station launched. hopefully, though, he'd have a limited presence on the sox broadcasts.

The local ESPN affiliate out here moved to FM about a year and a half ago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
If it means replacing Farmer, I'm all for it.

I've always been a Farmer fan and would hate to see him go (though moving him back to color commentary would be an improvement).

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Bring back John Rooney at all costs!!! :headbang Yeah I wish.

That would be awesome. Rooney and Farmer were an outstanding duo. Too bad it won't happen.

Edited by WCSox

NO WAY!! Im all for the creation of this sports talk station on FM, but FM for sports sucks. There is a reason the sox draw 122,000 people to their radio station and its becuase they are on a powerful 50,000 Watt AM station that can be heard hundreds of miles away. Why on earth would the team limit its broadcasts to the immediate 75 miles of the city, they would be reducing their listening audience. And part of glamour of the the sox on the radio is their affiliation with the most popular and listened to sports station in town. Their affiliation with the score and their personalities makes the sox on the radio what it is, and its makes them talked about on the score daily. Not to mention the tons of promotions, affiliations, and contests that the score does for all things sox related. There is no way to tell how much more revenue all that intangible stuff really drives to the sox. Severing this relationship at this point would seem extremely foolish.

I'm all for it if it involves Steve Dahl. Talk radio is so lame now. I dislike the sports stations because, well all they talk about is sports and I hate hearing about how bad my team is all the time. Dahl would mix in a few other topics plus he's really funny IMO. I miss the Steve Dahl/Ed Farmer exchanges. Mike North - yuck.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
NO WAY!! Im all for the creation of this sports talk station on FM, but FM for sports sucks. There is a reason the sox draw 122,000 people to their radio station and its becuase they are on a powerful 50,000 Watt AM station that can be heard hundreds of miles away. Why on earth would the team limit its broadcasts to the immediate 75 miles of the city, they would be reducing their listening audience.

You make a good point here, but there are other factors as well. The first is the inherently superior FM signal (as long as it's within range). The second is that the AM signal is there, but is often spotty hundreds of miles away. You can get the game down in Lafayette, IN, but the signal sounds like crap. And for this reason, there are often local AM affiliates that carry the game (hence, the White Sox Radio Network). Thirdly, anybody anywhere in the country can get a season's worth of internet/iPhone radio casts for $15 via MLB.com. Because of these factors, I imagine that the powers-that-be are more interested in improving local signal quality, as the out-of-area people are already taken care of.

And part of glamour of the the sox on the radio is their affiliation with the most popular and listened to sports station in town. Their affiliation with the score and their personalities makes the sox on the radio what it is, and its makes them talked about on the score daily. Not to mention the tons of promotions, affiliations, and contests that the score does for all things sox related.

The Sox have only been on The Score since 2006. They were on AM 1000 (WMVP) for much longer than that and it's not like they didn't promote the Sox at all. IIRC, one of the rumored reasons that Rooney left was because The Score couldn't (or wouldn't) pay him what he wanted.

I get The Score crystal clear 100 miles away here in Michigan.

I cannot, however, get Chicago FM radio here.

I hope that they can simulcast games on FM and AM, because there are no other White Sox radio network affiliates close enough for me to pick them up.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
I get The Score crystal clear 100 miles away here in Michigan.

I cannot, however, get Chicago FM radio here.

I hope that they can simulcast games on FM and AM, because there are no other White Sox radio network affiliates close enough for me to pick them up.

While coming back to TN after Christmas, I was getting a Bulls game on 1000 all the way to Northern Tennessee.