Ozzie Guillen's Approval Rating

Hawkfan

Ozzie Guillen Approval Rating  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is everyone's opinion on Ozzie Guillen?

• Ozzie Guillen Forever!
    • On the hot seat and should be gone without a division title this year
    • Should have been gone years ago! He is a disgrace to the oraganization.
    • Ozzie's job is stable, and should be around for at least 2 more years

QUOTE (Ultimate Warrior @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't put any value into BA. It doesn't give bigger hits like doubles, triples, or homeruns any extra value, and it doesn't count walks. Adding walks into the equation alone give it much more value, hence OBP. A walk is just as good as a single.

I'm sure you have seen something like this before.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/07...stats-with-runs

I just don't even bother with avg anymore. OPS is way better at evaluating how talented the hitter is.

A walk is only as good a a single if no one is on base.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ultimate Warrior @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't put any value into BA. It doesn't give bigger hits like doubles, triples, or homeruns any extra value, and it doesn't count walks. Adding walks into the equation alone give it much more value, hence OBP. A walk is just as good as a single.

I'm sure you have seen something like this before.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/07...stats-with-runs

I just don't even bother with avg anymore. OPS is way better at evaluating how talented the hitter is.

You really should. You won't find a player evaluator on the planet that simple ignores batting average. There's something inherently valuable about knowing how often a player gets a hit, it doesn't tell you everything you need to know which is why we have other stats to add more clarity to the situation but these other statistics do not making H/AB obsolete.

OPS is a nice stat and all but it has some tremendous flaws in it's own right, a stat like wOBA has attempted to fix some of these flaws by using a runs value for XBH that actually makes sense rather than the 1, 2, 3, 4 that's applied with SLG while applying it to a scale we can understand (OBP).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
I guarantee you, if Jones and Kotsay falter for the first 2 months and we're still in the thick of things you'll see a big lefty bat acquired to take over that role. Keep an eye on Lance Berkman and how he bounces back from knee surgery, that guy makes a ton of sense.

Berkman would be awesome. it would give us either our next 1B or DH.

I'm seriously tired of all these crazy lineup antics.

If our offense blows hard, I'm saying it's Ozzie's fault for batting Mark Kotsay third and DHing Omar Vizquel. Even when that might not be the complete downfall of the offense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Nix is supposed to be above average at 2B (but didn't look it last year), and is bad at SS and 3B. Nix and Vizquel are not in the same universe defensively.

Nix was damn impressive at 2b, and the numbers back that up. He wasn't bad at 3b either. Look, i recognize that Vizquel is the better defender of the two, and that Nix is a flawed player, but there's no need for you to continue disparaging attributes that are actually his strengths.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Perhaps in the same sense that Mark Teahen could also play every infield position. Vizquel is a truly elite defensive player at SS, and above average at 2B and 3B. Nix is supposed to be above average at 2B (but didn't look it last year), and is bad at SS and 3B. Nix and Vizquel are not in the same universe defensively.

Nix is a hell of a second baseman. And he did look like it last year. His range was definitely well above average last year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Nix was damn impressive at 2b, and the numbers back that up. He wasn't bad at 3b either. Look, i recognize that Vizquel is the better defender of the two, and that Nix is a flawed player, but there's no need for you to continue disparaging attributes that are actually his strengths.

disparaging?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Nix is a hell of a second baseman. And he did look like it last year. His range was definitely well above average last year.

All the scouting reports I read said he was a plus defender at 2B. My eyes told me he didn't live up to that level, and the numbers I've seen indicate he was a slight plus there, but in limited playing time. That's why I said he was a disappointment there. But I added that he was supposedly a plus guy there, because I do believe he'll probably show that with more time.

SS and 3B, he had even more limited time, and I'll just have to disagree with you that he wasn't bad there.

What I was responding to, BTW, was someone trying to say that he and Vizquel were interchangeable defensively as a utility IF, which is ridiculous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
disparaging?

All the scouting reports I read said he was a plus defender at 2B. My eyes told me he didn't live up to that level, and the numbers I've seen indicate he was a slight plus there, but in limited playing time. That's why I said he was a disappointment there. But I added that he was supposedly a plus guy there, because I do believe he'll probably show that with more time.

SS and 3B, he had even more limited time, and I'll just have to disagree with you that he wasn't bad there.

What I was responding to, BTW, was someone trying to say that he and Vizquel were interchangeable defensively as a utility IF, which is ridiculous.

I didnt see Nix being decent anywhere but 2B, Not SS, 3B or LF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
disparaging?

Vizquel is definitely the better SS and 3B, but Nix is probably just as good as Vizquel at 2B.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
He may be controversial, but I think he's still "their guy." There are really only two ways I see Ozzie leaving this organization: either he randomly becomes completely incompetent (not going to happen) or he leaves on his own free will.

I don't believe that Ozzie is going to have this job for as long as he likes. He's a solid manager, but he's not Bobby Cox or Tony LaRussa.

I agree that Ozzie's long-standing ties to the organization will allow him to stay longer than somebody without that background. And, of course, winning a WS in his second year helps tremendously. But I don't believe that the Sox are married to Ozzie or anything close to it.

QUOTE (Ultimate Warrior @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 02:34 AM)
You don't think we could have afforded Jack Cust's $2.65 million dollar contract? Russell Branyan was pretty cheap too. Look at Thome. Ozzie said he would love to have him, but would barely be able to find him any at bats, due to his brain dead rotating DH idea. There were plenty of cheaper, MUCH better alternatives to what we have now. KW gave Ozzie exactly what he wanted, and that was talent lacking "grinders" like Omar Vizquel and Mark Kotsay. We could have used the money we spent on them to sign Cust or Branyan, or possibly even matched the Tigers offer to Damon with the extra couple million we would save.

Cust and Branyan? Really? Just grabbing at straws there. If we're looking for serious improvement over what the Sox currently have, those two guys are not it.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 03:26 AM)
There was no way they were going to pay Damon as much as the Tigers paid for him.. I also even question how serious they were in bringing Damon in..

And either way, Vizquel and Kotsay are making this roster so if we don't sign them and use that extra money to sign Damon who is going to fill those two spots?

Cust is the exact same player as Thome, low BA high OBP and power.. they didn't want Thome anymore, why would they bring in the same type of player? Branyan doesn't solve any problems for us either, so your plan for us is no better than whats going on anyways..

They were very serious.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
I guarantee you, if Jones and Kotsay falter for the first 2 months and we're still in the thick of things you'll see a big lefty bat acquired to take over that role. Keep an eye on Lance Berkman and how he bounces back from knee surgery, that guy makes a ton of sense.

I'm not sure about Berkman, but your point is correct. If they don't like it, they will do something about it as long as it isn't ridiculous.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm seriously tired of all these crazy lineup antics.

If our offense blows hard, I'm saying it's Ozzie's fault for batting Mark Kotsay third and DHing Omar Vizquel. Even when that might not be the complete downfall of the offense.

Guess you missed that post I made a few back.