Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
:lolhitting

I loves me some bad Showa era Godzilla installments, that is true. But not one of them can hold a candle to the 1954 original (the version without Raymond Burr spliced in, thank you very much).

The beauty of Incredibles and the way it ended, with the Underminer (the Mole Man parody) showing up and the family going into battle mode, was that it let the viewer know that this family of superheroes is out there fighting the never-ending comic book battle against the baddies. That those adventures are not chronicled for us in sequel upon sequel (akin to month after month in the comic world) doesn't diminish the satisfaction of imagining they are out there doing battle somewhere on our behalf.

:D

The Monsters Inc. talk brings up a key criticism of mine regarding Toy Story 2. The airport baggage conveyor belt seen was totally derivative of the Monsters climax scene with all the bedroom doors on the conveyors. Pixar ripping itself off. That's the lack of original ideas that I'm afraid the sequels could devolve into if they go that route.

You didnt quite answer my question though, you LOVE your godzilla movies. Lets say you were a kid/teenager when the original Godzilla came out. Would you think "I hope they dont make another. This is great, dont mess with perfection."?

Its all in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like reading books/comics/watching movies that continue on with a character or storyline. I want to know what happens next.

And I am sorry, but your Monsters Inc/Toy Story 2 criticism is kind of weak. There have been plenty of movies that have made fun of the mysterious behind-that-door baggage service at airports. The story in itself didnt rip anything off, maybe they did use a similar idea in one scene, but overall the movies arent very similar.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Ice Age isn't Pixar. Not a bad film though, I agree.

Wow.. could have fooled me. Well I enjoyed A Bug's Life as well as far as analyzing it. (had to watch it in my H.S. film class) Dunno if Antz is Pixar too (don't think it is) but it was good as well.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
I really have to go back and watch Monsters Inc. that was easily my favorite Pixar film prior to the release of The Incredibles. Given that the last time I saw it I was about 15 years old I wonder how it would sit with me at age 23, I could see myself enjoying it even more now that I'd be able to spot the nuances of the film and comprehend more of the references. (The Simpsons Effect, if you will)

Monsters Inc. is my favorite.

Dreamworks-Antz, Shrek series, Kung Fu panda, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Bee Movie, Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon this month, (As well as The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Flushed Away

Ice Age is Blue Sky Studios, originally supposed to be Fox Animation

Pixar- Toy Story series, Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, Chicken Little, Finding Nemo, Cars, Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille

Until I looked at it like this, I never realized how many movies Dreamworks has cranked out already

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
You didnt quite answer my question though, you LOVE your godzilla movies. Lets say you were a kid/teenager when the original Godzilla came out. Would you think "I hope they dont make another. This is great, dont mess with perfection."?

Its all in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like reading books/comics/watching movies that continue on with a character or storyline. I want to know what happens next.

And I am sorry, but your Monsters Inc/Toy Story 2 criticism is kind of weak. There have been plenty of movies that have made fun of the mysterious behind-that-door baggage service at airports. The story in itself didnt rip anything off, maybe they did use a similar idea in one scene, but overall the movies arent very similar.

I stand by my criticism of pixar raping itself in two successive films. Had they been lampooning some other cultural touchstone I wouldn't take issue with it, but it was at best two production teams that didn't communicate, and at worst a rare example of pixar being lazy.

That is what I'd like to see them avoid - lazy, uninspired filmmaking. And so far they have done a remarkable job of it.

Re, the Godzilla comparison. I love the franchise because it got so campy and low rent and that was part of my childhood. There is no question in my mind that the reputation and legacy of the original film has been dameged by decades of shoddy remakes. So, if the goal in serializing pixar's best work is to provide camp fodder for a new generation of kids, then let the subpar sequels fly. I may be selfish here, but my hope is that the amazingly rare phenomenon of a flawless big screen track record that is pixar remains intact.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
I stand by my criticism of pixar raping itself in two successive films. Had they been lampooning some other cultural touchstone I wouldn't take issue with it, but it was at best two production teams that didn't communicate, and at worst a rare example of pixar being lazy.

That is what I'd like to see them avoid - lazy, uninspired filmmaking. And so far they have done a remarkable job of it.

Re, the Godzilla comparison. I love the franchise because it got so campy and low rent and that was part of my childhood. There is no question in my mind that the reputation and legacy of the original film has been dameged by decades of shoddy remakes. So, if the goal in serializing pixar's best work is to provide camp fodder for a new generation of kids, then let the subpar sequels fly. I may be selfish here, but my hope is that the amazingly rare phenomenon of a flawless big screen track record that is pixar remains intact.

I just done see how sequel for a movie ruins this track record. What if Brad Bird meant the Incredibles to be a 3 story Arc, and the Moleman was leading into it? With the game tie-in, it is possible

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
I just done see how sequel for a movie ruins this track record. What if Brad Bird meant the Incredibles to be a 3 story Arc, and the Moleman was leading into it? With the game tie-in, it is possible

play the game then. :-)

I kid because I care

Thought "Paranormal Activity" was ok. Nothing special. Some creepy moments, but nothing that will prevent me from sleeping.

Some of the moments should of been done differently/slower.

And when tension started between the couple, it felt cheesy. IMO

Oh yeah, and Katie has nice bewbs.

Edited by Brian

Yeah, Predators looks like it may be totally over the top badass, the same way Aliens was as a followup to the original. I'll just pretend that none of the Predator films other than the first one exist and treat this one as the followup.

Full Disclosure: I did like the first AVP, although Requiem had to be one of the biggest turds I've ever watched.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
Yeah, Predators looks like it may be totally over the top badass, the same way Aliens was as a followup to the original. I'll just pretend that none of the Predator films other than the first one exist and treat this one as the followup.

Full Disclosure: I did like the first AVP, although Requiem had to be one of the biggest turds I've ever watched.

I thought the first AVP was hurried, I couldnt believe they rating restricted it, and made the Predators look rather weak overall, but it wasnt horrible like Requiem was. I will watch the first AVP no problem.

Fake Boobs Need Not Apply for Pirates 4:

Beautiful Female Fit Models: Must be 5'7-5'8, Size 4 or 6 - NO BIGGER OR SMALLER. Age 18-25. Must have a lean dancer body. MUST have real breasts. Do not submit if you have implants. This is a show and tell of costumes with the director and the producers. Plan on an entire day of trying on clothes and being photographed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)

I actually like this. He looks the part, and he was, besides Michael Chiklis, the only guy who actually acted the part well in the F4 movie.

From what I am reading, CA is going to be a lot darker of a movie though

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Randomly got the urge to watch "Sudden Death" with JCVD so I went to the netflix website thinking that it might be one that you can watch instantly, but no they don't even have it on dvd. Bummer.

That was on earlier today on one of the movie channels.