looking forward to next offseason?

thxfrthmmrs

since most NBA teams are already looking forward to offseason in the summer, what about baseball? With the current payroll, the Sox should have around $20 million to play with next season after arbitration given the roster stays the same over the course of this season. Any one have a list free agents available next offseason?

I really hope the Sox do not resign Konerko or AJ, and use the money to pursue a big time first basemen or DH, given that they already have a solid core of young players, and 1 big bat or 2 is what is needed to put them in contention in the American League.

Wayyy to early for this...but if you must...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/2011...ree-agents.html

I would like to see us go after Carlos Pena for a 2 year deal. Kubel would nice too as a DH assuming his option is not picked up. As for pitchers, I would LOVE to get Brandon Webb, but he will go to the Yankees, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Assuming the roster stays the same and Thornton's option is picked up the Sox are going to owe about $90M to 14 players in 2011. (Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Thornton, Pena, Linebrink, Quentin, Pierre, Teahen, Rios, Viciedo, Ramirez)

Which basically means we've almost hit the ceiling right there alone, maybe 10-15M more tops

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Because the Red's have Yondor Alonso, right?

I wouldn't put much faith on a prospect, but he's a good one, but that is not the reason. (well.. only reason) Hell Votto was quietly shopped this offseason by the Reds supposedly fielding offers. I love AGon, but that's one of the few reasons why I wasn't so bend out of shape by him like others were here. The Reds (city, management itself etc..) will be a mess next season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I wouldn't put much faith on a prospect, but he's a good one, but that is not the reason. (well.. only reason) Hell Votto was quietly shopped this offseason by the Reds supposedly fielding offers. I love AGon, but that's one of the few reasons why I wasn't so bend out of shape by him like others were here. The Reds (city, management itself etc..) will be a mess next season.

Where did you here this?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Where did you here this?

Well thats why I put "supposedly" but from what I gather, The Reds were throwing Votto out there just to see what kings ransom they can land. Walt, of course, denied it strongly early on this offseason, but there were rumors (not to mention an inside source of mine, so take it with a grain of salt) that said he did indeed throw him out there. I believe next year he's arb eligible so his salary will jump. I would think they would move him to LF once Alonso is ready, but I'm not sure if the Reds would sub the offense for the defense in Votto since he's bad in LF. (not to mention it baffled me why they threw him out there in the first place, unless they were looking for a stud OF) I dunno what is up with the city and management though. Cinny predident said the financial stuff was "blown out of proportion" but the same thing was said about Detroit too. Never thought Granderson was gonna get dealt, but here we are. Then again.. Cinny signed Chapman for what 50 million, so who knows.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Well thats why I put "supposedly" but from what I gather, The Reds were throwing Votto out there just to see what kings ransom they can land. Walt, of course, denied it strongly early on this offseason, but there were rumors (not to mention an inside source of mine, so take it with a grain of salt) that said he did indeed throw him out there. I believe next year he's arb eligible so his salary will jump. I would think they would move him to LF once Alonso is ready, but I'm not sure if the Reds would sub the offense for the defense in Votto since he's bad in LF. (not to mention it baffled me why they threw him out there in the first place, unless they were looking for a stud OF) I dunno what is up with the city and management though. Cinny predident said the financial stuff was "blown out of proportion" but the same thing was said about Detroit too. Never thought Granderson was gonna get dealt, but here we are. Then again.. Cinny signed Chapman for what 50 million, so who knows.

Every player is thrown out there during the off-season. It's just that the level of seriousness varies all sorts of different degrees.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Every player is thrown out there during the off-season. It's just that the level of seriousness varies all sorts of different degrees.

No doubt, and in all honesty, it wasn't serious. But my point is that there were "discussions" now how serious they were, I have no idea.

Edited by SoxAce

If this past offseason was boring, this one has the potential to be even worse.

As mentioned earlier, Hudson, Flowers and Viciedo could all take on more prominent roles (5th, C, 1B/DH)...then there's also Jordan Danks and perhaps CJ Retherford could challege Nix for the utility spot.

Of course, 10 million things will change between now and then, injuries, non-performance, etc. That rotation is so good that KW might not want to invest so much money in a team and rely heavily on 3 rookies to make important contributions. OTOH, Hudson might be good to go already and Flowers is pretty darn close. The biggest question mark is definitely Viciedo...they've already invested $10 million into him, but that 1B/DH spot is (well, SHOULD BE) the easiest spot to find cheap/veteran talent if they have to plug in a hole for one year (I'm thinking of the Herbert Perry move b4 Joe Crede was ready to take over).

FWIW, I'm not sure that keeping Jenks around makes as much sense going forward if JJ Putz has a very good comeback season. There's definitely room in the pen to pare some payroll, and of course, Linebrink's soaking up valuable resources as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I always look forward to baseball being played, never really look forward to offseasons. But its a valid question...

since the Sox offense is still missing a big bat in the middle, i am interested in seeing which big name is available next offseason and dream of KW netting him from the yanks or the Bosox. but then again, if the young guys hudson, flowers, becks, alexei, rios and quentin perform above expection, we might still be cheering the the sox come october.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
since the Sox offense is still missing a big bat in the middle, i am interested in seeing which big name is available next offseason and dream of KW netting him from the yanks or the Bosox. but then again, if the young guys hudson, flowers, becks, alexei, rios and quentin perform above expection, we might still be cheering the the sox come october.

Who cares. Bad baseball is better than anything else.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
As mentioned earlier, Hudson, Flowers and Viciedo could all take on more prominent roles (5th, C, 1B/DH)...then there's also Jordan Danks and perhaps CJ Retherford could challege Nix for the utility spot.

With D2: the Mighty Danks, I think that at best, you pencil him in as a late-2011 callup unless someone gets hurt. He has serious work still to do in the minors.

Opinions are all over the board on Danks.

Some love the guy, some absolutely think he'll never be much more than Brian Anderson.

Like BA, all the physical tools...certainly a more fluid swing, but it will be his offense that decides whether he can ever stick in the majors as a starter. There's not much margin for error for him to be a corner outfielder (I suppose we could his compared his predicted offensive output to Ryan Sweeney, with more power hopefully), so he pretty much has to play CF.

I don't think we'll see ever see a Mitchell/Danks/Quentin/Rios OF, but stranger things have happened with White Sox prospects. Maybe the strangest of all would be Sox position prospects starting to make a consistent impact, starting with Beckham.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 02:04 AM)
I don't think we'll see ever see a Mitchell/Danks/Quentin/Rios OF, but stranger things have happened with White Sox prospects. Maybe the strangest of all would be Sox position prospects starting to make a consistent impact, starting with Beckham.

We would have to be extremely lucky if two of those guys pan out, yet alone one. That's why I don't waste my time on those "future projected lineups" in 2011 and beyond on the futuresox board. Lord knows how many threads I've seen since I've been here where I've seen Sweeney (noone knows if spects will get dealt too FYI) BA, etc.. outfield, Malone/Rauch the ace, etc.. etc.. It's a great scenario, but more than likely for all we know our next big time.. say... future young 3B stud for example, could be in another organization, or in this years (or next years) draft IF that.