Afghanistan.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:35 AM)
$710 billion wasted on Iraq. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Taxpayers in Congressional District 14 (Foster) will pay $2.5 billion for total Iraq war spending since 2003. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:

1,047,264 People with Health Care for One Year OR

51,586 Public Safety Officers for One year OR

43,725 Music and Arts Teachers for One Year OR

253,699 Scholarships for University Students for One Year OR

451,722 Students receiving Pell Grants of $5550 OR

18,177 Affordable Housing Units OR

1,727,741 Children with Health Care for One Year OR

371,086 Head Start Places for Children for One Year OR

38,533 Elementary School Teachers for One Year OR

3,333,958 Homes with Renewable Electricity for One Year

:angry:

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
Wow... he's gonna send that directly to Secretary Gates? I guess Michael Yon (don't know who he is) has some kind of journalistic access?

If it's something the local Spanish base commander is responsible for that's jumping way over the chain, because it's something that can be handled via normal military channels - if it's something about the Spanish military in general, yeah, that's gonna require Gates and other diplomats get involved, tear a couple of new assholes.

He is a former special forces member who reports from Iraq/Afghanistan with the contributions of donors. Has some really good stuff out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Um...

President Hamid Karzai lashed out at his Western backers for the second time in three days, accusing the U.S. of interfering in Afghan affairs and saying the Taliban insurgency would become a legitimate resistance movement if the meddling doesn't stop.

Mr. Karzai, whose government is propped up by billions of dollars in Western aid and nearly 100,000 American troops fighting a deadly war against the Taliban, made the comments during a private meeting with about 60 or 70 Afghan lawmakers Saturday.

At one point, Mr. Karzai suggested that he himself would be compelled to join the other side —that is, the Taliban—if the parliament didn't back his controversial attempt to take control of the country's electoral watchdog from the United Nations, according to three people who attended the meeting, including an ally of the president.

Mr. Karzai blamed the lawmakers' resistance to his move on a foreign conspiracy, they said. The Afghan president's latest remarks came less than 24 hours after he assured U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that he was committed to working with the U.S. That phone call was precipitated by a similar—but less vitriolic--anti-Western diatribe Mr. Karzai delivered earlier last week.

Taxpayers in Congressional District 14 (Foster) will pay $2.5 billion for total Iraq war spending since 2003. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:

1,047,264 People with Health Care for One Year OR

51,586 Public Safety Officers for One year OR

43,725 Music and Arts Teachers for One Year OR

253,699 Scholarships for University Students for One Year OR

451,722 Students receiving Pell Grants of $5550 OR

18,177 Affordable Housing Units OR

1,727,741 Children with Health Care for One Year OR

371,086 Head Start Places for Children for One Year OR

38,533 Elementary School Teachers for One Year OR

3,333,958 Homes with Renewable Electricity for One Year

:angry:

Breaking news: War is not cheap. Sometime we have to assert ourselves to other countries and remind them who's boss.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Breaking news: War is not cheap. Sometime we have to assert ourselves to other countries and remind them who's boss.

When did you become a neocon? I didn't get that memo.

The reason people call the F-22 ridiculous is that the things are so grossly overpowered that they've made the very concept of fighter jets obsolete. Besides, those planes are not being made to kill any Iraqi's or Afghans.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
The reason people call the F-22 ridiculous is that the things are so grossly overpowered that they've made the very concept of fighter jets obsolete. Besides, those planes are not being made to kill any Iraqi's or Afghans.

Is there actually anyone they're being made to kill who, you know, exists? As far as I can tell, they're designed to kill the pilots of the Soviet fighter 2 generations past the current set of MiG's.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
They're cool if they can actually be used - I mean - we could order another 300 F-22s, but what the hell for?

It's the only economic stimulus dollars the Centrists and Republicans will allow us to spend?

They're cool if they can actually be used - I mean - we could order another 300 F-22s, but what the hell for?

Russia and China are both working on new fighter planes and I read something about the F-22 being a lot more capable in air-to-air combat than the F-35, who sacrifices dogfighting ability for utility. Staying one step ahead isn't a bad thing.

I really dont mind our defense spending all that much, it costs a lot to maintain a military. Sure, the wars have been kinda ugly, but that's the nature of the beast.