Gordon Beckham: Player of the Decade and future HOFer

ChiliIrishHammock24

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7169633

They project the best players of the next decade.....

C: Mauer

1B: Fielder

2B: Beckham (Will be in H.O.F)

SS: H. Ramirez

3B: Longoria

LF: Braun

CF: J. Upton

RF: Heyward

RHP: F. Hernandez

LHP: Lester

They project him at about 19 HR a year, and 93 RBI. Seems like a TON of RBI for only 19 HR, I suspect he hits around 25 if he is putting up 90+ RBI. But regardless, it's nice to see Becks getting some love. :headbang

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
That was my point. They didn't predict anyone new appearing.

tough to predict anyone having an effect over the course of a full decade if they're not yet in the majors. beckham's already a ridiculous stretch.

QUOTE (maki @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
tough to predict anyone having an effect over the course of a full decade if they're not yet in the majors. beckham's already a ridiculous stretch.

Which is why predicting players of the decade at the start of the decade is so silly.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Wow, they really do love Gordon Beckham.

They picked him over Kinsler, Pedroia, and Utley though? Hmm...

Well, Utley is 31 already, so I can see them thinking maybe he will decline during the second half of the decade...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Well, Utley is 31 already, so I can see them thinking maybe he will decline during the second half of the decade...

Yeah, that's true.

But I feel that Utley is so much better than Beckham, Kinsler, and Pedroia, that if he continues his type of production for around 4 more years, he should probably be on the list.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Wow, they really do love Gordon Beckham.

They picked him over Kinsler, Pedroia, and Utley though? Hmm...

Well Kinsler is 27, Pedroia is 26, and Utley is 31. It is assumed they should be hitting their prime right now, and will start their decline in 3-4 years. While Becks is 23 which means he probably won't start to decline for another 7-8 years, meaning he will get the better part of the next decade. These guys are all better now, but they are almost in between decades in terms of peeking.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, that's true.

But I feel that Utley is so much better than Beckham, Kinsler, and Pedroia, that if he continues his type of production for around 4 more years, he should probably be on the list.

4 years isnt a decade though. I think Beckham is going to be some kind of special, I always thought that everyone on here was over hyping him because well this is a sox message board but in the last 2 days ive heard him compared to manny ramirez and said to be the player of the decade at 2b so me thinks maybe we are under hyping this kid.

I wouldnt be surprised if he put up .300/.380 250-300 HR 1000+ RBI (depending on how good the team around him is) over the next decade and i pray hes a lifetime south sider. Mauer and Beckham battles in the AL C will be fun to watch.

Here's the argument for Beckham being better than Utley, Pedroia, and Kinsler.

It's the RBI's. Utley is already 30, so while he'll keep playing at a high level, it won't be for more than around 4-5 years. He's the only one of the three that would have RBI totals toward what's expected from Gordon, who will end up batting at 3rd, while Kinsler and Pedroia will probably be batting 1st and 2nd. If Alexei becomes a good #2 hitter, or a D2 and Mitchell combo takes that spot in front of Gordon, he'll have an RBI feast. Also, Gordon hit a majority of his HR's on the road, and once he adapts to our HR-friendly park, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to average 25-30 HR's.

I see him batting higher than .300; his eye is too good and he can put any outside pitch down the line. He's going to become one of the toughest outs in the league.

I see his prime years at .350 with 200+ hits, 50+ 2Bs, 30+ HRs, 100+ RBI and more walks than strikeouts. I think he's Jeter but better.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Here's the argument for Beckham being better than Utley, Pedroia, and Kinsler.

It's the RBI's. Utley is already 30, so while he'll keep playing at a high level, it won't be for more than around 4-5 years. He's the only one of the three that would have RBI totals toward what's expected from Gordon, who will end up batting at 3rd, while Kinsler and Pedroia will probably be batting 1st and 2nd. If Alexei becomes a good #2 hitter, or a D2 and Mitchell combo takes that spot in front of Gordon, he'll have an RBI feast. Also, Gordon hit a majority of his HR's on the road, and once he adapts to our HR-friendly park, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to average 25-30 HR's.

It's amazing how overrated RBI is.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I see him batting higher than .300; his eye is too good and he can put any outside pitch down the line. He's going to become one of the toughest outs in the league.

I see his prime years at .350 with 200+ hits, 50+ 2Bs, 30+ HRs, 100+ RBI and more walks than strikeouts. I think he's Jeter but better.

That's an insane year, and likely an MVP season.....I think you need to tune that back a bit. .350 average? I am hoping for a .315-.320 average.